MembersZone Subscriber

Default ATTN: Salt Lake City Firefighters

Hello,
    I am considering applying in May for Salt Lake City and I have a few questions. If anyone could answer them, it would be a great help.

1. What is the shift schedule like?
    2. How much time (approximately) is devoted to training (rookies and thereafter)?
    3. Does the FD run ambulance transport in the district?
    4. Are their paramedics on engines? ladders? ambulances?
    5. Does the FD pay for medic school?
    6. Are all FFs EMTs? (I saw that it was not a requirement for application, when does the FF need to become an EMT?)
    7. Is there physical fitness equipment at every station? How much of an emphasis does the FD place on physical fitness? What is the physical agility test used for entrance testing and annual testin?
    8. What brand of SCBA's are used?
    9. When does the academy start for the top applicants? How many is the FD looking to hire?
    10. Is the FD unioned?
    11. What are the big topics in the firehouse? (what kind of changes is the department looking into?)
    12. I read in a '98 report that 4 FFs are used on ladders and engines. Is that still the case?

You can reply via the forum or a private message. Thank you so much for your help. I am definitely interested in the department. Thank you.

Eric

Forum Member

Default Re: ATTN: Salt Lake City Firefighters

Originally posted by EricCSU
    1. What is the shift schedule like?
    24 Hour Tours, 3 platoon. 3 shifts on 4 days off.
    XOXOXOOOO

2. How much time (approximately) is devoted to training (rookies and thereafter)?
    If I remember correctly, rookie academy is 12 or 15 weeks.

3. Does the FD run ambulance transport in the district?
    Private ambulance, Gold Cross, runs nearly the whole county now. SLCFD is looking to start transporting.

4. Are their paramedics on engines? ladders? ambulances?
    Paramedic engine companies, I think they have medics on the trucks too, but don't quote me there.

5. Does the FD pay for medic school?
    Yes, they send you through thier own school.

6. Are all FFs EMTs? (I saw that it was not a requirement for application, when does the FF need to become an EMT?)
    If you are hired, and not certified, you'll go through EMT class at the academy.

7. Is there physical fitness equipment at every station? How much of an emphasis does the FD place on physical fitness? What is the physical agility test used for entrance testing and annual testin?
    I do not know that answer.

8. What brand of SCBA's are used?
    MSA packs

10. Is the FD unioned?
    IAFF 1645

12. I read in a '98 report that 4 FFs are used on ladders and engines. Is that still the case?
    It is still the case pretty much. The city has voted to keep to the 4-handed manning, but who knows...
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Permanently Removed

Default Try this...

Try this site...

www.firecareers.com

Thread Information