Forum Member

Default Tobacco use in fire Departments

What are your feeling and opinions towards the use of tobacco in fire Departments and any Fire Department vehicles?
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

I use it and I rather enjoy it, thanks for asking.
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

we have no rules about the use of tobacco at our dept. not many of us use it but those of us that do can use it in our trucks. this has not been an issue yet. it is however a volunteer dept. i find that is a very good stress reliever

MembersZone Subscriber

People worried about second hand smoke as firefighters is like people worried about skin cancer being lifeguards.

Forum Member

There is no tobacco use of any kind allowed in any city building, here. It is also prohibited to smoke, dip, or chew in fire apparatus.

Forum Member

Our dept...No smoking in the hall...No smoking in the trucks...If yah wanna smoke...Go outside...The smokers of the dept abide by this rule and everyones happy

Cool Recent Quitter!!!

I recently quit smoking. We were never allowed to smoke/tobacco use on any fd vehicle and it was banned in stations about 3 years ago, with exception of truck floor. But, those who chewed or rubbed got away with everything. I know my smoke was irritating but, I also find cups of spit disgusting too. Now I'd prefer that everybody keep it out of the station totally because it just makes me want one....I smoked for over 20 years. Heavily!!!
    http://wheelingfire.com

Burnie Yoho (member)
    IAFF Local #12
    "Wheeling Firefighters"
    Wheeling, WV. 26003

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Burnie, good job on quitting! It's the best thing you could probably have done for yourself. Chew lots of gum!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

In Massachusetts it is against state Civil Service laws to use tobacco products if you were appointed after November of 1988. No pipes, chew, dip, cigars, or cigarettes. If you were appointed before then, you can do all you want.

There have been many guys released from their jobs fo rusing tobacco. The unions try to fight it but lose because when you are appointed you have to sign a document that says you understand the law and it is an announcement for every exam offered by the state.

This was part of the pension reform act and also part of the preseumtive heart and lung bill that the state legislature adopted. This law also applies to call and volunteer fierfighters as well as full-time and reserve police officers.

I don't have a problems with it.

People worried about second hand smoke as firefighters is like people worried about skin cancer being lifeguards.
    Not true. I can get enough crap in my lungs I do not need to get any help from another guy's tobacco smoke. I can handle building smoke from a fire, but tobacco smoke irritates my nose, eyes, and lungs much worse. As for the presumptive heart / lung bill - I can't balem the towns. You are already at a higher risk for developing many forms of cancer, so you shouldn't be helping it along.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

No smoking allowed in town owned property which includes our trucks, but not our building.

I don't smoke and it really doesn't bother me if people do or don't smoke.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

From the city where tobacco was once the largest employer with over 12 plants, the City has established rules on smoking.

No smoking in city building. Fire does and can have a designated inside area so smokers can smoke. Usually the apparatus room or the in some cases the kitchen, when meals are not being taken.

There is a no smoking rule for any and all city vehicles. No smoking inside any vehicle. Althought, this is hard to enforce with the single driver vehicles.

As a smoker who stopped after nearly 30 years, I have no problem with those who smoke. Just don't blow your smoke at me. I do not like chewing gum either. I got through the withdrawals by mind control and mints.

There are department that have new members sign an agreement that they will not smoke or stop if they are smoking at time of hire.

Stay Safe & Well out there.....

Forum Member

No tobacco in our hall, no tobacco in our trucks, no tobacco on training nights, no tobacco on fire scenes. I guess you could say we have a stringent policy. But everyone gets along and nobody is angry over it.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

I haven't thought much of Massachusetts policies & legislation, but Sharkie brought up a terrific one.

I can't begin to imagine why someone would destroy their lungs & cardiovascular system with such obvious crap as tobacco products. It makes me wonder why these people would bother using BA's in a fire or wear their seat belts.

Any habit that interferes with my human right to life shall be regulated. As illness & death are undoubtedly linked to smoking AND secondhand smoke, I see absolutely no reason to allow this into an environment where smokers & nonsmokers must cohabitate.

Finally, we work in a high profile occupation. We set examples for the public, whether it be duty on the job or actions on the road, in BARS, or anywhere that we can somehow be associated with the fire service. Why should a town that issues a T-shirt allow its members to promote a negative image with the public with such things as smoking? As for municipal liability, I say image & health go hand in hand, and any municipality that is responsible for someone's health benefits has every right to say a city employee will NOT remain employed with the use of carcinogenic products.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

we are the same a Nozz...........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Loo,

That is the best analogy I've ever heard! LOL!

I don't smoke tobacco often...one or two cigars a year.
    But I don't really worry about anyone who smokes around me...I've got more to worry about the smoke at fires.

Smoke'em if you got'em!
    FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a citywide policy of no tobacco use inside city buildings. We can smoke outside in one designated spot on the back side of the station. We have to keep it clean otherwise it will be gone very quick. There is absolutely no tobacco use in any vehicle or on any scene or in the eyes of the public.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smoking is restricted to the apparatus floor.

Forum Member

Smoking is prohibited in the fire house and apparatus, if you need a smoke, you go outside.Although dipping or chewing is allowed in apparatus, firehouse and on scene. i dont smoke, but i dip ALOT (can't run on a call without it)

Thread Information