Thread: Wedges

Forum Member

Question Wedges

The NC Rescue standard calls for "12 pair wedges, 4" x 4" x 18""
    I believe we know what they're talking about, but could somebody clearify it, or even post some pictures. Thanks

Forum Member

Take a 4x4, that is 18" long, and cut it from one end to the other at a diagonal. You will get 2 wedges out of 1 18" 4x4.......

Forum Member

And i was right when i told everybody i'm not as look as i dumb... so we were right in our thinking... so it looks like time to get out the chain saw. Thanks firenresq77.

Forum Member

8 1/4" circular saw will cut through a 4x4, we carry one in case we need to cut 6x6 for shoring.

Forum Member

I would highly suggest you NOT use the chain saw. Circular saws work much better!! I tried to draw a pic in paintbrush, but it kept telling me the file was too big, no matter how small I made it.......... Sorry

MembersZone Subscriber

Wedges should be cut as to leave a few inches of their original size.

For example if you are using 4x4 leave at least 2" up to 4" at the end of the wedge to allow for the new 4x4 block cribbing to take its place. This will also allow you to invert a wedge on top of another, and be able to leave in place as a 4x4 when needed.

For example if using 18" 4x4 Measure 3" from each end of 4x4 then draw a line to each 3" line this will give you two identical wedges which will work together.

Circular or Recip saw is always best, remember accurate cribbing is always a plus when using it together.
    "Training Today for a Better Tomorrow"

Forum Member

Thanks again for the help everybody. Also, I was only being facetious about the chain saw...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Resqtek33
    Wedges should be cut as to leave a few inches of their original size.

For example if you are using 4x4 leave at least 2" up to 4" at the end of the wedge to allow for the new 4x4 block cribbing to take its place. This will also allow you to invert a wedge on top of another, and be able to leave in place as a 4x4 when needed.

For example if using 18" 4x4 Measure 3" from each end of 4x4 then draw a line to each 3" line this will give you two identical wedges which will work together.

Circular or Recip saw is always best, remember accurate cribbing is always a plus when using it together.
    I am with Resqtek33 on leaving a little extra at the butt end of a wedge, most of the time they must be hammered into place and if you cut them from end to end the top will be so thin that it will chip away and ruin the wedge.
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Ditto on leaving a little at the end. We actually cut ours at 24", then move down about 3" and make the cuts for an 18" wedge.
    Last edited by Catch22; 06-13-2006 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Can't do math for some reason tonight

Forum Member

Wow....... Didn't even remember posting in this thread..... Yes, there should be a couple inches of the original size of the wood left....... Musta had a big ole brain fart that day........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Thread Information