MembersZone Subscriber

Default "Old Flashlight Question"

Any body ever seen a flashlight like the one displayed? Were they ever used by fire depts much? think they were 12v dry cells or maybe 6v. The battery was big and made most of the assembly. The red light flashed I think. Main light was a sealed beam. Are they still made or can you get the batterys for them?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Forum Member

I think my grandfather had one of those when I was growing up. As I remember, it had two 6-volt lantern batteries and the back light did flash. He carried it in his van for camping and roadside emergencies.

Not sure if this type ever saw fire service use, but wouldn't surprise me
    Last edited by SafetyPro; 02-27-2004 at 06:17 PM.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

Looks like a Wheat Light........ I'll see if I can find a pic........ we still have some..........

Forum Member

OK, not the same one, but similar. I never noticed the light on the back of yours......

Forum Member

77, yours is a Wheat light - it's got a rechargable battery that you have to keep the water/acid topped off, right?

That other thing we used to call a Commando Light (I have no idea why - that's what the old-timers called it 16 years ago). They had a dry cell battery - don't remember the voltage - but the battery terminals were used to screw the light assembly to the top of the battery by means of two black plasic nuts. We had some of them and some Wheat lights when I got hired, and I always guessed that because they were rechargable, the Wheat lights won out.
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176

Forum Member

Originally posted by EdShanks
    77, yours is a Wheat light - it's got a rechargable battery that you have to keep the water/acid topped off, right?

That other thing we used to call a Commando Light (I have no idea why - that's what the old-timers called it 16 years ago). They had a dry cell battery - don't remember the voltage - but the battery terminals were used to screw the light assembly to the top of the battery by means of two black plasic nuts. We had some of them and some Wheat lights when I got hired, and I always guessed that because they were rechargable, the Wheat lights won out.
    Yep. Ours is the Wheat Light. Still have some at the station and on a couple of the rigs. One Capt. has always been attached to them. He just found out the other night that we are getting rid of them for good............. Never seen the Commando light before..........

Forum Member

My dept actually had a few of these lights. We found them buried in one of the compartments of a truck we were replacing, when we were taking everything out to put in the new truck. They were the exact same lights you had in the drawing. They ran on 2 6 volt "lantern" style batts. According to the members that have been on the dept since we got the old truck in 1980, they were new then. We tossed them because they were in such disrepair, Heavy things, definately couldn't see lugging one of those around in a fire.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

That there is pretty little thing, like to add one to the engine!!

Forum Member

used to have one as a kid ............the handle would lift up and was red an blinked ..............what was the name of them .........grrrrrrrrrrr
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Originally posted by Fire40man
    That there is pretty little thing, like to add one to the engine!!
    How about the ambulance.. or the mini-pumper.........

MembersZone Subscriber

Flip the battery around and you'll see 2 slots to run your belt through....coal miners wore the battery there and ran the wire and light up to their hard hat. They never look each other eye to eye when talking either!

Forum Member

Originally posted by R1SAlum
    Flip the battery around and you'll see 2 slots to run your belt through....coal miners wore the battery there and ran the wire and light up to their hard hat. They never look each other eye to eye when talking either!
    That's what I'll do............ I'll make up my own little Go-Go-Gadget Belt with one of these on there!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

My old dept had one of those. (Not the wheat light) It was yellow and had Civil Defence markings one the side of it. It was still in mint condition too... never used.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Firefighter430

The light you have described was found on all of our equipment when I first started in 1969. Those were the days before the plastic cases and rechargable lights.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Yup ! ...................

Dry 6 Volt battery. Problem is those old lights are metal, and they don't make metal any more. Think I'm kidding? Steel mills are filing chapter O Poop all over the place, and all the lights out there are PLASTIC (except the Aluminium MagLites). Oh Well..............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

QUOTE]Originally posted by firenresq77

Yep. Ours is the Wheat Light. Still have some at the station and on a couple of the rigs. One Capt. has always been attached to them. He just found out the other night that we are getting rid of them for good............. Never seen the Commando light before..........
    [/QUOTE]

wow 20 yrs is a long time. remember those thingys real well!! we still have about 12 of those in storage room, 77 what r u guys gonna do with them?
    Last edited by hotboy; 03-01-2004 at 04:59 AM.
    If we don't do it nobody else will!!!!

Forum Member

Originally posted by hotboy

wow 20 yrs is a long time. remember those thingys real well!! we still have about 12 of those in storage room, 77 what r u guys gonna do with them?
    Probably going into the city's auction..........

Forum Member

Are you gonna give one of those to Captain Red ? I mean if you had them for 20 some years Capt. Red wasnt even in his PRIME yet ........
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all the replies. I did a little checking and I think that a company called "RayOvac" made this light. They also made these huge 6 or 7 "D" cell silver (chrome) lights that used be popular. They were so big they had a strap to carry them. They also made what I used to call the "Silver Bullet" flashlights that were 2 "D" cell units. My dad carried one in his truck. You sometimes had to shake it to make it work. I'm glad that flashlight tech has come a long way. Most of the older members remember these lights along with the old waterproof 6 volt lanterns, and the sealed beams mentioned in the post but what else was used? Was there any production firefighting light back in the 50s to 70s like today?

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell

MembersZone Subscriber

Confirmation that it's a model #303 made by RayOvac which was discontinued in 1986. As stated before since they no longer make metal the updated version is plastic but it still comes in at 18oz without the battery. I bet the old one was in the 3-5 pound range with the battery. Makes the Litebox seem like a feather.
    Last edited by Firefighter430; 03-01-2004 at 01:00 PM.

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell

Forum Member

Question

Does anyone remember the old carpenter light? It was 6 volt, in a metal box with a big head light. The battery had to be taken out of the box and charged using the truck battery charger with clips on the terminals. These were good lights, but you couldn't angel them as the battery acid would come out throught the seal where the top was attached to the bottom. I had one wired into an old GMC/Pirsch hose wagon, 6 volt system, and we use it as a spot light. Didn't have a regular spot light on the officers side of the windshield.

I still have on of the other types that was mounted on the running board and an old wheat light. I also have several old oil lanterns that were before the battery type lights!!!

Stay Safe & Well out there....

MembersZone Subscriber

So CaptOldTimer was the carpenter's light, wheat light and the 303 the LiteBox of their day?

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell

Forum Member

Yes they was. At that time this was all that was available. As time went on, better portable lights came to be and the older lights were put away. If you see an old piece of apparatus with running boards, you may see where the old handlights were carried, if they haven't removed the mounting bracket. Go to a muster where old apparatus are there and look at the tools and equipment on them. You may find or see an old hand light or two. Someone may be selling some of them.

These lights now being sold are the best and safest light you can buy. I happen to have a streamlight box and a survivor light that I am using now. They are good and they may be some as good or even better out there.

Good luck.

Stay Safe & Well out there.....

Forum Member

You may be able to find the light at Ebay. Just keep checking stuff there changes all the time. I saw the battery for sale recently at my local True Value Hardware store.
    Why do I *always* have to be the calm one?
    Note to self: first spell check then post.

Forum Member
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Thread Information