Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default [deleted]

Last edited by CollegeBuff; 01-12-2005 at 04:08 AM.

In Minnesota, having an EVOC certificate (aka defensive driving) is required to drive an ambulance red lights and siren. Because of this, the class is offered during EMT or EMT-P training through the college. Maybe the local communitee collage has a source?
    Though, our administration seems to feel their are immune to state laws because "we are a big city department"...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Try checking with your State Dept. of Health to see if they offer such a course, or a list of contacts for the same.

EVOC is a good thing .........one of these days I will take the train the trainer and get all of our people certified,
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

My department requires both classes.

Everyone must have a current defensive driving card (good for three years). It's given by the National Safety Council and is approx 6 hours in length.

Everyone also must have taken an EVOC class recognised by the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control. This class is generally 14 hours in length. This is a one time class required to become apparatus operators.

The difference between the two classes is the DDC is geared towards every day driving, where EVOC is geared specifically toward emergency vehicle driving.

MembersZone Subscriber

They could be refering to the NSC class. I don't know for sure. The best thing to do would be make a phone call or two to the personel department of the agency and find out.

Thread Information