Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Firefighters Charged with Rape

Democrat & Chronicle
    Rochester NY

Firefighters charged with rape

The two volunteer Lakeville workers have been suspended

By Dolores Orman
    Staff writer

(March 3, 2004) — LAKEVILLE — Two members of the Lakeville Volunteer Fire Department who are suspects in an alleged sexual assault of two teenage girls have been suspended.

One of the suspects, Kevin Fong, 40, of Lakeville was an adviser to the fire department’s Explorer post, said Jerry Fazackerley, a fire commissioner and spokesman for the department. Fong had been appointed to that position in January.

Fong has been removed “from any participation as a leader” in the Iroquois Trail Council of the Boy Scouts of America, Scout executive Jamie Shearer said Tuesday.

One alleged victim was a member of the Explorer post, said Livingston County sheriff’s investigator Ron Huff.

The other suspect, James Hawkins, 24, also of Lakeville, was a probationary member of the department, Fazackerley said. He had completed about 30 days of the six-month probation period.

Fong and Hawkins are charged with third-degree rape and third-degree sodomy. Fong remained in the Livingston County Jail Tuesday in lieu of bail set at $10,000 cash or $20,000 bond. Hawkins was released last week on bail that was set at $5,000 cash or $10,000 bond.

Both girls are 16 and are from the Livonia-Conesus area, Huff said.

The two men and the girls got a motel room in Geneseo and “were drinking and engaging in sexual acts” on the night of Feb. 22 and the morning of Feb. 23, Huff said.

The guardian of one of the girls gleaned some information from her and notified authorities, Huff said. Fong and Hawkins were arrested on Feb. 23, but initial reports of their arrest did not mention their connection to the fire department or Fong’s role with the Explorer post.

Two Iroquois Trail Council representatives have met with the six Explorer post members (three boys and three girls, including the alleged victim) and their parents, Fazackerley said.

“It appears that our safeguards are adequate,” Fazackerley said, referring to the investigation, background and other checks involved in the firefighter application process. “We’ve never had an active member have an incident like this (or) any kind of criminal activity, to my knowledge.”

DORMAN@DemocratandChronicle.co m
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

Default Damn...

Too bad stories like this get splashed up in the
    media. The careers of these two are ruined. How
    else can we educate people how to prevent stuff
    like this???

Default Re: Damn...

Originally posted by CALFFBOU
    Too bad stories like this get splashed up in the media. The careers of these two are ruined. How else can we educate people how to prevent stuff like this???
    These stories have to get splashed in the media. They're news. I agree with everyone here -- I wish that more positive stories about the fire service were reported. But, to be honest, those feel good stories aren't news. Why? People expect us to do the right thing because we're firefighters. When members screw up, however, it's something out of the ordinary... it becomes something people want to know about.

The best example of news given to a lot of journalism students is this: "Dog bites man" is not news. "Man bites dog" is. That translates into "Firefighters save people" is not news. "Firefighters sexually assault kids" is.

As far as preventing situations such as this one in NY, I think it has a lot to do with (1) pre-employment screening and (2) expectation of high standards. Screening your applicants will (hopefully) weed out the obviously crazy ones. Establishing the feeling of honor to all that get to belong to the department will also help. People begin to think about their actions not just as they related to themselves... but how they relate to the department.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

It is interesting, though, that the media focuses on the fact that they were firefighters, but no mention was made of what they do for a living. Would it make a difference if one was also a nurse or a school counselor? I guess we'll never know.

We had a similar situation happen in a department I used to work for. One of the volunteer firefighters was arrested and subsequently convicted for multiple rapes. The media pounced on the fact that he was a firefighter. It made no mention of the fact that he also worked at a local university in a capacity that would allow him to have master keys.

I questioned the editor of the local paper about it. His answer was that people might not feel safe calling the fire department if they knew a rapist had been a member.

A sad side-note to that story is that someone else was in prison for one of the rapes committed by the firefighter.

In the case I described a background check probably would not have helped. I'm curious about psychological testing though.

Any way you look at it, it's despicable, whether firefighters are involved or not.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

The two men and the girls got a motel room in Geneseo and “were drinking and engaging in sexual acts” on the night of Feb. 22 and the morning of Feb. 23, Huff said.

Hello??? HELLO???????

Bad judgement YES!!!!!

Rape?? Perhaps NOT!

I'd bet my bottom dollar the girls were caught doing something they aught not to have been doing and these men are taking the rap for it. ALL 16 year old girls ARE NOT angels!!!!

So I don't get flamed ... I shall repeat AGAIN .... Bad Judgement? YES! Wrong? YES!

I'm sure more info will come out, until then I will assume the girls played an active and willing part in the events of that night.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

16 year old
    Does not matter whether they were willing, able, or even started it. Being "involved" with a 16 year old is against the law. Adults are SUPPOSED to know better. I'm betting the 3rd-degree rape charge is due to them being minors.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FYI Under New York State law there is no such thing as statuary rape anymore, you get charged with rape.
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

I'm sure there's more to the story........... But I really don't know what to say......... Sad........

Being the Jr. Past President of the Western New York Volunteer Firemen's Association, I feel for the Lakeville Fire Department.
    The Lakeville FD is a small Department in Livingston County, NY, and they are the hosts this year for the annual WNYVFA Convention.
    Not only is the new President scratching for the manpower to host this formidible event, he now has lost two members.
    I have spoken to the new President of WNYVFA, who was my Vice President and a very good friend of mine, and this has taken its toll on their Department. Not only do small Departments try to keep their heads above water, they are also involved in public and firematic events that help protect their integrety.
    We have read all too often of the bad seeds planted throughout the country in public service positions, educational positions, and emergency services, and this is what keeps the news media in business.
    I do not condone what these two individuals are alledged to have done, as the courts will decide. I do know that there is not a Fire Department application anywhere that can forsee what individuals will do.
    I ask for your support and encouragement for the Lakevill Fire Department, as they work through this. Small Departments need all the help they can get.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

MembersZone Subscriber

If the firefighters knew the girls were 16, then I don't feel sorry for them. On the other hand, there are 16-year-old girls at my son's high school who could easily pass for 25. I just hope the incident is thoroughly investigated to make certain that the participants knowingly committed a crime.

Forum Member

Always remember... 16 will get ya 20

sexual assault of two teenage girls
    Little girls...are not my lovers.. little boys, are more my taste.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Originally posted by kentbwj
    If the firefighters knew the girls were 16, then I don't feel sorry for them. On the other hand, there are 16-year-old girls at my son's high school who could easily pass for 25. I just hope the incident is thoroughly investigated to make certain that the participants knowingly committed a crime.
    They were members of the Explorer post!

Let's put this in perspective... firefighters engaged in sexual conduct with Explorers. Anyway you look at it, it's a terrible deal amd completely unacceptable.

Cosmosis you are dead right, these guys knew they were explorers by all reports and that just makes it dead wrong. These guys where predators who happen to unfortunatly be fire fighters. Goes to show you not all the sick folks are in hospitals.

Angry

It is sad day when men will take children to a motel drinking. It is sad that firefighters, being what most people consider being above most other folks, take underage girls to a motel. It doesn't really matter what their profession is (was)! The media knew they were firefighters and captiolized on that.

These guys knew these girls were under age. They were explorers!!
    As I read the new story, I was beginning to think that the kids may be boys as there was some mention of boy scouts.

Regardless, of which sex the kids are, these adults had no business at all, taking these kids to a motel and drinking. We are all adults and know what the bottom line to this story was going to be. If the girls acted willingly or resisted, it makes no difference. It is still called rape.

Again, I am sorry this happened. I take my job very seriously. I would never put my self in any situation like this. If quilty, they should have the book thrown at them.

Guys, keep your wicks dry and in the proper place and the pants zipped!!!

Stay Safe & Well out there.....

MembersZone Subscriber

CaptOldTimer, I actually mostly agree with you on this one.
    Fyi - the explorers take boys and girls but are governed by the Boy Scouts.

On a related note, everyone in these forums is always so politically correct. (if found guilty, if no false positive drug tests, if they were drinking, etc.) Are you all that politically correct when its not a firefighter in the story. I mean the TV news and newpapers are full of people who haven't been tried and convicted yet. Do you all assume that they aren't guilty too?

For my two cents, these guys got caught tagging two underage girls. Put them in the General Population for a while and see how they like it.

Cheers,
    Scott

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

We have seen stories like this many times.
    The discussions seem to always stem from the "let's wait to get all of the facts before we judge" or "innocent until proven guilty" or "there's more than meets the eye" or "why is it always mentioned that they are firefighters"?
    The same people who will HEAP loads of praise on us and donate money to our cause will HATE us just as deeply if they feel that there is even a hint of betrayal. These same people are the ones who come to our defense at budget time. They are the same ones who come to our side when there has been devastation. And they don't want to be wrong about us. And that's why they will hang us just as quickly as they will adore us. It becomes personal for these people. It's similar to watching a young lad grow up right before their very eyes and then goes out and commits a heinous crime. It starts out as disbelief-almost denial-then quickly turns to betrayal and then to anger.
    In our society, it doesn't matter anymore who is guilty and who is innocent. It's about who can present the best defense or the best set of evidence. It's not about who follows the law, but who can afford to beat it.
    BUT, there is still right and wrong and reasonable people still know what the difference is. In this case, they have been charged with rape. They have also been relieved of their responsibilities. This is reasonable under the circumstances. No; they don't get to continue until the trial is over. There is enough preliminary evidence to suggest that these two should not continue as before. And whether or not they are acquitted or found guilty of the charges, the fire department has suffered tremendous damage for the selfish acts of the FOUR people involved.
    The two young females are not blameless in this matter. If they had any parental guidance over the years, they knew the difference between right and wrong also.
    Rape is a terrible and violent crime and should be severely punished.
    If that is the case here, then fine. But if something consensual got out of hand, then that should be addressed as well.
    In any event; there are a whole lot of people that are in need of some serious help mentally.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Well said Cheifreason.

Forum Member

Question

Why is this thread up to two pages, when unproven substance abuse seems to be off limits?

Oldman, what are you talking about?

Thread Information