Forum Member

Default they dont tow cars in Louisiana ?

Woman's body found inside of burned car;
    Corpse is discovered hours after fire out

Copyright 2004 The Times-Picayune Publishing Company
    Times-Picayune (New Orleans, LA)
    February 28, 2004 Saturday

Firefighters who put out a car fire early Friday in a small field in a remote 8th Ward neighborhood failed to notice the charred body of a young woman in the front seat, the New Orleans Fire Department said.
    The woman was discovered lying in the front passenger seat of a charred Geo Prism by curious neighborhood residents about 11 hours after firefighters put out the fire and left, officials said.

Her identity had not been established late Friday because she was burned beyond recognition, officials said.

The death was officially unclassified pending an autopsy today , though 5th District detectives were investigating the case as a homicide, officers said.
    An officer on the scene said the car was registered to a New Orleans woman, but that she hadn't been located Friday night. Police would not say if they believe the woman found in the car was the owner.

The car was found burning near Eads and Benefit streets, in a mixed residential-commercial neighborhood near the CSX railroad tracks. The Fire Department acknowledged the fire crew's failure to find the body and possible other lapses in standard procedure.

"We don't know why the body wasn't found," Fire Department spokesman Captain Terry Hardy said Friday night.

Firefighters in such situations are instructed to check inside the car and the trunk, and report both the car's VIN number and license plate to fire communications, who then relay it to the Police Department, Hardy said.

He said he didn't know whether firefighters in this case had done those things. He said the department is investigating "to find out what went wrong so that we can make sure this doesn't happen again."

Joseph Nicholas, who lives about a block from where the car was found, said his neighbor reported hearing an explosion and seeing a car go up in flames.

Hardy said the Fire Department got the call at 1:40 a.m., and, slowed at a train crossing, arrived nine minutes later to find the car in flames in "a dark and desolated area."

He said the engine crew had finished putting out the fire and were on their way back to the station at 2:04 a.m. Nicholas, 82, said he was sitting on his porch that afternoon, about 1 p.m., when the same neighbor who had reported the fire came by.

"He and two other fellows had gone for a walk to look at the (burned) car," and had just returned, Nicholas said. "He told me they got a dead body folded up on the seat, something like that," Nicholas said. "He asked me to call the police."

Police spokeswoman officer Jonette Williams said the body was discovered shortly after 1 p.m. and police got there soon after.

. . . . . . .

Walt Philbin can be reached at wphilbin@timespicayune.com or (504) 826-3302.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I wondered about that myself..... We would normally have a police crew respond...... I thought most FDs did.......

Forum Member

11 hours ? WOW !!!!!!!! and how do you miss the body in the front seat ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

It was dark??????? Who knows.......... Maybe their generator was out of fuel....... Very odd...

Forum Member

Maybe our "friend" from St. Gabriel was there, and after the street dept put the fire out they had to go fill some pot holes, and he had a militia meeting to get to so they didn't have time to look inside the car.

MembersZone Subscriber

maybe the body wasn't there when they put the fire out.... anyone see where I'm goin' here?

Forum Member

Originally posted by NFD159
    Maybe our "friend" from St. Gabriel was there, and after the street dept put the fire out they had to go fill some pot holes, and he had a militia meeting to get to so they didn't have time to look inside the car.
    LMAO!! Could be!!!!!!!

Forum Member

No! Please fill us in.

Forum Member

Strange
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

These opinions are mine and mine only nobody eles.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

My how clever you are with your witty personal attacks on a 'Brother' Firefighter. Very Christian of you.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Cellblock776
    My how clever you are with your witty personal attacks on a 'Brother' Firefighter. Very Christian of you.
    If someone would ACT like a brother and know what's appropriate and what's not, maybe they would be TREATED like one......

Forum Member

Just for the record "cupcake", I'm an atheist too, but you won't see me posting pictures that would offend people who do believe or making stupis azz coments about old people dying in fires, or cracking on some poem that someone posts about a child losing a parent.

Forum Member

Just for the record "cupcake", I'm an atheist too, but you won't see me posting pictures that would offend people who do believe or making stupis azz coments about old people dying in fires, or cracking on some poem that someone posts about a child losing a parent.
    Like I said, if he knew how to ACT like a brother and BE a brother, he would be TREATED like a brother........... Maybe he could take a few lessons from you, 159?????? Teach him, and maybe he can teach you something in return!!

Forum Member

Yeah maybe he could teach me how to duct tape a flashlight to an AR-15 and run around playing soldier in the creek beds.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

So my being Aheist and posting some funny pics that I found in the forums at the Atheist Network, http://atheistnetwork.com , is why the New Orleans Fire Department failed to find a dead person in a burned up car? Sounds to me like a few haters have decided to make it their mission to run off anyone on the boards who doesn't share their particular world view. Well, it won't be long till the forums are shut down to everyone but subscribers the same way the chat was.

Forum Member

Yeah maybe he could teach me how to duct tape a flashlight to an AR-15 and run around playing soldier in the creek beds.
    That's gotta be more training you get in the REAL military..........

Forum Member

Originally posted by firenresq77

That's gotta be more training you get in the REAL military..........
    Could be if your in the Canadian military.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds to me like a few haters have decided to make it their mission to run off anyone on the boards who doesn't share their particular world view. Well, it won't be long till the forums are shut down to everyone but subscribers the same way the chat was.

I welcome all views. I will not welcome those who come here with malice, designed to offend as many people as possible.

You want to be treated like an adult, like a brother- ACT LIKE ONE.

And if the forums here are shut down, well, I have somewhere else I can go, somewhere crusty.
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Works For Me.......

Originally posted by slyguy
    maybe the body wasn't there when they put the fire out.... anyone see where I'm goin' here?
    Yeah, I do. Steal a car, burn it in a remote area, then come back later and put a burned body in the car...... The FD gets the bad rap for a sloppy job and the actual murder scene is never investigated. Cool... Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We would have law enforcement with us too.

Depending on the area, it could be our city PD, the county sheriff, or a state trooper but someone would respond to the scene. A car fire in or alongside the roadway is a traffic hazard, and a report of "a car fire early Friday in a small field in a remote 8th Ward neighborhood" would get me thinking 'stolen car' right off the bat. Either way, it becomes a law enforcement scene as soon as we put the fire out.

Early Adopter

Default Re: Works For Me.......

Originally posted by hwoods
    Yeah, I do. Steal a car, burn it in a remote area, then come back later and put a burned body in the car...... The FD gets the bad rap for a sloppy job and the actual murder scene is never investigated.
    But if people burn a body in one place, then carry it and put it in a burned-out car somewhere else... I would think there would clues that would make such a move seem obvious. Besides, I think there would be much easier ways of covering up a murder than any plan that involves moving a charred corpse from place to place.

I fully believe that this was one of those 2 a.m. nuisance fires where corners can sometimes get cut. The guys on the engine just wanted to get back to the house... and it came back to bite them.

Forum Member

We just had an in service training session about crime scene preservation. Part of the program was a series of pictures of car fire victims. In most of them... it was heard to determine that there was a body in the car... the bodies literally become part of the seats when the foam rubber and seating materials burn and melt.. ity isn't all like what you see on TV in CSI.

in answer to Cellblock

So my being Atheist and posting some funny pics that I found in the forums at the Atheist Network, http://atheistnetwork.com , is why the New Orleans Fire Department failed to find a dead person in a burned up car? Sounds to me like a few haters have decided to make it their mission to run off anyone on the boards who doesn't share their particular world view. Well, it won't be long till the forums are shut down to everyone but subscribers the same way the chat was.
    There are other brothers here who happen to be atheists. They pretty much keep their non faith to themselves. You, on the other hand, shove your miltitant atheist attitude in everyone's face. Even your fellow athesists are putting distance between then and yourself. Many of your comments on posts are immature and foolish. On other posts, you say you want cake... I don't think it will kill the taste of the excrement flavored sandwich you keep managing to take a big bite out of.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

A quick swabbing of the area at the back bottom of the seat,under the door and pulling the ignition will prove its arson. Simple dectective work will prove its muder.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Over the years I've had a few burnt dead bodies in vehicle fires as a result of suicides and traffic accidents, and my dept also has also had bodies in trunks of cars alight(Murder cases). I'll agree that if a car fire has burned long and hot enough, there may not be an easily recognisable body in a seat, the body if it has slumped or moved towards the seat bottom area is harder to discern on a black night, amongst other remains. However in this case it seems civilians had not problem spotting the body in daylight. It is the policy of both my career and vollie depts to carefully examine any vehicle fire for bodies or other items. This includes checking the trunk area, either by opening it, or close inspection through the rear seat area (if a hatchback) or taillight holes. This check also confirms extinguishment. All vehicle fires are also reported to police who either attend while we are there or after we have left. - Peter.

Disillusioned Subscriber

A quick swabbing of the area at the back bottom of the seat,under the door and pulling the ignition will prove its arson.
    What if they didn't use an ignitable liquid to accelerate the fire?
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thread Information