Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perks/benefits as a vollie?

I was wondering what, if any, perks and benefits volunteers from all the different states out there receive. Here in WV, they have discussed giving us free lodging with our families at state parks. I haven't heard anything else on this. We all know when we join that is volunteer, but I think some appreciation for all that we do would be nice.

MembersZone Subscriber

My perk is self-gratification. Just knowing I've helped someone in need is the only perk I need.

Stay safe

Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

No perks in Mississippi, we even have to pay $50.00 extra for a firefighter tag! I'm not sure that perks would help as far as recruitment is concerned, when people figure out that being a volunteer fireman takes a total commitment they tend to back away if their heart isn't into it.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

In the state of Ohio there are no "offical" perks, but ther are some local ones. I get wash my car indoors in the winter, and uhmmmmm thats about it. Besides all the GREAT people I have met !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Jeff16,

For me, just being a volunteer is a perk. I know it sounds corny but (for me) it is true.

I was at a grocery store a couple of days ago when a father stopped me in the parking lot to thank me for teaching a fire safety course at his son's grade school. He looked me in the eyes, shook my hand, and said 'Thank you'. Then his wife repeated the process.

It turns out that their son had hounded them until they actually practiced a home fire drill. The first attempt did not go as smoothly as they had expected and that caused them to practice until they felt that they had an effective procedure for evacuating their home.

I had never met these folks and do not even know how they new it was I who taught the course.

Seems like a simple thing, but I can't really describe how that made me feel. Just when I'm getting tired of the politics and in-fighting, it seems that something like that always happens to remind me why I volunteer.

Regards, Chris.

firefighter3531
    Firehouse.com Guest

I really didn't know it had any perks. Well none from the state of alabama any way. The people that i have met and worked with for the past 5 yrs has been the best perk it is like a large family. We have bout 500 vollies county wide so that is pretty big. also wit that family comes the fights. It is kinda like an extreme hobby paid for by the tax payers, but best perk of all is the fact that we help people out. I think that everyone has it in them to help people out just a few get to do it.

Along with what the previous posters stated, the state of South Carolina has a V.I.P. program that offers a 3000.00 tax credit to volunteer firefighters that meet certain training and response requirements.
    The state firemans association also offers life insurance, prescription drug cards and other services for all association members paid or volunteer.
    Individual fire departments may offer retirement benefits to its members (may be a token amount, but still appreciated)
    These are all tools for recruitment and retention of volunteers in the state.
    "where is my second due?"
    I.A.C.O.J. 2003

Waking up at 2am because a drunk put a steak in his oven and did not remove the plastic wrap.

Having to go out just before your childs birthday cake because someone decided to smoke in bed.

Spending the night at the firehouse because the snow is getting too deep so a station standby is called.

Wading through 3 1/2 feet of water during a storm because no matter how many times you tell them, people don't evacuate until the water is inside their house.

What more perks/benefits could you want? (in my most sarcastic tone)

In all reality, my town gives us free cat/dog licenses. They also allow us 1 free bulk item pickup each year. We also are exempt from the first $500 in building permits should we require any. LOSAP started this year, so it may be a perk, but none of us will see it for years to come.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Maryland volunteers get a state tax break. I'm not eligible for that yet because you have to have 36 months of service (I'll have two years in June).

Some local restaurants give us discounts when we go on food runs.

We have an annual Christmas party with free food and drink, and we always have a great meal at our annual awards banquet.

I think all of the free training we get is a perk.

Helping people in need is a huge perk for me too, but I got kind of curious about any "official" perks for volunteers in other states. It was a while back they discussed giving us in WV free lodging at state parks for recruitment and retention. In the proposal, the number of free days depended on how many years of service you had. Since WV is always behind other states, I wondered if there were anyone else who had some. Thanks.

By the way, I think it is a shame the departments in Miss. can't pay the $50 for their firemen's tags.

Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

I forgot to mention that like many of you guys, I love being a volunteer fireman and being able to help the people of my community is enough for me. However, it would be nice if there was something to help offset the cost that we pay/indure to be a fireman. How many of you guys(and gals) put your own money into the fire department (other than PPE, etc. for yourself)????
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

We get a clothing allowance from the town
    nothing from state or county. at least the
    few hundred we get comes the first week of Dec.

MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter1219's Avatar

Gadsden County, FL is about to start paying volunteers $200. I can't recall if it is per year or per quarter. Anyway, you get paid $50 for training, $150 if you make 81%+ calls/meetings, $100 if you make 50-80%, $50 if you make less than 50% of the calls. I may be wrong, but this is what I recall hearing about.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber SHVFD_Asst_Chief's Avatar

As many have stated, I get my perk/benefits from knowing that I am helping people in a time of need. I am not doing it for gratification, recognition or any other personal reasons. It is a job that needs to be done, if I don't do it few others will.

That being said, the generosity of people is amazing at times. I will never forget the day I was shopping at our local grocery store. I was in my FD shirt carrying my radio. I had just finished shopping and was standing in line when we got toned out to a structure fire. I moved my cart to the side, appoligized to the clerk about leaving my cart as I ran out the door. When I returned two hours later; dirty, tired and smelling of smoke to what I thought would be starting my shopping over again. The clerk went to the back of the store and came back with a cart. In it was all my shopping bagged, in addition it was paid for. Although I tried to pay again (thinking the store did it), they refused payment. When I was putting everything away, I came across a card that I did not pick out. It was from several people (including the clerk) who paid for my stuff and thanked me for all the work I did for the community.

It is this kind of generosity that is rarely seen in today's society. I was touched and wrote a thank you note to be posted in the store. I wanted everyone to know that I appriciated what they did for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Like most of you, I don't volunteer for the perks. I enjoy the people in our department and I enjoy being able to help others. The occational thank you from somebody we have helped is enough.

The perks that the state and county offer help justify it to my wife though. In addition to the $3000 tax break, life insurance and LOSAP, the county offers tuition assistance and childcare reimbursment. They are also working on getting a property tax break, but that has to be approved at the state level.

Forum Member

We get a small amount of pay per run, for training and officers get a set amount extra per pay period.

The only other perks I can think of is a small life insurance policy and washing our vehicles in the station in the winter. One of the gas station/convenience stores in town allows us coffee or any soda from dispenser at no charge if we come in after a run.

What I really would like to see is some sort of a tax break to our employers that allow us to leave work and make runs. It can create headaches for some when a firefighter leaves them shorthanded.

MembersZone Subscriber

Other than the things already mentioned...Mr. Police Officer is especially "understanding" when he "happens" to pull you over. I know from, both sides of the coin.

Forum Member

I read somewhere.that a dept..I cant remember where it was but their members that voluteer dont have to pay taxes to the town, or city where they live...

Forum Member

No official perks in the state of New South Wales, Australia, just the satisfaction of helping your local community and of a job well done - Peter.

Talking

Perks - non from local, state, or fed gov

Some places like Kings Island offer discount tickets for public safety personell (including vollies)

Perks - perky 18-20somethine nubile shemale vollie groupies beating down my door...have to tell them sorry, married, tough job

Oh, well

Thread Information