MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tc With Car On Side And Undeployed Airbag

I have a question on how a recent scenerio would be played out by the professionals.

My Truck recently rolled up on a two car TC with a patient trapped behind the steering wheel of a vehicle on the side. The steering wheel airbag did not deploy and the steering wheel needs to be pulled, how would you mitigate this problem. The car showed major damage, (Chief Moore, a KIA like you have spoke of in the past!!!)

Any input you could give me on this would assist me in my knowledge and expand my thought process.

Thanks

Greg Reese

Side resting dash displacements are pretty complicated maneuvers. I believe stabilization is the key concern in such a situation. Among several other operations, this was part of an assignment Ron Moore gave a crew in his San Diego class back in Feb. of 2003. In this situation it was the top side. The method used for stabilization has to be compatible with the cutting and spreading and resulting movement of the vehicle. The position of the stabilization components must allow for this movement without compromising the stability as well. This crew used a 4-point setup with 2 jack stands at the passenger side and 2 stands at the undercarriage. The ram operation caused the vehicle to bend. The jacks allowed the crew to maintain continuous stability as they followed the vehicle as it deformed.

A patient trapped on the lower side would be quite a bit more challenging. In either situation, I may even vote to carefully and controllably right the vehicle if possible? If you could get the vehicle on its wheels quickly and carefully while stabilizing the patient, the extrication will be a lot safer, quicker, and easier.

If I didn't have the struts and righting the vehicle was not an option I would employ straps, cables, or chains adjustably (winch, ratchet, etc.) attached to stakes, trees, trucks, or guardrails. Lines would be attached to both high side and low side on both sides of vehicle with the ability to take up or loosen.

A little more on the picture below can be found at:
    RES-Q-JACK Stabilization Reference Center
    This picture is from the section titled:
    4-Point Side-Resting Stabilization/DOOR REMOVAL/ROOF FLAP/FLOOR ACCESS/TUNNELING/DASH DISPLACEMENT

I look forward to some other opinions.

Cris @ Res-Q-Jack, Inc.

Forum Member

I agree that whatever stabilization system is used should be compatible with the extrication efforts. Obviously metal movement of the dash, etc. would create the need to strengthen stabilization already in place. The use of an adjustable stabilization system lends itself well to this circumstance.

Once the pt. was free for removal, how would you accomplish this task? The pt. is suspended if the driver's side is topmost. Lets hear some ideas concerning this.

Also, I'm aware of one particular accident in which the vehicle was removed from a tree and lowered to the ground to effect an extrication. This is an advanced skill accomplished ONLY with knowledge, skill, and correct eqt. In this circumstance the pt. suffered a C-spine FX. The method employed used a wrecker with a trained operator and was a fundamental factor in the pt's ultimate recovery without neurological compromise. Has anyone else performed this type of task?

Certainly we should train in realistic situations because... "Serious training=Premier performance."
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

FIGJAM

Once the pt. was free for removal, how would you accomplish this task? The pt. is suspended if the driver's side is topmost. Lets hear some ideas concerning this.
    If the patient is in the upper part of the vehicle (Cause you guys drive from the wrong side of the car!!! ) then slide the spine board in betweenthe middle console and their seat. Have it supported and release the seat belt then lower the casualty onto the baord. Slide them up. Remove from vehicle. Quick and easy.
    CLICK HERE for pix of an extrication but the casualty is on the lower half. It can easily be adapted to your situation....

Further to BigRig and Resqjack- controlled roll over training of cars on their side is an absolute must. Have only ever done it once in anger many years ago, but it worked well.
    Luke

Forum Member

If there is no one underneath the driver I may try and put the backaboard onto the cot and adjust the heigth that way........now that backboard between the console .........I like that ...........right outside of the box it is.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I dont think I claridied myself in my intial post, teh driver was on the bottom of the car (down side). Her caught under the pedals and teh car was actually totally mangled like a beer can. The passenger in the car with her was a DOA. Thanks for all of your input. Look forward to more insight.

Greg Reese

Forum Member

well then that link that was posted should answer your question, however what if WAS the way we all thought it was ? (injured person closest to the sky)
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information