Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine question

Default Engine question

Ok, this may sound real stupid but I would like to learn more about this subject.

I was wondering what is a Rear Mount, Side Mount, and so on pumps. I was thinking that means wear the pump panel is but I don't know. Any pictures would be great.

Thanks
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

These opinions are mine and mine only nobody eles.

Forum Member

Someone say pictures ?

Couple of top mounts for you .

A few side mounts .

k1500chevy97

How do you post so many pictues at one time? I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Forum Member

Default engine question

Robby there are other terms that mean the same thing as side and rear mount pumps. In terms of a side mount panel or top mount panel the pump is normally mounted to the frame in the center of the truck from front to back. This term is midship pump. A rear mounted pump is normally a smaller bodied pump not a long across the frame type as the midship. Although the pump may be smaller in size does not mean it is smaller in gpm. You might want to go to hale or waterous pumps websites and look at different pumps to understand how they differ in size. If you have more questions feel free to ask. Jeff

Forum Member

Default engine reply

Robby after reading my posting again i will make a clarification. when i say they mount the pump to the frame in the center from front to back, i should have explained that it is mounted cross ways over the frame rails from side to side. The location would be in the center of the truck behind the cab and body. Hope this helps. Jeff

Robby your questions have been answered ! K1500 how do you get the pics so big ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

For the pictures I use my own hosting service. It is www.imageevent.com .

I joined them when they only charged 1.95 a month for storage and linking of 1500 images now they have raised their prices to 2.95 a month.

I think there is a limit to how many images you can post in a single post I think it is 8 but im not sure. I know the little icon came up that say you have posted too many images in one of my fire wire posts.

On the size I just copy/past the properties and they come out that size and of course I put the [ img ] [ / img ] tags (- the spaces) in front and behind the properties.

Forum Member

Default Thank for the simplicity!

I had to say THANK YOU to K1500chevy97!

A step back in time.... Here we are talking about cross mounts, top mounts, mid mounts, rear mounts, front mounts, front engine, mid engine, rear engine, yada, yada and next someone will come up with the fire pump mounted on top of the cab roof to get it out of the way!

The two pics of the Ford C-Series side mount Van Pelt pumpers are precious K1500! Look what they are, seriously! The older unit (which is the second photo) no front warning lights other than a bar light (which is not even original), two rear warning lights, two compts each side and a pump panel merely built into the side of the body!! The first pic (the newer rig) has SIGNIFICANT upgrades: a deck gun, front cowl lights, two high side compts, and Oh my, are those intersections lights (obviously added later in life)? These trucks just scream "GET OUT OF MY WAY"!

These things are a true step back in time, when we can all complicate the heck out of everything! Amazingly, without all the wild innovations we have available to us today, these rigs are standing proud and seemed to have been evasive enough to not be totalled, blown up or burnt up, without using todays current NFPA standards and overwhelming amount of technology! NO, I will not condone buying non-NFPA compliant trucks, but these photos are priceless! One must ask, what is the price of technology? Thanks K1500! For the original post by RobbyJr307, here are the pump sites I know of for additional detailed pump types, hope it helps:

http://www.haleproducts.com/

http://www.waterousco.com/

http://www.wsdarley.com/modules.php?name=Pumps

http://www.rosenbauer.com/index.php?...92f&node_id=43

Forum Member

Default Re: Thank for the simplicity!

Originally posted by firefish1488
    [B]
    The two pics of the Ford C-Series side mount Van Pelt pumpers are precious K1500! Look what they are, seriously! The older unit (which is the second photo) no front warning lights other than a bar light (which is not even original), two rear warning lights, two compts each side and a pump panel merely built into the side of the body!! The first pic (the newer rig) has SIGNIFICANT upgrades: a deck gun, front cowl lights, two high side compts, and Oh my, are those intersections lights (obviously added later in life)? These trucks just scream "GET OUT OF MY WAY"!

These things are a true step back in time, when we can all complicate the heck out of everything! Amazingly, without all the wild innovations we have available to us today, these rigs are standing proud and seemed to have been evasive enough to not be totalled, blown up or burnt up, without using todays current NFPA standards and overwhelming amount of technology! NO, I will not condone buying non-NFPA compliant trucks, but these photos are priceless! One must ask, what is the price of technology?

We have still got tons of these style vanpelts running around in this area on C-series chassis. They are tough trucks.

As for rear warning lights on the older unit , there are none just two worklights in the rear.

Heres more if you would like to take a look firefish1488 .

http://ImageEvent.com/k1500chevy97/engine106

Forum Member

K1500chevy97

Great pics., especialy the hose loads. Would really like to see more hose load/bed photographs. Makes it easier to tell what people are talking about when that is the subject.

Many, many rides on a C-Series Ford. Without a doubt the best commerical chassis ever used for fire apparatus.

Forum Member

Originally posted by oldman21220
    K1500chevy97

Great pics., especialy the hose loads. Would really like to see more hose load/bed photographs. Makes it easier to tell what people are talking about when that is the subject.
    Well, I try

Many, many rides on a C-Series Ford. Without a doubt the best commerical chassis ever used for fire apparatus.
    I agree %100

Better than a Mack?
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Cant comment on the mack .
    No depts in this area could afford them when they were still big.

Forum Member

Default Pump Applications

RobbyJR307,

I am going to start another thread here on pump installations, as your post, the rear mount post and mid engine post, all have pump installation questions.

Good luck and good fishing!

Fish

Forum Member

Resq14

Not counting the C and CF which were custom chassis, yes just as good.If you took care of them they lasted forever. Many rides on a C85 Mack also, ran for 20+ yrs.,made all the big ones.

Arrow Pumps

An E-One Daytona model with a rear mount pump:
    Youngstown Fire Message Board - E One Daytona

A Saulsbury on a Spartan chassis with a rear mount pump:
    Youngstown Fire Message Board: Saulsbury Apparatus

Bosie Mobile Equipment apparatus on a Spartan chassis with a rear mount pump: Youngstown Fire Message Board: Boise Mobile Equipment

The Youngstown Fire Message Board is the largest photo resoure that I am aware of on the Internet for fire apparatus photos. There are 1000's of pictures from across the U.S. and Canada.

Youngstown Fire Message Board Index Page

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

K1500chevy97 Many, many rides on a C-Series Ford. Without a doubt the best commerical chassis ever used for fire apparatus.
    We love ours (except for the canopy cab in the winter!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Even has two Mars 888's on the bumper
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

My rides were on the boards till I moved behind the wheel. It doesn't say oldman for nothing.

Forum Member

Default Forgot One!

Robby,

I think we were negligent in giving credit for the attached "TOP MOUNT SIDE MOUNT" configuration! I know Sutphen, E-One/Saulsbury and Rosenbauer build these!

Be safe and good fishing!

Fish

Thread Information