Forum Member

Default New State Fire Marshal

I have a pretty good idea who it is going to be.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Default Also..

If this is true, I think he will do a terrific job of representing ALL portions of the Illinois Fire Service's "case" when it comes to legislation,funding etc..
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Mikey, you're teasing us.....
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

The names Reason...Chief Reason Illinois State Fire Marshal
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Jeff,
    I was thinkin the same thing ..........hmmmmmmmmmmmm
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm a Republican. I am not bi-lingual.
    Nuff said.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I don't like to spread rumors, buuuuuuut...

Jack;
    I was with someone that is closely watching the OSFM debacle and he told me that JT's name is being floated for the #2 position in the office. That would be great!
    Anyone else hearing anything?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Alright, this thread is dern near a month old. Would someone please spill their guts about what they know? I can't stand the suspense.....

MembersZone Subscriber

JT would be great in the FM's office. There's some guys in Salem who read the forums. Maybe they'd like to post a reply.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I see that I can't count on YOU chumps for my information anymore....:

Gov. Blagojevich makes key personnel announcements; appoints first Latino cabinet secretary in state history

Peter Viña becomes deputy director at Illinois Department of Public Aid, Governor appoints J.T. Somer as new Illinois State Fire Marshal,
    Fernando Grillo would become Secretary of Financial and Professional Regulation

J.T. Somer, 50, will begin at the Office of the State Fire Marshal on Monday, April 12th. Somer’s appointment is subject to Senate confirmation.

Somer was born into a firefighting family. His grandfather was chief of the Salem Fire Department and his father was fire marshal of the Salem Fire Department and protection district. Somer began his own firefighting career in Salem in 1970, after graduating from Lambeth College in Jackson, Tennessee. In 1996, Somer was promoted to chief of the south-central Illinois volunteer district. As chief, Somer was responsible for directing the district operations including management of four career and 42 paid-on-call firefighters.

Before retiring his post in August of 2003, Somer successfully addressed a number of issues that faced the struggling fire district. He placed the district on firm financial footing through proper budgeting and levy. He restructured both career and volunteer personnel, improving efficiency and response. He evaluated and revamped the training program and improved volunteer recruitment and retention. Also during his tenure, Somer replaced all personal protective equipment and orchestrated an upgrade in the district’s ISO rating from Class 6 to Class 4.

In addition to his leadership role in the Salem Fire Protection District, Somer served as a member of Governor Blagojevich’s fire service transition team, member of the Illinois Firefighter Medal of Honor Committee, participant in the Illinois Fire Service Summit, member of the Illinois Firefighters Memorial Foundation and was one of three finalists for the 2002 Volunteer Fire Chief of the Year award presented by Fire Chief Magazine. Somer is also currently seated on the Salem Township Hospital Board of Directors, a director of the Salem Business and Industrial Commission and a member and past president of the Salem Chamber of Commerce.

“I would like to thank Governor Blagojevich for this extraordinary opportunity,” said Somer. “For more than three decades, I faithfully served the citizens of Salem and I promise to serve the citizens of Illinois in the same manner.”

-------------------
    Sure sounds like Blago managed to find somebody with more qualifications....
    Last edited by jaybird210; 04-02-2004 at 07:40 PM.

Forum Member

The Man is on top of his game !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

JT will be a wonderful asset to Fire Districts and fire departments throughout the state. He knows what any size or type of fire department needs or goes through. I must admit it's a bit thrilling to know that a former Chief from a district that borders yours in South Central Illinois was named Fire Marshal. Hope he doesn't forget his roots and who his neighbors were!!

Way to go JT! Also, way to go Jaybird for spreading the official news!

Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just so you know, jaybird, I tried to post this about 8:30 but it said the server was busy and I couldn't get to this site - check the flatlander page at the other site. I beat you there.
    I e-mailed JT and congratulated him on his appointment. He said he was the #2 man until just until a few days ago when he got the word he'd be #1. I wonder what the big city folks think of this. We were saying "who's Vina?" now they can say "Who's Somer?". I guarantee you he'll not just sit behind his desk and his chief of staff. People WILL know who JT Somer is.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

AH HAH! SO MY SOURCE WAS RIGHT! AT THE TIME!
    So, I wonder what pushed JT from number 2 to number 1, because the number 1 at the time was no slouch either.
    This IS an exciting time for the fire service. Man, oh man. I mean; I sat on a committee and in the same room as the acting state fire marshal and the new state fire marshal. Can anyone else say that?
    Now; if I could parlay that into a job with JT.
    Salem FD should be rather chesty at the moment!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

Default Blagojevich Abandons Vina as Nominee for State Fire Marshal

Springfield(AP)--Gov. Rod Balgojevich dropped Peter Vina as his nominee for state fire marshal Friday, a step that one influential state senator called and insult to the Latino community.
    Blagojevich nominated Vina last summer, but he was never confirmed by the state Senate.
    Some lawmakers complained that he was not aggresive enough in the aftermath of a Chicago highrise fire that killed six people. Blagojevich, after initially saying the state would not investigate the fire, ended up bringing in an outside expert at a cost of about $2 million.
    The Democratic governor decided to withdraw Vina's nomination because getting him confirmed would be "extremely difficult," spokeswoman Rebecca Rausch said. Blagojevich named J.T. Somer, chief of the volunteer fire department in Salem, as his new nominee.
    But Sen. Miguel del Valle, D-Chicago, said Vina could have been confirmed if the governor had pushed. He complained that Vina's nomination was allowed to linger for months without a show of support from Blagojevich.
    "I think Peter Vina has been treated very unfairly by the administration," del Valle said. "If the governot had concerns about Peter Vina, why did he leave him out there for so long? I consider it an insult not only to Peter Vina but to the Latino community."
    He noted that another Hispanic nominee withdrew last year before being confirmed. Ernesto Velasco was chosen to run the Correctios Department but quit after reports that jail guards had allegedly beat inmates at the Cook County Jail when he was director there. Fernando Grillo, head of the Department of Professional Regulation, is the only Hispanic in the governor's cabinet.
    Del Valle complained that Blagojevich's record of appointing Hispanics to key positions is worse than the records of the last three Republican governors.
    Rausch rejected the suggestion that Blagojevich had failed to put together a diverse Cabinet. She noted that many state agencies have black directors.
    "Civersity is a goal you strive toward, and the governor is doing his best to achieve diversity in his Cabinet and in the state work force in general," she said.
    While dropping Vina's nomination, Blagojevich announced Grillo is his choice to run the new Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, which will be formed by merging several existing agencies.
    Grillo's new title will be secretary rather than director, which Blagojevich portrays as an important distinction.
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Smile

Please visit our Web Site at www.salemfire.org. I will try to link to other articles about JT's appointment. I have quite a few pictures on here it may take a while to load if you use dial-up.

Steve

Forum Member

is this a flatlander thing ? I saw no FF stuff there only pics of where Lutan lives ....and pumper41 ~
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Default Try SalemFire.Org Again

Sorry about that, those were pictures of my son's trip to Australia, they are on the same server. I made a change on the Server. See if the link takes you to our web site.

Thanks
    Steve

Forum Member

Thumbs up

much better !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

It just dawned on me - Southern Illinois now has 2 honchos - the Fire Marshall and the President of the IL IACOJ!
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb hmmmmmmm

It just dawned on me - Southern Illinois now has 2 honchos - the Fire Marshall and the President of the IL IACOJ!

Sounds to me like there's some chicanery afoot here. There's a new prez and then -BAM new State Fire Marshall. Oh, and he just happens to be from down south. Yep, you've definately been taking lessons from the city.

I believe we should ask the Attorney General to appoint a special prosecutor to conduct a full and impartial investigation.

(By the way, congratulations to Chief Somer. I'm sure he'll be a great assest to the fire service. He certainly comes with better credentials than his predecessor.)

Forum Member

We had the privilage of meeting JT at the MABAS meeting at Carol Stream last Thursday. He promised as soon as he can get his feet on the ground and finish the confirmation there will be some major improvements made at OSFM.
    At least he is not afraid to be seen in public.

Jack....I also had a chance to visit with your division President at the meeting also.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

L80, Greg's not afraid to be seen in public either, or to speak his mind for that matter.
    I do think JT will make some changes, but he will only do it after he knows its for the good of the fire service.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

I had the priviledge to talk with Fire Marshall Somer after our chief's association meeting last night. One thing for sure, he hasn't let the appointment go to his head. He was able to tell us a few things going on in his office, pending available funding. I think he was surprised to find out that he's responsible for elevators in addition to all the other things. He's got a lot of "fixing" to do but things seem to be coming together. He did say that if we were ever in Springfield to stop by the office and if he could he would actually talk to us personally. Don't have to go through a "chief of staff" anymore.
    He also told me to watch what I say because he reads these forums almost every night.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Default Glad to hear it Jack

I am glad these are read every night. Hopefully our little squeaks keep people on their toes.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information