View Poll Results: do you think that the post made sense?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, well written

1 4.55%
  • fair, needed to be put in a differnt order

1 4.55%
  • poor, looks llike a 1st grader wrote it

17 77.27%
  • no comment

3 13.64%

Question equipment that is a need

folks i have just been electeed asst. chief in a town of less than 200. for about an year now we have been trying to get a new apparatus. currentyl we are a vol. department w/ 15 vol. w/ 3 appartus. we had a 94 international e-one rescue pumper, 89 fore f-800 engine and a 1968 chevy gas burning tanker that has hydrolic brakes and we have to work on after everytime we run a call. in our county we started collecting splost money a few years back. after our first batch of money we got around 120,000 dollars. the money was for fire deaprtment use only. out of that we have bought and aed, 10 sets of gear and 4500 feet of hose. thanks god they let us replace the hose, we had some there that was more than 30 years old. but the big thing is to me is we have the money we need to spend it. so far the town bought 2 partol cars for the pd out of our money. that blew up our idea to get a new tanker truck. which we are in great need of one due to the fact i am waiting for someone to die in the truck. ok well then we turned to get a smaller rescue truck so we arent runing a pumper on med calls and rescue. we went in and asked for a 2004 f-250 4wd that when we got the truck it would have everything on it so when it got to the station we could run a call if we had too. the turned us down because they didnt want to pay the insurance on the truck. let me tell you i was mad. i proceded in argueing w/ the mayor and the rest of his staff. our area is mainly hills and dirt roads. i know most of ya'll have tried to drive 30 foot fire truck down a barely one lane dirt road. it dont work too well. more of my points were due to the fact that the fire department doesn't have a 4wd vehicle, i thought we needed one. i pointed out that one time we had to run a mile and a half to get to a pt that was in cardiac arrest becuase our truck wouldnt fit down the road. if we wold have got there sonner would it have mattered, we will never know. but would someone please help me out in figureing out a way to get them to buy us a rescue truck. please let me know

MembersZone Subscriber

How many runs a year, what kind, etc...?

What is your coverage area in road miles and square miles?

Do you have any wildland issues? You could maybe get a 4x4 and use it for multi use, IE wildland, rescue, quck attack, medic, etc...

Why new? Most small voly departments that I work with/know of pick up used apparatus and save a huge amount of money to use elsewhere.

Have you tried gants? Maybe save your money for the match.

Have you studied your issue in dept. IE what places you cant reach without a 4x4, what is you climate (snow?), what are other departments in your area running?
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department went through a similar thing several years ago. There is no use getting upset about it. Just sit back and work with what you have, and after the town sees there truly is a need for the apparatus, maybe they will break down and let you purchase. It may take a few people dying, but so be it. If you did the best you could with the equipment you have, it is not your fault.
    Concerning the used equipment: Check with your State Fire Marshall's Office. Volunteer departments in this state are not allowed to purchase used apparatus that is over 5 years old. Also, check with local agencies like state forestry ( if you have one) and BLM they once loaned us apparatus for as long as we needed it. Grants are also a good way to go. We recently bought a 2004 Ford F-550 4x4 crew cab with an 11-foot enclosed utility bed ready to go with a large Onan generator in the back. All for a measely 75,000 dollars.

Permanently Removed

Default ????

Ok- I see the poll and then the posting. Is the poster
    asking for help or just showing the letter and added
    the poll?

Forum Member

after the opening post I had a few questions, most of which were brought up in other replies. The only one I have left is if that money was supposed to be set aside for FIRE DEPARTMENT use only, how did the police get to use it? I obviously don't have all the facts for the situation, but based on what I read it appears there may have been some misappropraition of funds somewhere. I would start asking some questions about that.
    Last edited by tripperff; 02-29-2004 at 02:58 PM.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

Forum Member

Again not knowing the whole deal.........what about a used tanker ? It almost sounds like you need a tanker much more than a rescue truck.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Temporarily/No Longer Active

I agree with the idea of contacting your BLM or Dept of Forestry in your State. Our department got a perfectly serviceable Army surplus Chevy Blazer. We painted it red, put a lightbar on the roof and loaded it with medical gear and some tools. It was our backup EMS/service truck for along time until the engine blew enroute to a Medical call. Last year we donated it to another VFD which had a member willing to donate a engine to get it running again. The Forestry Dept was very good about switching the paperwork over to the new department in a timely manner.
    Good Luck,

Default clear somethings up for ya

ok our is city and then second due is about 8 miles on way for fire only and then about 12 miles for fire and extrication. we run about 150 calls a year. the sploat money is for fire department only but our city liks to break the law by doing things the are not splost to. since my last post they went behind the fire departments back and hired a netural person to do a aduit on the fire department to see what we needed. they turned up that we werent even getting the gear and hose we were approved for. the last time i checked nfpa 1500 the proper ppe for firefighting it was wrote in there that is has to fity right. well my gear could fit about 3 people in it. and the rest of the folks the gear is either too loong or to tihgt in places. and we even have a few folks that are still in gear with wool liners. that aint right. and the hose deal, so of it is 20 years old, yes it passes hose test, but it is in poor condition. i was looking out for my guys. i dont feel safe going in to a house fire with a hose that is 25 years old. that dont make me feel safe, and i will feel free to say that none of my other firemen feel safe either. so let me know what else you think about the situation. it makes me upset but i cant worry about it.

Forum Member

dont take this the really really wrong way, and I am not trying to insult you but you need to be more careful when typing as I had to re read your post about 3 times due to the poor grammar.If you loal govt. is doing something illegal then you need to go to the next level, like couty prosecuter ? or bring these concerns to light in a council meeting or what have you.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information