Thread: term paper

Forum Member

Default term paper

does anyone know what the 10 worst structure fires in US history were? any help would go a long way.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

Default Big ten

These are some of the Big fires in Americas history. The most deadly fires were theatre fires and club fires.

The Great Chicago Fire
    Chicago, USA, 1871 (300 people killed)

Iroquois Theatre Fire
    Chicago, USA, 1903 (602 people killed)

Brooklyn Theatre Fire
    Brooklyn, USA, 1876 (about 300 people killed)

MGM Grand Fire
    Las Vegas, USA, 1980(85 people killed)

Winecoff Hotel fire
    Atlanta, USA, 1946 (119 people killed)

Triangle Shirtwaist fire
    New York, USA, 1911 (146 people killed)

Cocoanut Grove fire
    Boston, USA, 1942 (492 people killed)

Beverly Hills supper Club Fire
    Southgate, USA, 1977 (165 people killed)

Our Lady of the Angels school fire
    Chicago, USA, 1958 (92 children and 3 adults killed)

New London School fire
    New London, USA, 1937 (294 people killed)

I didn't include the big city fires of circus fires but they were also huge loss of life fires. Do some serching and you should find a ton on the fires above.

Permanently Removed

Default Others...

Some of the biggest dollars lost fire were in CA-

1991- The Oakland/Berkeely Hill Fire (Alameda County)

1993- The Laugna Beach Fire (Orange County)

I am not sure about the fires in Malibu Fire
    (LA County)

I have seen 2 books that discuss these fires
    amoung the other ones listed above. Good job
    by the way!

Forum Member

thanx for the help guys. does anybody know where in the top ten the Rhode Island nightclub, The Station, falls? thanks again for the help.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

Forum Member

Default Rhode Island fire

The fire in the Rhode Island night club killed 96 people, alot of them were sufacated(spelling?) when they were buried at the doors by the other escaping people.

Worst ??

Well that is rather subjective - Worse in Dollar loss? Worse in loss of life? Worse as in loss of a FF?

The 10 Deadliest US Fires and Explosions in History - Through 1999.

1. SS Sultana Steamship Boiler explosion and fire, Mississippi River, April 27, 1865. 1,547 deaths

2. Forest Fire, Peshtigo, Wisconsin and environs. October 8, 1871 1,152 deaths

3. General Slocum excursion steamship fire, New York, NY. June 15th 1904. 1,030 deaths

4. Iroquois Theather, Chicago, IL. December 30, 1903. 602 deaths

5. Forest Fire. Northern MN. October 12, 1918. 559 Deaths

6. Cocoanut Grove Nightclub. Boston, MA. November 28, 1942. 492 deaths

7. SS Grandcamp and Monsanto Chemical Company plant. Texas City, TX. April 16, 1947. 468 deaths

8. Monongah Mine coal explosion. Monongah, WV. December 6, 1907. 361 deaths

9. North German Lloyd Steamship Explosion, Hoboken, NJ. June 30, 1900. 326 deaths

10. Explosion of two ammunition ships at Depot. Port Chicago, CA. July 18, 1944. 322 deaths

10 Deadliest Fires and Explosions, 1990 - 1999

1. Office Building bombing, Oklahoma City, OK. April 19, 1995. 169 deaths.

2. Airplane in flight near Maimi, FL. May 11, 1996. 110 deaths

3. Happyland Social Club, New York, NY. March 25, 1990. 87 deaths

4. Religious Complex, Waco, TX. April 19, 1993. 47 deaths.

5. Chicken processing plant. Hamlet, NC. September 3, 1991. 25 deaths

6. Oakland Hills (forest) Fire storm. Oakland, CA. October 20, 1991. 25 deaths

7. Airplane laoding passengers struck by falling, flaming debris from mid-air collision. Fort Bragg, NC. March 23, 1994. 24 deaths

8. Two-airplane collision on runway. Los Angeles, CA. February 1, 1991. 22 deaths

9. Hotel. Chicago, IL. March 16, 1993. 20 deaths

10. Chemical Plant. Houston, TX. July 5, 1990. 17 deaths

I am trying to find a break down of firefighter fatalities -

Keep in mind that this is only up to 1999.

Alot has happened since then.
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Forum Member

well i have narrowed it to dancehall and night club fires and their effect on safety regs. if that is too narrow i will have to so how encompase hotels, are there any large hotel fires in the US that i should know about other than the MGM Grand.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

I read where 100 people were killed at The Station fire in RI....

Anyway, Happy Land in NYC (1990) 87 deaths:

http://www.nypdnews.com/happylands.html

The Station Fire/Cocoanut Grove referenced:

http://www.efirecode.com/rattledraft03.PDF

Major Fires in US History (according to this website) and the link wouldn't copy correctly, so you'll have to search:

http://www.laconiafire.org/

Other Dance Hall/Night Club Fires:

http://www.laconiafire.org/Dance%20H...ub%20Fires.htm

Entertainment Center/Restaurant/Nightclub/Discotheque Fires:

http://www.disaster-management.net/disco_fire.htm

All I did was a search for night club fires....

Good luck!
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

One hundred people died at the Station Nightclub and hundreds more were injured. The fire will also claim the careers of several of the responders. You could do a term paper on the usefullness sprinkler systems by comparing this fire to one that happened the very same night at a club in Minneapolis. The Station had no sprinkler system and 100 people were killed. The club in Minn. had an operating system and no one was even injured. The Providence Journal has done in depth reporting on the fire and information could be obtained through them.

Forum Member

3 things:

First, Diane C. thanks for listing my departments website laconiafire.org (provided by a private enitity) along with those above. Hopefully I will be able to get the pictures of our new engine and boat on the site soon as well as some more current run and shift information as well as information on Call Company Lieut. Mike Marden and Permenant FF/PM Chuck Campbell who have been deployed to Iraq this month. May God watch over them both. Take a few minutes to browse around the website featuring the busiest fire department per on duty firefighter in the State of NH.

Second, OX, I did a report on the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire for college a few years back. I will try to dig it out and send you the websites I got my information from. My report was in first and third person perspective and included a few maps and floorplans so you could follow the narration around. If I can find some of it I could email it to you as well.

Third, try visiting the FEMA/USFA website. They have free publications including reports with all the information you could want concerning the incident the report is on. The shipping is free and pretty quick as well. I have used their reports for numerous research projects and found them most helpful.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by FiRsqDvr45; 03-03-2004 at 10:03 AM.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Forum Member

FiRsqDvr45 the problem with websites is that I can only use 2 so if i get information from them i have to pick and choose wisely. i will have to ask if the FEMA reports would be internet being as thats were i requested them from. I also have to use a minimum of 7 sources.
    our english teacher is being a pain in the a** about this stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

I don't see how ordering books/reports from USFA-FEMA would be an Internet "resource".

And kudos to the English teacher! It's good to learn real research techniques.

I'm sure you can look for information in encyclopedias (I remember back in the day when the teachers limited you to two encyclopedias!). And magazines, plus there are books written about a lot of these fires -- maybe your officers and whomever have them or NFPA ones. Try your library -- if they don't have it, they may be able to borrow it from another library.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Does anyone recall how many FFs were lost on Storm King Mountain? I don't remember when it was, but I do remember hearing a lot about how quite a few FFs were killed...

MembersZone Subscriber

There were 14 firefighters that perished on Storm King Mountain. From what I remember, they were pretty close to making it to the top but the fire was moving too fast and overran them.

MembersZone Subscriber

PESHTIG0, WI FIRE - October 8, 1871 - Killed approx. 800 ppl. The worst natural disaster in US history.

Forum Member

firefighterox - If you want, I should be able to get you an email address or a telephone number of a few people who investigated the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire. There is also a book out there somewhere about the one-hundred worst fires. Some of them are international (London, Rome).
    Some other fires to think about if you decide not to do nightclub/dance halls are: Collinwood School (worst school fire in US), BLEVE in Texas in the 50's (?), Mann Gulch (sixteen smokejumpers killed in 1949), and Cleveland School fire in Beulah S.C. (77 killed). School fires may be an easy one to do and if you want info on the Cleveland fire I can email you my sources from my last paper.
    Last edited by SmokeyNY; 03-08-2004 at 02:41 PM.
    Once an Eagle, always an Eagle.

Forum Member

hey that would be a great help smokey what ever you can get.

Forum Member

Firefighterox - Check your PM's.

Forum Member

i got it i will have to find out what he can get me. would he have a fire report from the fire do u know? if anybody can tell me how to get the fire reports from NFPA or anyone else please help me.

Forum Member

need to get this back to the top.

Forum Member

I am not sure if he does or not, you would have to ask him. If he doesn't he could probably help you find it.
    Beware, he can be hard to get ahold of.

Forum Member

need help with finding old fire reports can anyone help?

Thread Information