Forum Member

Question E-one Hush/alf/mid And Rear Engine

I would like to hear what people outside of arizona say about these type of trucks. Looking for information pro or con, good or bad. We simply prefer getting the engine out of the cab.
    Any info on trucks that can meet the same cooling and noise levels with the engine under the cab will be helpful too.

Thank You.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know how the Hush is being built now but a number of years ago a department I worked for purchsed 2 Hush Engines. The Cabs were huge and very quiet. The rig was very long and because of airflow needs the hose bed was very high and hard to get to.

A nearby town has Spartin rear engine pumpers and they look like an improvement but the hosebed is also hard to work with.

Just a question, Why? What does a traditional rig have that you don't like?

MembersZone Subscriber

The Hush: A neighboring career department to my volunteer department purchased 2 Hush rear-engine pumpers in 1993. To say the least their Hush pumpers have been problematic. A constant transverse case issue with both have plagued them since they accepted them with each having gone through more than 3. Constant transmission leaks have also been ongoing and the most problematic of the 2 has been made a reserve. The Company with the remaining front line Hush is constantly changing out into a reserve for one problem or another. Additionaly, the hose bed in way too tall (And I'm 6'2"). The hose bed wastes space due to the need for air flow from the top and having to have dividers to keep the area over the engine clear and the engines still have cooling issues. Access to the long tools is difficult if stored in a rear access (Tailboard) compartments. All in all I would not recommend them. Now keep in mind, as many on these forums know, I am a big believer in E-One apparatus. There concepts and designs are superior in my opinion. Just not the rear-engine Hush model as I have been watching these 2 since they were bought and have scene first hand the problems. Conversely, the mid-engine Hush models I know of in the field have had much better luck. Just some thoughts.

Stay low and move it in.
    Last edited by STATION2; 03-01-2004 at 04:48 PM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

I just got promoted and moved from my old engine, a 1995 E-One Hush. God, I loved that engine. Never had any major problems with it. I was th Driver on that engine for 5yrs. It was smooth, quiet, and very responsive. The only thing I noticed was that it really liked to eat front brakes. As for the hose bed, it was high, but we had a looped seatbelt style backboard strap around the hose that hung about 18inches down the back. I'm 5'9" and had no problems pullin the hose down. Just pull the loop and the hose came off. Now i'm LT on a 2001 E-One mid engine. The crew here likes it, but i'll wauit and see. Like the medical comp. in the cab, but sure miss the room.

Forum Member

Default mid-engine or rear engine

Gilamonster…..of course everyone loves their wide-open spaces on the remote mounted engine designs! It leaves lots of room for those creature comforts like coolers for picnics, great for parades, accommodates reclining buckets seats (Sleeper sofa optional) and fits the “EXTRA size” firefighter. LOL!

All kidding aside, the remote engine design units seem to be loved by those who have had them, in regards to the openness and roominess. Now “for the rest of the story”, as Paul would put it. Incredible care needs to be taken on specific issues when buying a rear engine or mid-engine truck:

Weight Distribution, Serviceability, Handling, Compartment Space, Water Tank Sizing and much more.

The mid-engine design is a beautiful truck and looks as though it has gone through enough evolutions to be a winner and reduce the "guinea pig factor". I do not want to discount rear engine, but it seems as though it has gradually been replaced or upgraded by the mid-engine designs. Many will say the mid-engine and rear engine trucks are a novelty and they may be right, as the volume of these products, seems to make them a bit more pricey than traditional pumpers. The most recent ones seem to be WELL over the $400,000 range, making them a bit expensive! There are A LOT of nice front engine tilt cabs out there for a bunch less money, unless you have a strong budget.

It seems as though mid-engine improves weight distribution dramatically. There have been instances, that I know of, where Hush’s were many times “front end light” and the mid-engine seems to have addressed this issue, by relocating the engine weight closer to the front axle. Additionally, the Hush, regardless of many reconfigurations by E-One, always had limitations on hose storage and truly easy access to all engine components. The mid-engine offered much improved access (yet not as good as front engine tilt cabs in my opinion) with no hose restrictions. While ALF recently finished their first mid-engines for Phoenix, they apparently had a good lenses on their camera when doing what we Americans refer to as, Japanese engineering of the Saulsbury units in Phoenix, as I am told they were there on many occasion’s photographing every inch of the Saulsbury “Stealth’s” that Phoenix bought for several years. It also helped that both Dick Young’s son Tim (Young Crusader II mid-engine of the 80’s) and some ex-Saulsbury people had gone to work for ALF in the Hamburg NY ALF facility after Saulsbury was bought by E-One. All things considered, it looks as though ALF has done an overall nice job on the Phoenix units. The rigs do look nice! The jury is still out and time will tell. E-One NY continues to build some mid-engine units, but it is rumored that they may not offer this in the future. E-Ones seems to be on their continued trend towards limiting models and options and has certainly changed the old Saulsbury, which now called an E-One NY. The innovative entrapenurial spirit of the old Saulsbury is dwindling and may only worsen over time without the original Saulsbury people that made them what they were. E-One still offers a Hush “I think”, but were having issues with the new engines or they limit what engine you can put in them? E-One also has built a mid-engine with a side-facing radiator that really looks restrictive on engine access, so that option is pretty scary. So the only two games in town really look like ALF and E-One NY. Do not overlook other manufacturers that will build on the Spartan Baron, as it was built for Saulsbury and Phoenix, if Spartan still offers it. BEWARE of people that say: “oh yes, we can do that”! Don’t be someone’s guinea pig! I heard ALF low bid the Phoenix project under Saulsbury by A LOT (like $50,000 a truck and there was another bidder higher than Saulsbury! Yes, that was PER truck!), so watch out. With only a couple guys building these things, you can be at the mercy of the manufacturer on price. Other than that, do not let common sense and your visa gold card stand in the way, as the roominess and quiet ride is quite inviting!

Forum Member

Default mid engine

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Gila monster you should check out the new phx pumpers as they do answer all of your questions. The engine is easy to get to the pump is the easiest i have seen yet. Cooling is on the side not the top so it doesnt act as a vacuum cleaner pulling up from the ground. Good luck jeff

Thread Information