Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why?

Question why?

many of my friends and family members want to know why i would want a job where the desription includes going into a burning house for someone i dont even know. i am not sure exactly how to answer this question. i usually say because someone has to do it. i dont want you to have the wrong impression of me i dont do it because it is cool or because i want to be a hero but i dont knopw how to answer their questions either. what would you say?

Forum Member

I tell them I suffer from insomnia and I'm up most nights anyway.

Did you expect a serious answer at this hour?

not yet i will hope for one in the morning you suffer from insomnia it is an hour ahead of you here

Forum Member

Actually, this morning I'm awake because I just got back from a rollover and I couldn't get back to sleep right away.

thats a good reason if i ever heard one i am in school right now where i hate it. i havent been to a call in about a month b/c the school is 150 miles from my district. i dont think they would need any help by the time i got there

Forum Member

Seriously, though, I was asked this same question last year by a high school class and I gave it a bit of thought and this is what I came up with.

A fire or accident scene is the one place where I find there is no BS to contend with. You're out there with a group of like minded individuals to do a necessary job. I don't know if it's courageous, heroic, or morbid, but I feel useful and respected. And that ain't bad.

One night before I got married, my Fiancee was over my house for the evening, I was a 2nd Asst Chief. We were sitting there watching movies and my pager goes off so I waited to listen to see what we had, call comes in as a dwelling fire w/fire showing. I told her I'll be back don't wait up. She ask me not to go, I asked her "if it was your house would you want me to go"? she said yes. enough said We are the chosen ones, keep in mind that if we dont do it nobody else will. We are positive brothers and sisters with an unselfish like manner willing to risk our lives to protect or save the lives and property of the people in our communities.
    If we don't do it nobody else will!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by hotboy
    We are the chosen ones
    Chosen ones?

I don't feel like a "chosen one", I just joined so I could put lights & sirens on my POV
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

For me, it was tradition, brotherhood, and comraderie. Not to mention truly, unselfishly helping people. Not to mention it was cool to work a truck with my dad for a while.

I guess it's cause I'm a sucker for the punishment?!?! I get satisfaction from statements like "the fd took forever to get here" and "look they're washing the trucks again cause they have nothing else to do with their lives" or "them fireman...boy can they drink beer!"

Seriously though, I don't know the answer to your question. Something sucked me in when I was a teenager. I had the general interest in firetrucks, etc nothing out of the ordinary, you know parades and stuff and from there I just got drawn in. Once I was in and found out what it was really about, there isn't a chance I would ever leave. Does seeing lives torn apart by tragedy upset me? Does some of the petty bs that taxpayers throw at you while sitting on their refuse to lift a finger I would rather criticize ***** bother me sometimes? Yes from time to time, but that's human nature. On the other hand there is nothing better than a pat on the back and a heartfelt thank you from a civilian you were able to help regain order in their life again or little things like when you complete some new training that you never ever in-visioned yourself able to do (rappelling for me...yikes!) Never in a million years did I think I would ever do something like that, but the fire service has given me both the opportunity, training and now ability to do it and there is a certain personal satisfaction out of both challenging yourself as well as putting another 'tool in the toolbox' to help someone in time of need.

I guess there really isn't an exact answer, it's just something we do. I guess that's why I have such a hard time explaining it to my wife. She doesn't get understand. She thinks i'm nuts and she really doesn't like the fd (she appreciates the service provided) but she wishes someone other than me would be running out on her dinners, etc.

Don't know if that makes any sense. I was interrupted like 18 times typing it so it's a little choppy.

Default Why...

Mom, Dad- I simply want to do because not everyone
    can. I want to rise above the bar. Go above and
    beyond and most, challenge myself and then some.

And course...because it is fun to drive with lights
    and siren and sometimes break stuff!

Or maybe it is just the pure satisfaction of helping
    people. See below-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

it runs in my blood.

that is what i tell everybody.

i love to help other people.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

As my father who retired in 96 always says.....

"It takes a certain bread to do this job", "if the cops can't shoot it or handcuff it who do they call, the FD" and my favorite,"you get to do three things your mother told you not to do, get dirty, play w/ fire, and break other peoples s@%t"

think about it, everything that we do to help our fellow man, It is a great feeling to know that you make a difference in someoneís life every day....weather you are Fire Dept, EMS, or Police we are here for the pure service of others and I don't know much about the relationships of police and EMS fields, but we, (the Fire Service Professionals) are all members of an extended family...Who doesn't feel a loss when you see a new LODD.....I love this job, the good and the bad that come with it...keeps my feet planted and my mine strong...these are my reasons I would like to think that others look at the job same as I do-

What is the saying, I have only one ambition in life and that is to be a fireman....

Be safe and GOD Bless!
    Last edited by CairoFD; 03-09-2004 at 03:45 PM.
    "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy
    cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, worst, if fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat" Theodore Roosevelt
    Dedicated to those brave souls who lost their lives on 9-11-2001

Default Re: why?

Originally posted by AntiochVFD222
    many of my friends and family members want to know why i would want a job where the desription includes going into a burning house for someone i dont even know.
    I've been a vol. fireman for 6 1/2 years and haven't been asked that before. I think it's a rude question. They should be commending you. Maybe you should ask them if they were trapped in a burning house, how would they like it if a bunch of people stood outside saying "You're crazy! I'm not going into a burning house for somebody I don't even know!!"

good point

I kind of look at it from this stand point, I'm helping the people that can't help themselves. We as a profession or as some would say a calling see people at their best and alot of the time their worst, we are the one they call when they have no one else to turn to.

I had more to say, but I believe what I had wrote above sums it up.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Forum Member

This coming from my father who was both in the emergency medical side of life.. and also at another point the law enforcement side...

He said "I always hated going to a scene as a LEO because there was always 1 side that did not like you being there, (someone called you on someone else..), in EMS whoever you were called out to was glad to see you (their help) arrive deep down inside!"

I think it's one of the best things i've ever heard...
    "A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood"

Default I also do it....

...because chicks dig the uniform. And I let them
    blow the siren...

from CairoFD

As my father who retired in 96 always says.....

"It takes a certain bread to do this job", "if the cops can't shoot it or handcuff it who do they call, the FD" and my favorite,"you get to do three things your mother told you not to do, get dirty, play w/ fire, and break other peoples s@%t"
    Thats the best, but you forgot we get to drive really cool trucks too!

Forum Member

I couldnt answer that question other than with the usual "dunno". And I really dont, I know what I enjoy about it, but I have always wanted to run with a fire department and will my whole life. But who knows why... sometimes I really wish I did....lol
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Thread Information