Forum Member

Default The Passion Of The Christ

What does everyone think of Mel Gibson's movie? Anyone seen it yet? Do you want to go see it?
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, The wife wants to go see it next week. Alot of the brothers at the station have seen it and said it's pretty good. I look forward to it.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Good or bad.......

I admire Gibsons independence from the normal hollywood group buy being in a "carrer buster".
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Default Re: Good or bad.......

Originally posted by stm4710
    "carrer buster".
    HUH??
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Temporarily/No Longer Active

It seems that the critics are fairly split on this movie. According to Rotton Tomatoes ( http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheP...hrist-1129941/ ) the Passion gets a 53% rotton to fresh ratio (menaing it is rotton).

Critics say:

"With a pervasive NC-17 level of gore, it's simplistic and relentlessly pedantic but effective with its single theme that Christ suffered. But where is its spirituality?"
    -- Steve Rhodes, STEVE RHODES' INTERNET REVIEWS

"It's as if Gibson is measuring God's love by the amount of blood he shows on the screen."
    -- Glenn Whipp, LOS ANGELES DAILY NEWS

"If Jesus actually received the amount of punishment dished out in this film, he would have been dead three times over before arriving at Calvary. "
    -- Jeffrey Westhoff, NORTHWEST HERALD (CRYSTAL LAKE, IL)

"Two hours of gruesome, sadistic, stomach-turning and hard core graphically violent torture detached from any background information is not something to expose kids to, regardless of religion."
    -- Chuck Schwartz, CRANKY CRITIC®

"Bears the same relation to other biblical epics as a charnel house does to your local deli."
    -- Peter Rainer, NEW YORK MAGAZINE

"the cinematic equivalent of a Rorschach inkblot: You will probably see in it whatever you choose to see in it. "
    -- James Sanford, KALAMAZOO GAZETTE

"In terms of films based upon outlandish stories, I'm way more worried about how Alfonso Cuarón is going to handle the next Harry Potter movie."
    -- Jon Popick, PLANET SICK-BOY

"Gibson has made a movie for nobody, really, but Gibson."
    -- Lisa Schwarzbaum, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

"Mel Gibson shows once again that he's skilled at depicting violence. But you'd be hard pressed to find evidence of 'tolerance, love and forgiveness' that the producer-director-co-writer insists he's trying to communicate."
    -- Gene Seymour, NEWSDAY

And my favorite:

"The Passion of the Christ plays like a blend of a political-theology lesson and a snuff film."
    -- Jon Niccum, LAWRENCE JOURNAL-WORLD
    --------------------
    Personally, I think I'll see it this week. I could use a good laugh.

IACOJ BOD

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."
    The first sensible thing ever said.... And it was quoted from someone else.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

It's a quote from sci-fi writer Isaac Asimov. Glad you like it.

Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

For the first time on these forums, I don't know how to respond to the postings before me.

You have every right to be an atheist. That does not give you the right to come in here and post pictures with the obvious intent to offend and anger the other members of this forum. The threads were reported to WT as soon as you posted them.

If you are living like there is no God, You better be right.
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Forum Member

Thumbs down

More proof that Cellblock has extremely poor taste and a total lack of class.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Already read "The BOOK"---know the ending Besides, I really don't like going to movies that much. My wife bought Backdraft for me when it came out on video and I still havn't watched it.

Forum Member

Cupcake?!?! this is becoming a weekly, seriously though you pushed the boundary of good taste AGAIN!!! (Let us not forget the infamous videos on a previous thread). I seriously hope that the WT does something this time!
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Personally, I think I'll see it this week. I could use a good laugh.

honestly, you have to be one of the most disturbing people i have ever come across...

personally i think that this movie will be good and im looking foward to seeing it.
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Forum Member

I saw the movie on Friday. I thought it was very good. It's about time someone got away from the sugar-coated version of what happened. Yes it can be hard to watch at times. But, it should serve as a visual reminder of what Christ went through for all of us.

Cellblock,
    Gonzo is right, you have no class at all. I would not even lower myself to count you as a brother of mine... You are trash.

F18Wub,

Well said.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Forum Member

For those of you who've seen it, let me ask you this: How would the film stand on its own? That is, if it had nothing to do with any religon, would it still be good, or do you like it just because it brings your beliefs to the big screen?

Forum Member

For those of you who've seen it, let me ask you this: How would the film stand on its own? That is, if it had nothing to do with any religon, would it still be good, or do you like it just because it brings your beliefs to the big screen?
    If by that you mean, "Is it a pretty good "flick" to check out" then NO. If your thought is to see it for an entertainment value, like you would american wedding or something... then you probably won't like it. It only covers the night of Jesus' arrest, to his resurrection.

Many people say they knew Jesus was beaten etc... but that they didn't know it was that bad... So, I guess in that way it helps them have a deeper appreciation for what he went through.

or do you like it just because it brings your beliefs to the big screen?
    Not sure how to take the wording on that one. I don't need my beliefs plastered onto the "big screen" for them to be important to me. Besides, what I believe has been on the big screen more than once.... and told in greater detail. I just think it's a wake up call for those who tend to take christ's suffering for granted. I think too many people have this image of Christ's death as being mild or benign, as it's usually portrayed in older movies. You know the ones, he gets poked in the ribs a little, and hung on the cross and dies... all nice and tidy. This movie shows it in a much more realistic fashion. None of us were there to know the exactness of it all ... but I would imagine the movie is pretty close to what it was like. It's not pretty, and I would not take young children to see it.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Forum Member

Cellblock, you sure are some piece of work. I'm not even going to waste anymore time on you.........

As for the movie, I haven't decided if I want to see it or not. I'll probably just wait till it's out on video. Doesn't look good enough for me to spend $9 to go see it. I know we've had a couple calls to movie theaters in this area for people who "DFO"ed during the movie. I did talk to one of the medics from one of the runs and she said it was pretty gruesome.........

MembersZone Subscriber

Gonzo, sorry, you're wrong.

Cellblock is a low-class, gutless piece of trash. He is an idiot.

Forum Member

Cellblockhead.............I have tried to always let people who have beliefes different than mine do their own thing, really I have. You have now expolited those of us trying to understand what it is you believe in in EXTREMELY poor taste............I dont know what else to say that is remotely civil, but I am sure this will get you a last class exit on out of here.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Cellblock...
    I haven't followed your "trail" like some have on here based on the comments I'm reading, but do us all a favor, keep your religious opinions to yourself. Yeah, I know - freedom of speech and expression and all that crap, so I take back what I said - post away... SOMEWHERE ELSE
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

He has a long slimy trail of posts with poor taste!

Thread Information