Thread: Fdny

Forum Member

Default Fdny

February 28, 2004, 12:47 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) _ The driver of a fire truck that crashed into another department truck on the way to a South Bronx fire was using cocaine before the collision that injured more than a dozen people, the fire commissioner said Saturday.

FDNY head Nicholas Scoppetta, in announcing the positive drug test for firefighter Thomas Lennon, said he would begin discussions with fire union officials to launch random drug testing of all uniformed firefighters, officers and emergency workers.

"Drug use is strictly prohibited and will not be tolerated," Scoppetta said. "This is a safety issue _ for the public, and our own members. Random drug testing must be initiated for our uniformed members."

A call to the Uniformed Firefighters Association for comment was not returned Saturday.

On Feb. 21, Lennon was driving a truck from Engine Co. 83 to a fire on Concord Avenue in the South Bronx when the vehicle skidded and slammed into a truck from Engine Co. 60.

Eleven firefighters, along with two civilians, suffered minor injuries in the crash at the intersection of St. Mary's Street and Jackson Avenue. Fire officials initially blamed the accident, which also damaged seven parked cars, on wet pavement.

Per department policy, Lennon was taken for drug testing; he tested positive for cocaine, Scoppetta said. Lennon, 41, a seven-year fire veteran, faces suspension and administrative charges over the incident.

Lennon is currently on medical leave with injuries suffered in the accident.

Forum Member

OOPS

Forum Member

my what an unpleasnt episode .........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Damn
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hope he is able to get help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hope he is able to got to jail.

Forum Member

Apartment fire leaves 14 homeless
    Top floors of 2 buildings in Port Richmond are gutted; 8 firefighters receive minor injuries
    Sunday, February 29, 2004
    By AARON SMITH
    ADVANCE STAFF WRITER

An early morning blaze yesterday swept through two waterfront apartment buildings in Port Richmond, leaving 14 people homeless.

The top floors of the three-story apartment buildings at 796 and 798 Richmond Terr. were gutted and charred, while the floors below appeared to suffer extensive water damage and were rendered inhabitable.

"That was my apartment, the one that's gone," said Tamara Hindle, 41, pointing to the charred skeleton of what used to be the top floor at 798 Richmond Terr.

An FDNY spokesman said 25 units and 106 firefighters responded to the blaze. The fire department received the call at 3:56 a.m. yesterday and had the fire under control at 4:54 a.m.

Officials have not yet identified the cause to the fire.

Ms. Hindle said her boyfriend awakened her after discovering flames inside the bedroom.

"I was sleeping and all of a sudden he woke me up and there were flames around our heads," said Ms. Hindle. "I tried to put it out but at that point, it was out of control. I started knocking on everybody's door, yelling, 'Fire! Fire!'"

Seven Spanish-speaking immigrants who lived on the second floor with a newborn baby, and a couple on the first-floor with three children evacuated the building safely. They alerted and evacuated Wilfred Jackson, an 80-year-old man who lived by himself at 796 Richmond Terr.

"I'm not insured," said Jackson, as he looked at the gutted top floor of the building he owns.

CHILDREN WERE SCARED

"All the water, sheet rock came down in our apartment," said interior painting contractor Jose Quiones, 36, who lives on the first floor of 798 with his wife and three children, ages 13, 10 and 8. "[The children] were scared. They could hear the fire and all the screaming."

"It's lucky that the fire started upstairs, because we wouldn't have been able to get out," said Elizabeth Quiones, 33.

A third apartment building attached to 796 Richmond Terr. appeared to be unscathed by the flames. "If it wasn't for the fire department, this whole block would have been on fire," said Quiones.

Residents escaped with only the clothes they were wearing and lost most of their possessions, which they said were not insured. A resident of the second floor, who did not give his name, said he lost all his money in the fire.

"They have no food, they have no clothing," said Walter Coughlin, 60, volunteer coordinator of the Dakota Group in St. George. "The kids have no shoes on their feet. What they had in that house is gone."

Coughlin said his group would put residents up in a hotel and locate an apartment for them, donating the security deposit and first month's rent.

John Galarza, 59, of Tottenville, the owner of the building at 798 Richmond Terr. and two other apartment buildings in Port Richmond, said the building is insured and he would like to demolish the top floor but keep the rest.

"I would like to repair it," said Galarza. "I would like to make it a two-story."

Coughlin of the Dakota Group said that anyone wishing to contact him about helping the displaced families could call (718) 556-2071.

Eight firefighters received minor injuries, ranging from injured necks and shoulders to debris in the eyes. One of them was treated at the scene, while seven were treated at St. Vincent's Hospital, West Brighton, and then released.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

was using cocaine before the collision
    This is a very mis-leading statement. YES, he tested positive for cocaine, and may have been using cocaine BEFORE the collision, but was it an hour before or was it 30 days before or was it 60 days before .... I don't know how long coke can stay in your system, I do know marijuana can stay for at least 30 days. Therefore, I'm more inclined to agree with the "hope he can get help" angle as opposed to the "hope he gets thrown in jail" angle.

All the facts are NEVER completely reported in the media, you should all know that by now.

Dave, thanks for posting that article. As has been pointed out before, for every "bad news" incident the media reports on, how many "good news" incidents NEVER get reported?!!!

Revised: ummmm errrrrr just so there's no confusion, I meant the successful evacuations of course, and preventing the "whole block from burning". It is NEVER good news when firefighters are injured.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 03-01-2004 at 12:01 AM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary

This is a very mis-leading statement. YES, he tested positive for cocaine, and may have been using cocaine BEFORE the collision, but was it an hour before or was it 30 days before or was it 60 days before .... I don't know how long coke can stay in your system, I do know marijuana can stay for at least 30 days. Therefore, I'm more inclined to agree with the "hope he can get help" angle as opposed to the "hope he gets thrown in jail" angle.

All the facts are NEVER completely reported in the media, you should all know that by now.

Dave, thanks for posting that article. As has been pointed out before, for every "bad news" incident the media reports on, how many "good news" incidents NEVER get reported?!!!

Revised: ummmm errrrrr just so there's no confusion, I meant the successful evacuations of course, and preventing the "whole block from burning". It is NEVER good news when firefighters are injured.
    Calgary, I agree with you on the "when did he use it" thing, BUT does that make it OK that he tested positive? Nope. I'm sure there is a zero tolerance policy, as there is in most, if not all, public safety positions. No, he may not have used it that day, but he used it.......

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Yes, I agree, Brian. I was going to use those words but figured (wrongly it turns out) that my wording indicated that it didn't excuse what he did. Just pointing out that this could be much different than what was reported.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I figured you did. Actually, I was about to edit my post so you didn't take it the wrong way.......

Forum Member

Nah, I think I know you well enough not to take things the wrong way

Next time I'll be more clear and concise.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

awwwwwwwwwwwww looky there.............give each other a hug !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    awwwwwwwwwwwww looky there.............give each other a hug !
    I'm still waiting for the kiss!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Joshiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I'd rather banter back and forth with you guys any day, than have to read one more post from Cupcake.

See, I posted that and DIDN'T GET BASHED! See, one can state an opinion that others might not like without FIGHTING or posting something ridiculous. Oh wait, better knock on wood or I'll be eating my words.

A kiss??? oh my

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I'm still waiting for the kiss!!!!!!!!
    ummmmmmm was that a kiss from Joshie or me?

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

well we have done it again ...........hijacked another .......and that is FROM you Sheri !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Ooooooooops I tried to keep it on topic, really I did.

I certainly mean no disrespect by our bantering. I really do care about the firefighters that were injured in both incidents.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

as we all do .............sorry !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary

ummmmmmm was that a kiss from Joshie or me?
    Sorry......... I only love him like a brother. he has the wrong set of plumbing for my liking.........

Temporarily/No Longer Active

weruj---well we have done it again ...........hijacked another .......and that is FROM you Sheri !-------------

Finally, A hijacking that I am not responsible for. Personally, I don't mind the turn the thread took since the hugging and kissing was just beginning. I was lurking around waiting to see how freaky it got.

(cellblock turns the lamp off and goes back to watching from the darkest corner of the room.)

MembersZone Subscriber

City Firefighters Head To Washington To Visit Soldiers Injured In Iraq

In a show of solidarity, 21 city firefighters are going to an Army hospital in Washington D.C. to visit soldiers wounded in Iraq.

Many of the firefighters who left Friday morning have been seriously injured in the line of duty, including 15 who were injured in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center. Some of them have served in the military or are military reservists.

The trip is being called, "New York's Bravest Salute America's Bravest."

“I was burnt a year ago and the outpouring from the job was fantastic,” said FDNY Lt. Steve Halliday. “So many guys did so many good things. So many people came to visit us. It was so nice. This is the least I can do. I think it's going to be a really nice day. [We] get to meet some of the guys that are supporting our country and doing such a great thing for the country.”

Injured NYPD Detective Steven McDonald is also going on the trip. He'll meet the firefighters in Washington.

Forum Member

Unhappy

Too bad this had to happen. Drugs and booze is not and should not be allowed in this job.

I hope that no one was hurt and will be able to return to duty soon.

The member that was using cocaine, should be terminated.

Our city's policy, as well as the departments policy, is that if you are tested and found to be using drugs, you are fired. No recourse! There is no place for this in the fire service. We have actually had guys come in and look funny, eyes glassie, slured speach. They were taken off the rig and sent for tests. The test was postitive and the papers were placed. They were found gulity and terminiated. Tests during annual physicals showing drugs in the blood, results in the member loosing their job. Our local is in complete agreement with this city's rules on substance abuse.

Just leave that stuff alone if you wnat and love being a firefighter. There is no pleace in this job for it.

Stay Safe and Well out there....

Forum Member

Isn't using Cocaine against the law?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Originally posted by E229Lt
    City Firefighters Head To Washington To Visit Soldiers Injured In Iraq

In a show of solidarity, 21 city firefighters are going to an Army hospital in Washington D.C. to visit soldiers wounded in Iraq.

Many of the firefighters who left Friday morning have been seriously injured in the line of duty, including 15 who were injured in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center. Some of them have served in the military or are military reservists.

The trip is being called, "New York's Bravest Salute America's Bravest."

“I was burnt a year ago and the outpouring from the job was fantastic,” said FDNY Lt. Steve Halliday. “So many guys did so many good things. So many people came to visit us. It was so nice. This is the least I can do. I think it's going to be a really nice day. [We] get to meet some of the guys that are supporting our country and doing such a great thing for the country.”

Injured NYPD Detective Steven McDonald is also going on the trip. He'll meet the firefighters in Washington.
    AWESOME! Thanks for sharing, Artie! What strikes me so often from these "good news" articles that E40, Gonzo, Dave and yourself (to name a few) post for us is the humbleness and goodness of the majority of FDNY firefighters. No matter what others may think of FDNY, that's my view. And NO, to those that decide they wish to pick apart my post, I'm not naive I have my eyes wide open.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information