MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Hey Stan.... Did You Remember To Turn The Fryer Off?.....

I didn't see this one on the front page of FH.com, and not anywhere in the main forums anyhow. But BIG OOPPPSSSSS.

Mar 8, 8:22 AM EST

Florida Firehouse Catches on Fire

MELBOURNE, Fla. (AP) -- Firefighters responding to emergencies here were in such a rush that they forgot to turn off a fryer in their kitchen. So the next emergency call involved a fire that started at their own station.

No one was injured in the blaze Thursday, because all four firefighters working at the time were out responding to several calls.

A Cocoa Beach firefighter was driving past and saw smoke escaping from the firehouse and called 911.

The firefighters from Station 72 then returned to fight the fire at their own station.

The building suffered a combination of smoke and fire damage, and the battalion chief has asked the city for a live-in trailer for the firefighters. He said the fire was accidental and no one would be reprimanded.

"We're human and this kind of relays that to the public, that we're just as human as them and we make our own mistakes," said Battalion Chief Robert Apel.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press.

We had something similar happen in our station a few years ago. One of the wives put a box of goodies on the stove top, and it turned one of the burners on. Fortunately besides a lot of smoke damage, nothing structural was done. We got some new appliances and a much needed renovation done from the deal though.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 03-08-2004 at 04:09 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

District Chief

We dont have a frier!...LOL We are lucky to have a kitchen..... Such a bad drug problem we are worried someone may steal our refridgerator!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Originally posted by captstanm1
    We Such a bad drug problem we are worried someone may steal our refridgerator!
    That reminds me of a story from a guy I used to know. His company worked in a very poor section of the city. One day they noticed that some of their garbage cans were stolen from the station. (mind you that the cans had the company #'s on them). Well a few hours later the same moron CAME back to the firehouse and tried to sell the garbage cans to the company. Needless to say he was locked up.

(Talk about stupid criminals.)

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

The alerting system here shuts off power/gas to the cooking appliances for this very reason! You have to go to the alarm room and hit a reset button in order to resume making your dinner.
    --jay.

Sr. Information Officer

Originally posted by captstanm1
    We are lucky to have a kitchen
    As long as they don't let you cook... Right Cheffie?
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Actually, this story was on FH.com briefly and a thread was started. The thread ended with me putting a quote that's not in your article and asking for comments. The quote was one of the FF's remarking that having a smoke detector would not have affected the outcome of the fire at all. I still have a hard time imagining a FF actually saying that. We preach smoke detectors up, down, left, and right, but we won't install that our own firehouses. God forbid someone would have found out there was a fire before it was big enough to be seen from the outside.

How many of us can give a good reason for not having smoke detectors in our firehouses whether they be monitored or simply an outside audible alarm?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Originally posted by Bones42
    The quote was one of the FF's remarking that having a smoke detector would not have affected the outcome of the fire at all. I still have a hard time imagining a FF actually saying that. We preach smoke detectors up, down, left, and right, but we won't install that our own firehouses. God forbid someone would have found out there was a fire before it was big enough to be seen from the outside.

How many of us can give a good reason for not having smoke detectors in our firehouses whether they be monitored or simply an outside audible alarm?
    Actually Bones, now that you mention it.. we didn't have and still do not have detectors of any kind in our station. The 'alarm' was raised by another supporting member, who called FF26, who in turn called me - all done by private telephone. As I say, fortunately other than a lot of smoke damage and some scoring to the wall adjacent to the stove, nothing else was affected. We were very lucky. But that sort of good fortune only happens ONCE.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Arrow

Same story under the thread STATION BURNS!!!

makes good girls go bad

No, MalahatTwo7, that was me no, it was our station 72. A "minior" setback, they will be out of quarters for another 5 weeks. I saw the damage, and it is pretty bad. They need to replace everything that was in the insides. Updates/pictures will follow.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

makes good girls go bad

Thumbs up

Mar 10, 10:48 PM

After fire at station, residents give gifts

BY JOHN A. TORRES
    FLORIDA TODAY

The gifts range from Krispy Kreme doughnuts and ribs to a toaster, coffee maker and pots and pans.

When your kitchen burns, you need just about everything.

Melbourne residents and neighbors of Fire Station 72 have responded with gifts and food after the firehouse fire last week. The four firefighters on duty responded to two calls at the same time and did not turn off a stove burner. The kitchen was destroyed.

A Cocoa Beach firefighter, who happened to be passing by, spotted the fire and called 911.

When resident Karen Garavaglia heard what happened, she responded immediately, buying condiments, sauces, coffee and dish towels for the station house. Firefighters had helped stave off a wildfire in her back yard just a few weeks ago.

"It was just my way of saying thank you,'" she said. "As a community, we demand them on the spot whenever we call 911, but where are we when they need our help?"

Others have responded as well.

Firefighters have been living in a trailer just outside the station since the fire that caused $80,000 in damage. A cleanup is nearly complete. Renovations should be finished in about four weeks, officials said.

Because the city's deductible is $100,000, repairs will be paid out of a special reserve fund, according to city officials.

"I think the outpouring of the community has been fantastic," Fire Chief Walt Chamberlin said. "People are stopping by and asking us what we need. They have been very supportive."

Councilman Richard Contreras and his wife dropped off a set of pots and pans.

"These are gifts from the heart," he said. "People are saying, 'They are always coming to our rescue, so here's an opportunity for us to help them out.'

"Everything in that kitchen got melted and toasted."

Contact Torres at 242-3649 or jtorres@flatoday.net
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Question for thoes in the know? Did the station have a automatic fire system over the cooking equipment? I am willing to bet that they are just like where I work part time. The fire station has a OLD dry chemical system over the stove (has not been serviced since 1994). The town also makes every gas station put in a dry chemical system over the gas pumps EXCEPT ONE..... guess who.... The town gas pumps.

makes good girls go bad

To the best of my knowlage, no, it didnt. In hindsight, it would have been a good idea, but thats why hindsight is 20/20
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Thread Information