MembersZone Subscriber

Default ATTN: PG County residents and firefighters

Hello,
    I am considering moving to PG county, attending UMUC for fire science, and being a live-in volunteer at a local fire department. I've looked into Hyattsville and Kentland, but I want to know all of the departments that I could apply to. I'm going to keep looking on the internet, but if you all could help me out, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

Although I don't live in PG, Kentland's links page has a link for just about every station in the county. Most of them have a link for people interested in joining.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks. I have since found the PG County website with links to most stations and have sent out emails of inquiry. If there are any residents out there that have gems of advice, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks.

Eric

Forum Member

well im not a resident but i know a bit about PG...first off, when you join the dept., u get a serial number, after which you are pretty much free to move from station to station at your own will...i've heard good things about a lot of the stations down there but the best bet for you would be to visit them and see which one u can see yourself working in...kentland 33 is a good choice, morningside 27 seems awesome from what i hear from a friend, they have a busy squad...12 is college park, they get a good bit of action...34, 5, 28, 48, 42...heard good things about all of them...just visit with them and see what they are all about...good luck

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool And Now, A Word From P.G. ........

OK, here's the deal. I am a Chief Officer in P.G. Here's information that you can use. 1. Never (Yes, I said never) take "a friend told me" or "I'm not from there, but" seriously. Anyone who does not have a grip on what's going on will not have a clue.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default EricCSU

u get a serial number, after which you are pretty much free to move from station to station at your own will..
    If you are planning on doing this, please stay where you are. We have had several "Gypsies" that go to more houses in one year than most people do in a lifetime. I have been a Member of three stations in PG, but over the course of 13 years. I left the first one because I moved, and the Second because of Internal Dissent. I am happy where I am now, and do not plan on going anywhere else.

Best thing to do is come down here and get in where you fit in one weekend. The station I am at is a bit far from UMUC, but still within 20 minutes away. We run 3 Engines, Ladder, Foam Unit and a BLS unit. We got a good amount of younger guys there. I am a Lieutenant and alot of our junior line officers are under 30. Our Asst. Chief is only 23. We did about 3000 Engine calls last year and 1000 Truck calls. We also did about 3500 BLS Ambulance calls, but for the most part, the Ambo is staffed by the Paid men unless there are Volunteer EMS People there or there is no Volunteer Driver available (Which is maybe one or two nights a week.) And even then, we rotate on the Ambulance, so it's not that bad.

We have a site, but it's not quite done yet. And we hae no domain name...but do a search for us on the web, Clinton Vol. Fire Department, Company 25. Or call the station after 1500 hours- 301-883-7725.

Chris

Thread Information