Thread: The race is on

Forum Member

Default The race is on

Anyone care to take a guess at the Democratic V.P. candidate? I think Kerry would do well with Edwards. Of course understanding how politicians think it is going to come down to who is going to deliver the most votes. Like him or not, Kerry had a remarkable turnaround in Iowa and hasn't looked back. I have always liked Presidential races and this should be a doozy. Lets hope its issue based and that the personal attacks are few. All of us can see through the B.S....Let the games begin.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

I have always liked Presidential races and this should be a doozy.
    I'll agree with you there.

Lets hope its issue based and that the personal attacks are few.
    Unfortunately, I think we both know that it will not be low on personal attacks. What a shame. Why can't you present your standing on the issues and not slime the other guy?

Of course understanding how politicians think it is going to come down to who is going to deliver the most votes.
    Kerry will need to choose a southerner becasue he is seen, rightfully so, as an aloof Northern liberal, which many people do not care for.
    I am still uncertain as to how the Green party will play into it, but I don't expect it to be a major problem.

In any event, I think neither one of the candidates are going to receive more than 50% of the vote. This in keeping with the past 3 elections. Bill Clinton, popular as we was, never received more than 48% of the popular vote in either election.
    Like him or not, Kerry had a remarkable turnaround in Iowa and hasn't looked back.
    Unfortuanately, I think Howard Dean's overblown "meltdown" played into it a lot. I think the guy was just excited and trying to keep his guys pumped up. Do you want a lame guy or someone who is capable of showing some emotion? Dean didn't exactly have a chance anyway. You need to be established to run for higher office.
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 03-03-2004 at 06:17 PM.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Kerry Speech

I saw Kerry on TV yesterday, giving his little victory speech. I heard him say "We should not be opening Firehouses in Baghdad and Closing them in the United States."

Is he the original person who used that line? Or is he ripping it off and using it as his own? Last time I checked, it wasn't the responsibility of the Federal Government to pander to Local Governments so they can keep basic services. Maybe if some of these more Liberal Local Governments would stop dumping money into Entitlement programs and spent a little more on Public Safety, firehouses would be saved.

Cut funding for Needle Exchange Programs
    Cut Funding for ESOL Programs
    Cut Funding for Homeless Programs
    Slash Welfare funding and make people actually work instead of having babies to get more money from the State

Basically, Stop rewarding the lowest common denominator with entitlements and start rewarding the overworked and underpaid Public Safety Employees (fireman AND Cops) so they can properly do thier jobs. I can see combining two firehouses that are 6 blocks apart, but leaving entire neighborhoods uncovered is complete mania.

John Kerry is an Entitlement Candidate. And I am not looking for Government Handouts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unfortuanately, I think Howard Dean's overblown "meltdown" played into it a lot. I think the guy was just excited and trying to keep his guys pumped up. Do you want a lame guy or someone who is capable of showing some emotion? Dean didn't exactly have a chance anyway. You need to be established to run for higher office.
    I agree that Dean's "excitability" was overblown by the media -- I didn't think it was that big a deal, in fact thought it was actually somewhat refreshing to see someone excited about the process for once, rather than the same tired "I-have-to-tell-the-crowd-this-or-my-campaign-manager-will-yell-at-me-again" attitude. A few of us did an EMS standby for his kick-off speech in Falls Church last summer, and I thought he was well-spoken, articulate, and had some good thoughts for early in the campaign. But you're right, I don't think he had any sort of a chance in the long run.

I'm curious to see how far the candidates will go in bashing each other, especially is it gets closer to November -- I have a feeling it's going to turn rather nasty...which will be telling in itself.

Shalom,
    Tony

Sr. Information Officer

Kerry's short list for V.P.

Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico
    Congressman Richard Gephardt of Missouri
    Senator John Edwards of North Carolina
    Senator Hilary Clinton of New York
    Senator Bill Nelson of Florida

Ya think Al Gore would consider??LOL!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Kerry's short list for V.P.
    I'm gonna guess it's Bob Graham D-Florida. Although I think Edwards is a strong possibility

Forum Member

I am just hoping that Billary doesnt get the nod. I was not pleased when she decided that NY was where she wanted to run for Senate. I was even less pleased when she won. I really hope this doesnt serve as a stepping stone for her climb to the presidency.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

I really hope this doesnt serve as a stepping stone for her climb to the presidency.
    Why not? She was a pretty good president in the 90s.

Forum Member

Originally posted by E229Lt

Why not? She was a pretty good president in the 90s.
    I knew that line would be coming out.

I dont trust her. I have the impression that she will say anything to get the votes but there isnt much follow through. There have been numerous times when our FD made requests for support on the state level and were promised it but no support came.
    That and I think she should finish the job she was elected to before she has aspirations of going back to the White House.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Thread Information