MembersZone Subscriber

Default Aerial Operations

My Department recently did away with our Mid-mount straight stick, and replaced it with a rear-mounted tower. I am looking for pointers and procedures on how to effectively vent out of the bucket. I appreciate any and all help.

"There's no shame in asking...."

Forum Member

My dept has done the same exact thing within the past 2 years. The only difference that I find is that you have to learn how to work with/around the bucket. Sometimes the bucket can be a hinderance(sp?) but most of the time it is a very useful tool. The most useful aspect is for venting a roof that you don't feel is safe to walk on, just lower that buckt right down to the roof and cut right from the bucket, this is not as easy as it sounds though; it is a lot easier to cut right from the roof but doing it from the bucket is a lot better than falling through an unstable roof.
    As for windows I think it is fairly self explanatory: put the bucket to the window and go to work.

As for procedures: When you are in the bucket you should have your harness locked into the bucket. Also there should always be someone else at the turntable keeping tabs on what you are doing in the bucket, double checking everything around you. ie: making sure you dont' run yourself right into power lines or something like that.

We also always have the guy at the turntable put the ladder back in the cradle, guys in the bucket never return the ladder to the bed/craddle.
    Also with my Dept. most of us who are in the truck carry a radio,so we always have atleat one radio up in the bucket.

I guess its BASICALLY the same as using a straight stick

But thats all I can think of right now.

Forum Member

also checkout the thread apparatus innovation as well.......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Can I assume this is an aerial platform and not a boom tower?

Forum Member

Well, you didn't say if the aerial is a 75" 85" 95" 100" 105" 110" and so on.

Figuering it is near trhe 100 foot length and having a platform. The best positioning is to have the turntable near the building or objective. Operating over the cab is not using the aerial for the best reach, Being in the platform has advantages. First you can operating on an even plain. Serveral members can be on the platform at once. Normally you have a 1000 load limit on platforms. This can be three members, which is enough as more will be in the way.

ALWAYS wear the safety harnesses. I have seen the older ALF Aero Chief platform give away and the levering device for the platform gave out and the platform tilted. If out guys hadn't had the safety harnesses on, we would have be attending their funerals! Wear all safety devices.

Always have a qulified operator on the turntable. ALWAYS!!! This member can over ride the platform should it becomes necessary.

Learn the new truck and practice, practice and more practice will pay off. If you departmnt doesn't have a training tower, go to a building on weekends and use it to spot the truck. Get the building owners permission first. Don't do any damage. Just use it to spot the platform.

Good luck with your new apparatus.

Stay Safe & Well out there.....

MembersZone Subscriber

We have 2 towers and one stick, and while I would much rather use the stick we use what we have. You can do a basket cut, with a little practice it makes a good hole.
    If the roof is too steep to walk then straddle the peak and chop a zipper cut. Start away from the basket and work back towards safety.
    The tower ladder is a good safety tool but shouldn't replace us getting on the roof and doing our job.
    A lot of working off the basket depends on what brand truck you have and how the basket is set up. Our E-One can do things our Pierce can't do and vice versa.

Forum Member

Originally posted by ADSNWFLD

If the roof is too steep to walk then straddle the peak and chop a zipper cut. Start away from the basket and work back towards safety.
    Can you explain a zipper cut. I have never heard that term before. Maybe I know it as something else??????

Forum Member

For real steep pitches when cutting with a Tower i like to get out on the outside of the bucket that way you can have one foot on the bucket and one foot on the roof. It gives you a nice stable base to do your cutting.

MembersZone Subscriber

A zipper cut is a 2' X 8' cut right at the ridge. While seated with a leg outstreached, for balance, you chop away scooting back as you open up. When done you still have 16 sqft but it is along the peak where all the heat wants to go. On newer roofs the smaller sheets of ply or OSB are at the top and when the roof starts to open it is easy to pull of good sized sections.
    On a stick built roof the peak is a stronger part of the roof to work off of.

MembersZone Subscriber

A zipper cut is a 2' X 8' cut along the ridge of a roof. While seated on the ridge with one leg extended for balance you cut the 2' section scooting back as you open up.
    When finished you have a 16 sqft hole right where the heat wants to go.
    Also while chopping a second firefighter standing behind you can push ceiling down with a long 10 or 12' hook. This makes for a fast hole on the safest part of a stick built roof (the ridge). On newer roofs that use OSB or Plywood sheeting the smaller sections are at the peak, so once you get started you can pull up good sized pieces of deck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by E229Lt
    Can I assume this is an aerial platform and not a boom tower?
    Yeah, it's a Pierce Rear-mount Tower Ladder - not a boom. Forgot to mention that.

I appreciate all of your feedback guys! We're trying to pick up as many pointers as we can about venting from the bucket. One other question I forgot to ask - when positioning for a rescue, the bucket is better below the sill of a window, right?

Thanks everyone!
    "Roundhead642"
    NEVER FORGET
    Lt. Michael E. Neuner Sr. #585
    Last Alarm 6/22/97 Brewster FD
    "There's no harm in asking..."

Forum Member

Yes, that is right. You also want to remember to come at a window from above to prevent a panicked victim from jumping into the bucket and possibly causing your ladder to fail.

Thread Information