Thread: fitness

Question fitness

i was wondering if any of you have daily exercise/fitness routines and if you do if you would share them i am trying to decide what i should do

Forum Member

I would typically bike for 20 minutes & walk/run combo on the treadmill for another 30-40 every other day. With a broken kneecap, I've been spending many hours in the pool almost daily, doing several (as many as 100) laps. This gives a terrific full (mostly upper) body workout. I'm quite fortunate to live 1/2 mile from my gym. Good luck!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

Arrow Fitness

Well I lift weights 4 days a week. Mondays and Thursdays I do all upper body. While on Tuesdays and Fridays I do all lower body. I don't really do to many beautification exercises like curls. Just stick to the main body parts such as the triceps, back muscles, quads, and hammies. On the days that I do upper body I usually run a few miles depending on how I feel. Occasionally I'll hit the stairmaster. (usually if there are some good lookin ladies on them)Oh yea. don't forget the abs either, your abs are the core of your body and connecet your lower body strength to your upper body strength.

I normally do a variation with my weight training. I keep my number of reps usually around 8-10. Any lower than 8 you are probably using real heavy wieghts doing power lifts. But any higher than like 10-12 your are really just conditioning your muscles for endurance, which as a FF is good. So I like to stick in the middle, a combo of strenght and endurance. (Remember that more strength = more endurance to a degree)

Of course it also helps if you eat properly. That all depends on your age though really. I can eat cheeseburgers and drink beer all week and not gain a pound but I know that don't work for everyone so diet can be key factor.

Forum Member

My dept has no official Workout Stuff...Probably because we're vollie..But i work out every day for at least an hour...usually start of with 30 minutes on the Bike....then do weights...Monday Wednesday,Friday and Sunday i do my upper body...Tuesday,Thursday and Saturday i do Lower Body...

Check out "Body For Life" and "Eating For Life" , by Bill Phillips. Offers great information on a healthy lifestyle. No fad diet stuff, just good sound advice and the reasons behind it. I've been following it since Thanksgiving and I've noticed a huge difference in how I feel and in my appearance.
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's my question for everyone....especially the volunteers:

Have any of you found a successful way to implement a fitness program within your department?

With a volunteer department like mine, we really can't make it a mandatory program, but what I'd like to do is start a voluntary program for the guys who want to be in better shape. The number one killer of firefighters on the fireground is heart attacks, so it seems logical that we should focus some of our safety efforts on preventative medicine.

Maybe we could do some fitness screenings, set some goals and report in regularly to keep track of our progress and to help coach each other. Has anyone tried something like this? Has anyone had some success with such a program?

MembersZone Subscriber

Since our volunteer department is all Wildland/Urban interface we require any person who will be fighting fire on National Forest to be red carded. Of course they must pass the pack test every year. We have been getting together on sundays and walking with packs preparing for this years test. It really helps everyone out. Some will never pass the arduous level, so we let them pass the lower levels and they are considered tender operators or help out with support functions. It has really helped me know who I will send into a structure fire also.

Everyone sets higher goals each year and it has increased the fitness level of all our firefighters!
    Career/Volunteer, We are all professionals!

MembersZone Subscriber

I seem to remember you mentioned tobacco as a good stress reliever. Exercise can be an even better stress reliever that is actually good for you. Substituting exercise for tobacco can be a very good start.

Eric

Forum Member

You are absolutely right EricCSU but there aint nothing like a nice cigar... mmmmmm

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey, I definitely enjoy a good cigar now and then. Everything in moderation

MembersZone Subscriber

I know after a busy day at work there is nothing that makes me relax more than going for a run. It gets my mind off all the stress in my life and makes me feel a lot better about everything. I try and run a few miles 4-5 times a week and lift weights 3-4. It really depends on how much time I have each day.
    The city gives us a discounted membership to the community recreation center. I got a family membership for $27/month. They have an indoor track, all the weight and cardio equipment you could want, a lap pool, hot tub, current channel and leisure pool.

Thread Information