Forum Member

Default SCBA and standards...

Gentlemen...

What are the differences between NFPA/NIOSH/OSHA standards regarding SCBAs?

Do any of these standards mention personal regulators and face pieces as a requirement/recommendation?

Forum Member

We just went over this in firefighter 1 class. I think all of the national standards(NFPA/OSHA/MSHA, etc.) coincide with each other. Then the state has their standards, and the locals have theirs.
    Proud to be IACOJ!
    MD FF/EMT

Forum Member

There is a difference in the standards/regulations. OSHA requires that SCBAs be approved by NIOSH. It is possible to get non-NFPA approved SCBAs for non-firefighting applications. These cost hundreds of dollars less than the NFPA models and are perfectly adequate for the industrial applications they are designed for. The primary difference can usually be seen in the materials used in the harness. The unit may look almost identical to the NFPA models, but they state on the backplate that they are not to be used for firefighting operations.

As for individual masks, OSHA does not require a mask for each individual, but:

1910.134(h)(1)(i)
    Respirators issued for the exclusive use of an employee shall be cleaned and disinfected as often as necessary to be maintained in a sanitary condition;
    1910.134(h)(1)(ii)
    Respirators issued to more than one employee shall be cleaned and disinfected before being worn by different individuals;

This means that the mask must be cleaned AND disinfected after every run for volunteer or POC departments and after every shift for paid departments (if the mask has been used on the previous shift). This does not mean just rinsing the facepiece. The details are contained in one of the appendices to the Respirator Standard and the procedures are mandetory. That's why many departments issue individual masks and make it the responsibility of the FF to keep it clean. The disinfecting process can also shorten the life of the face piece due to the chemicals that must be used. I always go with something recommended by the manufacturer, but I still believe it is not good for the mask in the long run.

Keep in mind that these are the OSHA requirements. If your state has a state plan, it may have different requirements. In many cases, state plans are more stringent that the federal plan. Remember, OSHA has to approve the state plan before it can be implemented.

MembersZone Subscriber

don't forget the ANSI standards while your compiling a list the one for SCBA's is 1852-2002 ANSI

Protective Economist

Default Re: SCBA and standards...

Originally posted by Pride373
    Gentlemen...

What are the differences between NFPA/NIOSH/OSHA standards regarding SCBAs?

Do any of these standards mention personal regulators and face pieces as a requirement/recommendation?
    NFPA is a standards making body; it does not have any regulatory authority.

NIOSH is a testing body; it verifies that respirators (and othter PPE) meet certain performance standards.

OSHA is an enforcement body; it ensures that the workplace is safe.

I don't think personal regulators is mandated; just cleaning and decontamination between use.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Thread Information