MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Talk Of Haiti, Base Closures.. And.. A Golden..??

The envelope please: G-G, Manitoba arts group, sponsorship win waste awards

JOHN WARD Canadian Press Tuesday, March 02, 2004

OTTAWA (CP) - The sponsorship scandal, Gov. Gen. Adrienne Clarkson and the Manitoba Arts Council were handed spoof awards Tuesday by a taxpayers group, which cited them as top examples of wasteful spending.

While the black-tie ceremony was done with tongue firmly in cheek, two of the recipients were not amused. The Canadian Taxpayers Federation, following as usual on the heels of the Academy Awards, handed out its sixth annual Teddy awards, which rap what the federation sees as waste of tax dollars. The Teddies - small toy pigs painted gold - are named after Ted Weathrill, a bureaucrat fired in 1999 over his lavish expenses.

John Williamson, the federation's federal director, wore a tux and had a model hand him the traditional envelopes to underline the Oscar parallel.

"It's been a blockbuster year for government waste," he said. "Taxpayers are told their governments need more money to pay for improved services and infrastructure, yet many millions of their dollars were spent without proper oversight or wasted on boondoggles.

"Our Teddies are an appropriate way to give the people who fleece Canadian taxpayers the recognition they so richly deserve."

He said the $100-million sponsorship scandal might have been titled Silence of the Hogs:

"It is a story of lost innocence, betrayal by ranking government members and taxpayers' rage."

The federation wasn't the only group teeing off on the sponsorship problems Tuesday.

The National Citizens Coalition announced a major ad campaign - print, TV, radio and billboards - to keep the scandal in the public eye.

"Our ads urge Canadians to take action to stop the scandals and to demand honest government," said Gerry Nicholls, a coalition vice-president.

Meanwhile, the Governor General was awarded a lifetime achievement Teddy.

In making the award, Williamson cited her $5.5-million trip last fall to Russia, Finland and Iceland.

"The trip was taken despite the Governor General having no foreign policy or foreign representative function," he said.

He also listed $10 million in renovations to Rideau Hall - including $63,000 for fruit trees and shrubs - and a doubling of her budget to $20 million since 1995.

Randy Mylyk, Clarkson's press secretary, said the federation news release showed a lack of understanding about government spending.

"It's distorting reality."

He said spending on the Governor General's residence - a public building - is needed to maintain the sprawling Victorian mansion and its grounds. He said Williamson made it sound like "the personal expenditures of the Governor General herself, which is totally erroneous."

As for the northern trip: "State visits are, in fact, undertaken at the request of government."

The Manitoba Arts Council was hit with a Teddy over a $5,000 grant "to fund jewellery made with an artist's toe nails, pubic hair, mouse droppings and dead lady bugs."

Williamson called it "a project no person of sane mind would classify as art."

Copyright 2004 The Canadian Press
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Talking

I suppose Ms Clarkson is slated to be the next Chief of Staff for your armed forces. I don't know how you endure.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

That is one nice thing about the CDS... he is always appointed from the Regular Force, and is a full time serving officer at the time of his appointment. Most of them retire into the diplomatic service afterwards or persue a political career somewhere.

Or do like MGen Lewis MacKenzie (he took our troops into Yugoslavia on the first tour) did and try politics, not like it, and move on to drive Formula 3000 cars
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information