View Poll Results: Should I terminate the lease?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

10 66.67%
  • No!

5 33.33%
    MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Someone tried to burn up my property today :(

Well today while I was getting ready for EMT school, I started to smell smoke in my house. I knew it was from a brush/grass fire because of the smell of the smoke. I didn't think anything of it and continued to get my FD uniform on.

When I got ready to go to my car, I took a look around the yard and noted moderate smoke on the southern end of my property. I got in my car and started down the road. I noted that the gate to the south field/pasture was ajar. That was odd since cows are kept in there. I drove into the pasture towards the concentration of smoke. I then saw the guy that leases the property from me. He keeps cows on my property. He was driving around a pretty large sized patch of fire. The cows were standing in the fire.

I approached him as the kept driving around the fire. He finally came over to me and said that he was trying to burn some feed bags and the fire got away from him. He parked his truck, jumped out, grabbed a shovel and started towards the fire. I told him that I was going to go get a fire truck. He said that we could handle it. I told him the wind was moving the fire too fastly.

I left the field and called dispatch to advise them to page my fire department out. I headed towards the station, got the rescue truck and headed back to my place. By the time I got back at my place, he somehow had the fire put out. He told me that I made him look like an @$$.

This guy is getting more big red Xs in my book today.

Has anyone else ever had a problem like this?
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Someone tried to burn up my property today :(

He told me that I made him look like an @$$.
    I'd say he was doing a good job of that by himself.

New York, NY: The city so awesome, they named it twice!

Default Re: Someone tried to burn up my property today :(

Originally posted by Firefighter1219
    The cows were standing in the fire.

Melt some American Cheese over their backs. Mmm...cheeseburgers.

Early Adopter

I've said this in other threads, but it's probably worth repeating in this one. People have this crazy idea in their minds that they are a VICTIM if someone commits a crime against them... and are STUPID if they have a fire. For this reason, they don't hesitate to call the police but hate to see the fire trucks pull up. It sounds like such was the case for the guy on your land. He felt dumb for having a fire and felt more dumb because you had it dispatched out.

I don't know about terminating the lease... but if you're having trouble with the guy, I probably wouldn't renew it when it came time to do so.

MembersZone Subscriber

For the most part, he does a good job keeping the property up. He pays for the lease, and also keeps up the fences/gates, and fertilizes and seeds the fields. He also keeps all of the fields and pens mowed. He has done some other stupid things that I can't mention so I am thinking about looking for someone else to lease the place.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I just now thought of something. When I was spraying down the hot spots on the field, I never noticed any evidence of paper feed bags being burned. I am not an arson investigator, but I know what kind of ash would be left if the bags had been burned. I am going to take a closer look later to find the spot where the fire originated, and see if I can find any sings of feed bags. It also doesn't make since for the cows to have been standing in the fire or proximity of it.

By the way, this is my 200th post!!!
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Forum Member

By the time I got back at my place, he somehow had the fire put out.
    Wow...must have been some fire.

Forum Member

And they wonder why the forums are going down the drain...I only have one question and maybe you could clarify more Firefighter1219, why take Rescue first? (unless engine or brush was already on the road)
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

why take Rescue first?
    That's exactly what I was wondering. How much water do you carry on your rescue?

I also know that cows are not the smartest creature God put on this earth but they're smart enough not to stand around in a fire! They do have a survival instinct. They will run.

Something smell fishy to me.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

MembersZone Subscriber

We always roll Rescue 1 first. It it a multipurpose vehicle. It serves as a light rescue, brush truck, and rapid attack. It ended up with the name Rescue 1 The truck is a Ford F-350 turbo diesel. It has a skid unit on the back that carries 300 gallons of water. After we took delivery of it, we put a booster reel on it with about 150' of booster line. We batch mix Fire Ade 2000 in the tank.

This truck rolls first to every fire we have. One reason is because it can start rolling before the engine can build up enough air pressure to release the brakes.

The last few days I have been pondering the scene in my head. I still don't know or understand exactly what happened. None of it seems to make since.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Forum Member

[B]I am not an arson investigator, but I know what kind of ash would be left if the bags had been burned. I am going to take a closer look later to find the spot where the fire originated, and see if I can find any sings of feed bags.[B]
    First off, I think you're making way too much of this... it's only grass. And second, generally when paper burns out in the open like that, most, if not all of the ash is carried up and away by the thermal column, or wind, or both. If it makes you happy then have fun looking for ash... invite a friend. I say let it go.. but that's just me.

As for cows standing in the fire:

I have been to more large range fires than I can count. In my old dept I worked fires on some of the biggest ranches in Texas. It has always been my experience that cattle generally stay away, especially if they have a place to go that's away from the fire. Now jack rabbits are a different story.

Well today while I was getting ready for EMT school, I started to smell smoke in my house. I knew it was from a brush/grass fire because of the smell of the smoke. I didn't think anything of it and continued to get my FD uniform on.
    Hmmmmmm.... gee, I know I don't get alarmed by the smell of smoke when I'm getting dressed at home either. Brush smoke or anything else... if you can smell it in your house that's pretty much a red flag to me. Either your not too bright, or your story is fiction, spun for your own personal need to make yourself out to be the fast acting fireman... Jonny on the spot.

If your story is true and my reply has offended you, well then I'm sorry... maybe it's just the way you told the story that makes me wonder. But that aside... I'm throwing a "fiction" flag, and sending you back 15 yards.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Forum Member

And they wonder why the forums are going down the drain
    Perhaps you could clarify the point of this statement for me.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up One Thing...............

If nothing else comes of this thread, at least we got to see what the Rescue/Brush/Whatchacallit looks like......... I'm not being sarcastic, I'm looking for ideas to build one here. BTW, what's Fire-Ade? Never heard of it.
    Last edited by hwoods; 03-06-2004 at 07:25 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

BTW, what's Fire-Ade? Never heard of it.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's most likely wet water, or something like it.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Forum Member

what's Fire-Ade
    Harve, It's a type of class A foam that is being marketed, Our department has 2 gallons or so but we don't really use it.

Perhaps you could clarify the point of this statement for me.
    I'll clarify it by saying this, instead of having a civilized normal discussion, certain people turn every post into a personal attack or by replying a stupid smart @$$ comment, if all you can do is insult people then seriously consider leaving.
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Forum Member

thats what tehy feed the fire when it has a "deep down body thirst!"...........is it in you ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Early Adopter

This truck rolls first to every fire we have. One reason is because it can start rolling before the engine can build up enough air pressure to release the brakes.
    I'd be concerned if your engine is taking a very long time to build up air pressure. And, regardless, isn't taking the right truck worth the wait? I mean... if you have a structure fire, why take a brush truck?

We have a brush truck on a F-350 chassis. It can get out of the barn quicker than the engine. It certainly can respond to the scene faster than the engine. And while it does carry some structural firefighting gear on it... it's not a fire engine. So, when we get a fire call, the engine goes first.

I think it's important to use the right tool for the job.

MembersZone Subscriber

And second, generally when paper burns out in the open like that, most, if not all of the ash is carried up and away by the thermal column, or wind, or both.
    Yes, but wouldn't it have caused the grass to burn more in that spot? I still think that there would have been some sign of the bags. I saw some of the intact bags lying around in the field; they were not burned.

The burned area was approximately 100'X100'. The flames were around 2-3 tall when I arrived, and the wind was pushing them around. I took a look at the patch today, and I couldn't find the origin of it. There was an extremely odd burn pattern, with lots of fingers and lots of islands. Most fields I have seen burn have a solid burn pattern all the way across.

First off, I think you're making way too much of this... it's only grass.
    Would you say that if it was in your front yard? What if it had gotten away?

Hmmmmmm.... gee, I know I don't get alarmed by the smell of smoke when I'm getting dressed at home either. Brush smoke or anything else... if you can smell it in your house that's pretty much a red flag to me. Either your not too bright, or your story is fiction, spun for your own personal need to make yourself out to be the fast acting fireman... Jonny on the spot.
    The windows were open, that's why I smelled smoke. Brush smoke generally doesn't alarm me because it travels very far. Most of the time I smell smoke, the fire is miles away.

If your story is true and my reply has offended you, well then I'm sorry... maybe it's just the way you told the story that makes me wonder. But that aside... I'm throwing a "fiction" flag, and sending you back 15 yards.
    How about I throw you out into interstate traffic?

If nothing else comes of this thread, at least we got to see what the Rescue/Brush/Whatchacallit looks like......... I'm not being sarcastic, I'm looking for ideas to build one here. BTW, what's Fire-Ade? Never heard of it.
    Fire Ade 2000 is much like wet water. It cuts our water use way down. It reduces the surface tension of the water and allows it to soak in. Take a look at the pictures and read up about it at http://www.fireserviceplus.com/

I'd be concerned if your engine is taking a very long time to build up air pressure. And, regardless, isn't taking the right truck worth the wait? I mean... if you have a structure fire, why take a brush truck?
    Because the engine takes around 1-2 minutes to build up brake pressure. That's 1-2 minutes that that R1 can be spraying water on the structure. We have actually saved a house from burning down with R1 because we caught it in the early stages. Those 1-2 minutes could have caused us to lose it, or a lot more of it.

If you want some ideas for a brush truck, go to http://www.fireskid.com There is a picture of our truck on there, and a picture of another Gadsden County truck. PaMaRo used pictures of our trucks for advertisement.
    Last edited by Firefighter1219; 03-07-2004 at 02:52 AM.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Early Adopter

Because the engine takes around 1-2 minutes to build up brake pressure. That's 1-2 minutes that that R1 can be spraying water on the structure. We have actually saved a house from burning down with R1 because we caught it in the early stages. Those 1-2 minutes could have caused us to lose it, or a lot more of it.
    Two minutes is a long time for air pressure to build up. How often are you running your trucks? Have you considered some sort of external system to maintain air pressure?

MembersZone Subscriber

Two minutes is a long time for air pressure to build up. How often are you running your trucks? Have you considered some sort of external system to maintain air pressure?
    We have talked about hooking into the air connection on the side of the truck to maintain pressure. We need a new compressor though, and haven't gotten to that project yet.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    Proud Member of IACOJ

Thread Information