Boy starts shed fire, suffers minor burns
A 12-year-old Riverton boy suffered minor injuries Friday after he and his brother started a fire while playing with gasoline and matches in a backyard shed.
The boy was transported to Alta View Hospital with first-degree burns to his left arm, Salt Lake County Fire Capt. Jay Ziolkowski said. The boy's 10-year-old brother was not injured.
By the time fire crews responded to the blaze, at about 12400 South and 1300 West, the wood shed was completely engulfed in flames, Ziolkowski said. No other structures were threatened, but an adjacent trailer was slightly damaged.
The fire caused about $3,000 in damages.
"We're just fortunate that there were no injuries or major damage," Ziolkowski said. "Matches and gasoline are always a bad combination."
With spring just around the corner, people will begin moving outside and engaging in activities that may involve gasoline. Ziolkowski warned parents Friday not to store matches near combustibles and to keep both out of the reach of children.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 1 of 1
03-06-2004, 01:26 PM #1
Utah-Boy starts Structure Fire is InjuredFront line since 1983 and still going strong
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)