Thread: NFPA Standard

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NFPA Standard

Hello Bro's

I need some info. I will be going head to head with a chief in my fire district about RIT. He is the a new chief that has a hard time doing anything that doesn't have an NFPA standard. Conciquently he doesn't believe in RIT. He doesn't think that you need any specialized training to rescue a firefighter in trouble. Well he's right. Except, I would prefer a specialized team to lessen the chances of being found dead.

So, My question. Is there a NFPA standard that covers Rapid Intervention on the fireground? If so would you have a copy that could be sent to me?

Thanks,

MB

Be Safe

Forum Member

The concept of RIT as it is known today is a fairly new animal. FDNY has focused on ff rescue with their rescue companies and FAST concept, but the NY guys can give you info on that. As far as NFPA i dont beleive that there is a specific standard dealing exclusively with RIT, but NFPA 1500 talks about it i beleive. You should check out rapidintervention.com for some better information on RIT.

Forum Member

NFPA 1500 has a section devoted to rapid intervention teams. Stop by www.rapidintervention.com for more detailed information...
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

Forum Member

Originally posted by PBFTRK33
    NFPA 1500 has a section devoted to rapid intervention teams. Stop by www.rapidintervention.com for more detailed information...
    And there you have it...... from THE MAN, himself.....

Forum Member

Nope, just a mere mortal trying to do a good deed...
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

MembersZone Subscriber

Jim,

I couldn't find the standard on your web site. Where is it on the site?

Have you heard of the RIT program that the Barnstable County Fire/ Rescue Academy in Massachusetts has put together? If so what is your opinion. This is the link to their web site:Barnstable Fire Academy Web Site I am planning on attending this training so that I am trained to their technician level.

Forum Member

I don't have the NFPA standard on my site. I believe they would be upset about that. You have to contact NFPA and purchase their 1500 standard from them. It's not a real thick standard. The title is NFPA 1500; Occupational Safety and Health standard. If you need more direction on where to look let me know or email me at [email]PBFTRK33@msn.com

I have heard of the program there but am not familiar with the curriculum...
    Last edited by PBFTRK33; 02-29-2004 at 05:42 PM.
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

Forum Member

sfd,

Living in Barnstable County, and being on the staff at the academy may make me biased, but its a damn good program. They recently restructured it and spread it out over 4 days. You don't have to take all 4 at once, in fact they are split up by a month or so.

shoot me an email if you have any questions.

email

Protective Economist

Default Re: NFPA Standard

Originally posted by sfdeng2
    So, My question. Is there a NFPA standard that covers Rapid Intervention on the fireground? If so would you have a copy that could be sent to me?
    The NFPA Technical Committee on Fire Service Training has received approval from the Standards Council to develop a RIT training standard. So, it's a work in progress. As others noted, NFPA 1500 makes reference to RIT and plenty of other safety issues.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Default NFPA On RIT

I looked at My list of NFPA and did not see on. But you mite want to look at the NFPA web it should have a full list of all the current NFPA. I myself have be though several Rit team classes at Alabama fire college.My department is a strong Belever in RIT. Sorry I couldn't be more help,but let me know if you find an NFPA on rit

firerat

On my department we train on it. RIT also falls under Self rescue (I belive) Many departments in the county I live in take a 2 day course. I will see if I can get the information on it for yoo. I will also look for the NFPA stadard on it. I remember reading it in there.

Forum Member

Does 1500 also cover 2in-2out?
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    ______________________________ __________________
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Forum Member

No, the 2 in 2 out rule is covered in the OSHA standard. RIT and IRIC is covered in NFPA.
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

For the Rapid Intervention for Rescue Members is under NFPA 1500 Page 23 8.5 in the 2002 edition. If you need a copy of this let me know..
    Hope this helps...

Thread Information