Default "And write on the blackboard one thousand times..."

Gotta love Massachusetts judges...now now, it's OK, the insurance covered most of it...

WORCESTER- A Templeton woman who gambled away more than $65,000 she stole from the credit union where she worked was ordered yesterday to write an essay explaining why what she did was wrong and to pay back $20,000.

Rochelle R. Kennedy, who pleaded guilty last month to charges of embezzling $66,691 from the Leominster Credit Union in Leominster, was placed on probation for 10 years after a sentencing hearing yesterday in Worcester Superior Court. As conditions of probation, Judge Peter W. Agnes Jr. ordered that the 41-year-old mother of three remain under house arrest for one year, undergo any counseling recommended by the Probation Department, pay $20,000 in restitution and, within the next 60 days, write a 1,500-word essay about her criminal actions and their consequences.

The essay is to be forwarded to credit union officials by the Probation Department and may also be released to the press under Judge Agnes' order.

The prosecutor recommended yesterday that Ms. Kennedy be sentenced to two years in the House of Correction with one year to be served. Mr. Lemire asked that the balance of the sentence be suspended for 10 years with probation and that Ms. Kennedy be ordered to pay $91,691 in restitution.

Mr. Lemire said the $91,691 amount represented the money that was stolen and the $25,000 spent by the credit union for an audit that was conducted after the thefts were uncovered. He said the credit union was reimbursed by its insurer for all but $20,000, but the insurer was seeking to recoup the money it paid out, as well.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

are they going to start doing this to rapist and murderers too??? That is just to harsh....they should have cut her some slack...

Weezy
    "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy
    cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, worst, if fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat" Theodore Roosevelt
    Dedicated to those brave souls who lost their lives on 9-11-2001

Forum Member

Geez, what's next? 1000 lashes with a wet noodle??

BTW, you can't make kids write those sentences in school anymore......it's considered corporal punishment...... And we all wonder why the kids are the way they are!
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Forum Member

If the judge had to come up with the $71,000 from
    his budget would he rule the same way??? I think not.
    how do such people stay in office?

Forum Member

Originally posted by firemanpat29
    If the judge had to come up with the $71,000 from
    his budget would he rule the same way??? I think not.
    how do such people stay in office?
    Judges in this state are appointed,not elected.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

I thought the Pilgrims hung people like this..?

Somehow, the laws and justice system that were thought to be cruel and barbaric in new England prior to the 19th century would work out just fine here. Public humiliation was a major part of punishment in stocks and pillories. In smaller villages, crimes and those whom committed them would be well known; as the responsible parties would spend a week in the village greene. This of course would increase their shame for the crime, possibly making them think it may not be such a bright idea next time.
    Often the public would hail stone, dead animals, rotten foods and burning objects at the person confined to the stocks. It was also known, though less common that prisoners had their ears torn off, and their faces branded with the initials of the person whom the crime was committed against.

Forum Member

Alright then how do the people that appoint
    the judges get re-elected? some one has to
    be responcable.

In our county, we elect the commissioners, in turn they appoint a committee of the board of elections; who select three judges.

The citizens then vote on one of the three.

This judge does a bi-monthly court session for three counties. Unless there is a trial court, at which time they would commence as any other court would on a daily basis.

This is what happens in rural areas; everyone is hung on the same day... In January, March, May, July, September or November.

Truckie

Rochelle R. Kennedy, who pleaded guilty last month to charges of embezzling $66,691 from the Leominster Credit Union in Leominster
    ...pay $20,000 in restitution
    You have to like the liberal courts on the east coast, in America for that matter. The judge proved crime DOES pay, to the tune of $49,691 of basically free money. Now the insurance company has to go through all the expense of taking this common criminal to civil court to recoup the money they had to pay on the claim to the credit union.
    Ever wonder why the trial lawyers association is one of the largest donator to the democratic party?
    Ever wonder why your insurance premiums keep going up?
    Ever wonder why you can't afford health care?
    Ever wonder why Doctors can't afford malpractice insurance?
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 03-12-2004 at 01:35 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Default Welcome to Massachusetts

And Connecticut ain't much better anymore.

Massachusetts has 39 State Senators -- 6 are Republicans. They have 160 House members -- I think there are 17 Republicans. Democrats dominate, and the Boston-area machine Democrats lead them. One of the news articles on the whole gay marriage constitutional issue, which is incredibly evenly divided (measures keep failing by like 1 or 2 votes because of different blocks swinging their votes on specific verbiage), mentioned the Republicans and "Progressive" Democrats are feeling awful meaningful all of a sudden, since their votes actually count for something.

I don't know about MA specifically, but CT Judges are appointed "for life" or until age 70, when they go into a sort of semi-retirement as arbitrators instead of sitting for trials. I'm sure MA is similiar.

MA especially the courts are a *huge* source of political patronage & money -- the Chief Court Administrator keeps crying in the paper about, "My God, we can't close all these district court's...they're the People's Courts, we can't make people drive 10, 15 miles further to the next closest!"
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Thread Information