Question Fire Truck for FEMA Grant

Our department is getting specs and bids for a 65 ft. quint, that we are planning on submitting this time around for the FEMA grant. I have a couple of questions I am curious about and was wondering if everyone could help me out... First, the FEMA grant states it will provide money for an ladder truck of 75 ft. or less. Would you spec out a 65 ft. aerial when a 75 ft. aerial is more common, easier to get prices on, and potentially covered in the Grant? Second, you have to carry the 115 ft. of ground ladders on a quint and the chief doesn't want ladders to show on the outside. Does anyone have their ground ladders in compartments inside their truck like under the water tank, and does that work for you or do you have problems? Third, this is the only the second time we have filed for the FEMA grant, does anyone have any suggestions or willing to tell me how they were successful in getting their trucks approved in the FEMA Grant? Last, I know bear with me guys/girls, we have a K.M.E. engine and most of us think it is junk, I have worked with Sutphen every where else I worked. Anyone had problems with their Sutphen, do you think Sutphen would be a better truck.....I would really appreciate any help everyone can give me...Thanks everyone stay safe out there.....

Forum Member

I would go with the 75', yes it is more common. We have a 1989 Sutphen 65' Quint platform. If bay door clearance is a concern, go with the mid mount. I believe I prefer the rear mount thou. We went with a mid-mount due to clearance issues at station. It clears by 3-4 inches. As for reliability, Sutphen builds a good truck. Ours has it's share of issues, had some electricial issues, mostly charging problems. We had lots of body problems with our 2 93 engines when they were new. Bolts, screws coming loose. Some of our problems had to do with maintenance issues not being attended too. Lost hydra oil in ladder at a 3 story apartment fire, ladder sections separating.
    I have no experience with KME. Every dept around here has Pierce, Ferrara, Quality, Sutphen. Most being replaced with Pierce now.
    Our latest purchase was a Pierce, which builds a quality piece of equipment. PERIOD. Our new aerial will be a Pierce.

As for aerials, go with E-One, Pierce, Sutphen or Aerial Scope.

Good luck with the grant.

These are my opinions and not anyone else. unless you agree with me.

Forum Member

I would go 75' over 65' if the grant covers it . You never know when that 10 extra feet might come in handy and they are more common.

Sorry I cant be of more help , but hey I can show you some ground ladder storage .

This is on our quint, ground ladders and pikes inside the body like what you said your chief wanted .

The big door with the red strip is where they are stored .

Forum Member

Oh something else to add . I dont believe that sutphen offers the enclosed ground ladder storage (someone correct me if im wrong) .

All the sutphen ladders I have seen have had them stacked on the side I have no experience with them but they look like they would be a pita to get off and on .

Forum Member

naw ..........we got em on the side and they arent that hard to remove or replace at all ..........also unsure of the ladder enclosures for Sutphen.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

We have a 1989 Sutphen engine that has our ladders in an enclosed compartment. The only thing I don't like about ours is the compartment for them is up on the right side of the hosebed and you have to stand on the beaver tail to get them out.

Forum Member

I would say go with the 75 as thats pretty standard. As for the ground ladders, we are on our second Pierce 75. They both had the ladders in the rear (like the above posted photos). No problems that I can think of with that set up. We still got a 500 gal water tank and a hose bed with 1000' of 5" LDH on the rig.

Dave

Thread Information