Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default HELP with research paper (5 man vs 4 man engine companies)

Can't find much online or in my book.

Must be at least 6 pages.
    It's for my Strategy and Tactics class.

I am starting to think I will be able to find more on 4 man vs 5 man engine companies then the 5 vs 4. What do you guys think?

I am looking to dicuss the differences and similarities or each. As well as actions that would be taken on the fire scence.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have a different subject that would be a little easier to find info I would go that route.

Edit: Trying to do 4 man vs 5 man now

Thanks
    Last edited by Kurtis; 03-09-2004 at 03:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some ideas.

Obtain NFPA 1710. And then look at the bibilography of studies that went into it. I have it somewhere around here but I can't find it at this time.

Also contact the NFA library at 1800-638-1821. Tell the reference desk what subject you are researching and a librarian will (for a small fee I think) provide a bibilography of what they have and provide some zerox copies of articles and studies. They are very helpful.

As for 4 or 5 man staffing, Chief Vincent Dunn performed a well known study showing the drastic difference between the perfromance of 4 and 5 man Engines in stretching handlines. The NFA might have it.

FTM-PTB.

Thanks FFFRED. I will try some of those

Anybody else?? Please help

TTT

Exclamation

The NFPA & USFA (NFA) is about the best resourse you can get. The IAFC & IAFF has some data on manning.

Remember, if you are going to do an effective job, engine or truck, you have to have the members assigned and on board when the ride arrives. Trying to do engine work with three is very hard. Like wise doing truck work with less that 4 is hard. Five is much better for truck and also engine. If I had to split my members, it would be four on the engine and 5 on the truck.

Any thing less, is the departments are fooling the citizens and their selfs.

I come from way back when we rode with 6 on the truck and 6 on the two piece engine companies. 5 members on the hose wagon and 1 on the pumper.

Now we ride with 4 members minimun!

Stay Safe and Well out there......

Forum Member

Capt.

At least you are not one of the many career departments with two on a ride. No offense to the brothers that have to work that way, but it's a joke. The fire service simply doesn't buy enough votes for the politicans.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know if you can find it or not, maybe somebody out there keeps old mags, NFPA used to print a monthly called Fire Command. Sometime in the early - mid eighties, Dallas FD conducted a study of various engine company crew sizes. The results were published in this magazine. Or possibly you could contact Dallas FD.

Thread Information