Forum Member

Default Hey, We are Technical Too!!!

I was wondering since all the excitment and focus has been lately on Technical Rescue Teams, espeically HAZ-MAT and then TRT=confined space, trench, etc... Are you feeling like the red-headed step child? There is alot of money being thrown around towards HazMat and TRT but i dont see much going to SCUBA. I would have to guess, but at least on my dept we are in the water on calls ALOT more than haz-mat and TRT calls and SCUBA is just as or even more dangerous than either of those in my opnion. So where is the money? ADSN have u seen any SCUBA get any MABAS money in IL? I would think that SCUBA would fall under TRT, but i dont think ive seen anything from it allocated to SCUBA. Its prob a department level issue, but i was wondering if you are experiencing the same thing. I mean we have pretty good gear etc, but itd be nice to have 25,000 or so to get more things. There are always more things

MembersZone Subscriber

It is sad isn't it. In 12 their is a small amount of money that is for SCUBA, but it is just a fraction of what TRT is getting.
    Just curious what would you get if you had the money from MABAS? we just got approved to purchase 2 AGA with buddy phones. That has just about blown our piece of the pie.
    I think it was about 2 years ago we put in for a sideband sonar and was shot down.

12 hasn't spent all that much in the last few years on HM, most of the new stuff is from the Feds.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also, in our department SCUBA is a different line item in the budget. TRT, Haz Mat, Pub Ed. all have their own money.

We may be able to get some more money because we have had more calls then multiple alarm fires, TRT, and Haz Mat combined. Also we just mandated Full Face masks and dry suits at all times.

Forum Member

Actually we are fairly well equipped, but we would probably get 2 new dry suits. We have 2 new suits now and 4 old ones. The sonar would come really in handy too. WE also dont have surface rescue suits.

Thread Information