MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rescue system 1 - basic heavy rescue - how basic?

I am very interested in attending Rescue System 1 but I am new to the fire service but not to rescue work (rope work. Technical rescues, I will explain later). I canít seem to find a good description other than the standard description from the State Fire Marshall literature. I would like to know (opinions, please) if my background (pre-fire and the months leading up to the class will be efficient building blocks for such a course).
    To start with I have a background of 11 years of rock climbing (sport, traditional, alpine, waterfall ice, bouldering and some ski mountaineering) most years I climbed between 50 and 75 days a year. I spent 3 and a half years with the Yosemite Search and Rescue Team- YOSAR- paid not volunteer. During my time there I attended the standard 40-hour low and high angle course, the usual yearly training and the training high light attending Rigging for Rescue. I took part in more than a few El Capitan Rescues and one Half Dome plus a untold number of low angle and smaller high angle rescues. By the end of my time there I had worked somewhere between 75 and 100 rescues (not all technical mind you). If you are unfamiliar with YOSAR the office generally coordinates 200 SARS a year.
    Like I said I am new to the Fire Service about six months in right now, I am a paramedic so I have spent the last 3-years working private EMS. The Rescue Systems 1 course is about 6 months away. During the next six months I am attending Trench Rescue, a low angle course (a decent review and better introduction to NFPA safety standards) and Confined Space Operations. My college background was in Mechanical Engineering before leaving school to be a traveling climbing/ skier.
    I work for a small department that has low on funding for training so this course is coming out of my pocket. No one from my department has been to this course so I canít find someone to ask there. Even though during the last California Earthquake we were on the strike team list but were unable to attend due to Engine problems.
    I think I should be okay based on the minimal information I can find about this course viewed against my background and the fact that I will be on the job nearly a year by the time the course comes around. I know me attending the course my stir the crap pot a little since I am new but it is my money and my career, right. The ones who would complain are the same one who canít move up.

If anyone has attended this course who has any advice or thoughts I would appreciate it.
    Thank you
    Kw
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    p.s. sorry to be so long winded

From the State Fire Marshall catalog
    FSTEP Course:
    RESCUE SYSTEMS 1
    Basic Heavy Rescue
    Hours:
    40-45
    Designed For:
    All emergency response personnel
    Description:
    Key topics include: Team organization, rescue and environmental considerations, use of ropes, knots, rigging and pulley systems, descending, rappelling, and belaying tools and techniques, subsurface rescue techniques, use of cribbing, wedges, cutting/prying and hydraulic tools, use of fire service ladders in specialized rescue situations, and day and night simulated rescue exercises.
    Prerequisites:
    Fire Fighter I or equivalent training
    Certification:
    N/A

Keepin it real

It looks like it's the FEMA Structral Collapse Operations Course 40 Hours with lifting and moving, shoring, breaching and breaking, I looked up the course on the web to get the full module listings for the course.

The only kind on advice I can give you is wear cotton BDU's and good pair of steel toed boots good leather gloves hard hat ear plugs and dust mask and be ready to get dirty.

I have the 80 hour tech. course in two months.... The operations class was fun.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing though the seem to be different the price for rescue systems 1 cost about 1/10 of the FEMA course you mentioned so there must be some differnces, maybe they skip on the shoring - which to me looks like alot of the price, who knows?
    thank you for the advice.
    kw
    one of our captains was supposed to attend last year but the trip got cancelled due to the SoCal fires, I am still waiting to see him and ask his imput.
    Last edited by kwmedic; 03-09-2004 at 09:45 PM.

Forum Member

KW - Knowing how John has run YOSAR you'll be fine and perhaps even a little "bored" with the rope stuff. You should learn lots in the collapse related sections. You may find many of the urban oriented approaches interesting vis-a-vis your mountain rescue experience.

MembersZone Subscriber

With the change over to fire , I have noticed some things that I just keep my mouth shut about, mainline/belay line set ups. But if that is the standard well I am not going to open my mouth. I did have a lot to say about the Gibbs which my department had already shelved. Speaking of John I have to go and visit him pick the current YOSAR brains about equipment. thanks for the advice
    kw

kwmedic,

Most of the Rescue Systems 1 (RS1) courses are based on the California RS1 curriculum. This entails a 3 day basic rope rescue course, then two days of lift-n-move, breech/brake,and basic building shoring.
    *~~~John J. Troyer~~~*
    -Sedgwick County FD Wichita, KS
    Lieutenant - Tech Rescue Station #37B
    -Hutchinson Community College
    Instructor - OSHA, Fire, Rescue
    -Norwich Fire Department
    Volunteer Firefighter

Stay safe and remember, Gravity never sleeps!

Thread Information