Thread: Station Burns

Forum Member

Post Station Burns

Firefighters responded to a fire and left the stove on. Click on the link below and see what happened.

Cooks you need to shut off the stove when your station gets a call, less you will be without a station.

http://www.wftv.com/news/2897982/detail.html

Stay Safe & Well out there.....

Forum Member

a smoke detector there wouldn't have changed the outcome one bit.
    I can't believe a FF would actually say that. Of course, it's better for someone to call in after seeing flames than it is to have a monitored smoke alarm that would have alerted you well before the flames would be seen from outside. Pathetic.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default International

I found this story on the BBC's website under the link: 'Careless Florida Firefighters find thier station in flames'. These were the articles lead words:

Fire-fighters leave base to burn

Flames have ravaged a fire station in Florida after firefighters left a pot on the stove to answer an emergency.
    Here's the link...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3536413.stm

I'm not judging or defending, just pointing out that it made international news, that's all....
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

makes good girls go bad

Whoa whoa whoa! HOLD UP!!! I am an Explorer for this dept, and have visited, and run calls with this station, and for the BBC to call us "Careless Florida Firefighters" is unaccaptable.(sp) Melbourne Fire-EMS Station 72 is the 3rd busiest station in the city, and, while a little forgetful, I would not go as far to say "Careless". But then again, who here, honestly, can say that they have not forgotten to take something off the stove? Plus, they responded to 3 calls before they could even return to the station.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Hey BLSboy --

Busy or not - we are the fire department. And for 'firefighter' to leave the station, and leave the stove on - with something cooking - IS CARELESS.

We are the FD - we are supposed to be setting the example for the public to follow. Were not supposed to say, "Do as I say.... Not do as I do."

I have been on several volunteer departments (3) and 2 of them had a kill switch on the apparatus floor that killed the gas or electricity to the stove.

For just this very reason...

Is it a horrible thing? - No, they were really lucky that they made it back in time to catch the fire before the whole station burned. But it could have been much worse.
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Forum Member

Sometimes s&*% happens to the best of us............

Forum Member

Same thing happened here in Baton Rouge. FFs were frying fish when the tones went off for a house fire. While they were on that call another alarm went out for a fire at their station. Someone had left the stove on and the building burned down. Lots of bad press resulted.

Forum Member

I can understand the bad press that results from situations such as these, after all, we're firefighters who are supposed to prevent things like this from happening and even teach it in Fire Prevention. We're trained to be more aware of potential fire threats like stoves left on. But think about it, we're only human, we make mistakes like anyone else out there.
    Scott Maples
    www.Jeffersoncityfire.com
    Firefighter/EMT-IV

If you're always talking, you're never listening...if you're not listening, you're not learning.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

did someone say something ? .........................poop occurs.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I am sure in our times we have all done atleast one stupid thing, or careless thing. Just remember....

Engage your brain before your feet.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

As was said, " We are only human". Mistakes happen. Here is another incident that fortunately no one was hurt. The cause hasn't been determined but a set of chocks would have probably helped.

Truck rolls away from Estero station; no one injured

By DENISE L. SCOTT, Published on March 4, 2004

Memmett’s Local Farm Market on U.S. 41 in Estero has some very focused customers. One woman was so intent on finding the perfect strawberries that she didn’t even notice the firetruck wedged into the side of the 1961 wooden building Wednesday morning. The 12-foot-tall truck, which was parked at the neighboring Estero Fire Rescue station, rolled down the sloped driveway and about 15 feet into the market about 11:30 a.m. No one was injured.

A shopper didn’t seem to mind that a ladder truck from the Estero Fire Department was sticking through the wall of her fruit stand as she shopped for grapefruit Wednesday afternoon. The truck rolled down the sloping driveway of the Estero Fire Rescue George Horn Station 1 across the street and through the wall of Memmett’s Local Farm Market. No one was injured.

Owner Mehmet Cingoz was the only person in the market at a time of day he said is usually busy. “I was setting up my berries,” he said. “I usually have a lot of customers at my tomato table, and that’s where the truck came through.” He initially thought it was thunder and lightning. “I knew it was cloudy out,” Cingoz said. “Then it was nonstop crackling. That thing scared the fight out of me.” But he kept the market open for business — except for the 10 minutes everyone had to clear out while the truck was removed.

It left a jagged hole exposing tables filled with bags of oranges and grapefruit, bins overflowing with peppers and cucumbers. “(Customers) didn’t even know the truck was in here,” he said. “They were shopping for their produce around the truck. It’s not curiosity. They were here to shop.” Despite the shock of it all, Cingoz was in good spirits, even joking that he really has an open market and that he might have a fire sale. He said he is grateful no one was hurt. “I think it was mechanical failure,” he said. “I don’t want to bash them. They’re a bunch of good people. Accidents happen.”

Estero Fire Rescue Chief Dennis Merrifield said it may take a week to determine why the truck rolled and whether anyone will be disciplined. “Our main concern right now is to get this building back into business,” he said. “He’s still able to sell produce, but we want to restore the building as quick as possible.” The fire district immediately called framing contractor M.S. Rogers of Fort Myers, with whom the district has previously done business, to begin repairs. “They had to shore up the building to get the truck out,” he said, adding that it will be repaired within two to three days.

The firetruck, which was mounted with a hydraulic ladder, will take longer to repair. Merrifield said a reserve truck was put into service until the extensively damaged truck is back in service. “It’ll modify our responses,” he said, noting the reserve truck has no ladder. “We’ll run our ladder truck more.” Merrifield estimated that the repairs, including both front windshields and a bent frame, will cost at least $20,000, but he didn’t have an estimate for the structure Wednesday afternoon. He said the district will file with its insurance company to cover the repairs.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

makes good girls go bad

heres an update. The quarters or Station 72 are currently un-livable. Brevard County Fire Rescue has loaned a trailer for temparory living facilities. A larger one is currantly on the way, courtesy of FEMA. They still respond to all calls, but have to eat at another station, or eat out. The timetable for the re-opening is now 5 weeks away. updates will follow as needed. Thanks to those who expressed sorrow.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Ah, guys... A smoke detector by itseld really wouldn't have done ANYTHING. If no one was there to hear the thing beeping, it would be like a tree falling in the forest.

If there was a fire alarm system that was connected to an alarm terminal at dispatch, that would have done some good.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Early Adopter

Originally posted by Bones42
    I can't believe a FF would actually say that. Of course, it's better for someone to call in after seeing flames than it is to have a monitored smoke alarm that would have alerted you well before the flames would be seen from outside. Pathetic.
    Whoa. The story didn't say that a firefighter said such a thing. And although it appears that no one in particular said that... I'd have to agree with it. A run of the mill smoke detector would have done nothing if the company wasn't in quarters to hear it. Sure, a monitored fire alarm system would be nice... but many departments don't have such luxuries.

Thread Information