MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Question Super 8 movie question--the kids won't understand

I have a collection of Super 8mm home movie films. Most are fire related and were taken in the late 60's and early 70's. It was state of the art when purchased complete with flood light and tri-pod.

Does anyone know how or where these could be transfered to dvd format. I thought about vhs but I think it might be short lived just like beta and eight-track tapes. (I have some of them too.)

Any ideas, let me know.

Stay safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

MembersZone Subscriber

If I can recal correctly, there are businesses that specialize in that sort of stuff. I have no idea where to send you in Hartford but I would head to a camera shop and ask them if they do it. I actually think that my local camera shop, Click!, does transfer such as that.

Good luck.

Scott
    Dayton, OH

Forum Member

I know that often it is a camera shop that does the super 8 to VHS transfers, I would think that they would be able to transfer to DVD, and if not they should know who can. Best of luck, and let me know what you find out. My parents have some super 8 movies that I would like to see transfered to DVD.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Like Lewiston said,
    Try your local photo store. One that provides a full line of photography equipment..Wal Mart, Target, etc won't be able to do it. Usually the photo shops will send it out to a company that does do the transfers. For the equipment you need to do it, it usually isn't cost effective for them to do it on premise. I think (not 100% sure) that they charge by the foot of film for the transfers.
    Yes I guess I still am a "kid" (24), but I do remember Super 8 films. Probably because I was majoring for a short time in broadcast engineering, and super 8 was mentioned in the tv/film history class We also have some old trainings taped on super 8 that I have to get transferred over at some point.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

MembersZone Subscriber

Independent production companies that make low budget commercials, corporate training materials etc. may be a place to start.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Super 8 movie question -- the kids won't understand

...I'm "just a kid" but I know what a Super 8 movie is. I'm an amateur photographer and love to film also. A quick search on Google provided:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...versions%2BDVD

Hope that it helps...

Edit: Removed some of my sarcasm.

Forum Member

I know even here we have a place that does it, but this is Ohio.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Talking THANK YOU!!

Pete,

What a great idea! I've had some of my husbands families "old" Super 8 films for years and just never quite knew what to do to preserve the memories they must contain. With this being the year my husband and I celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, transferring these films to some format he could watch could be no better gift.

To all of you who posted ideas where to get this work done,

I will look into all avenues, your ideas and help will provide my husband with a gift I'm sure will be remembered forever.

HEARTFELT THANKS TO YOU ALL!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I recall years ago my father putting some of our old Super 8 movies on VHS using a video transfer box that he aquired.

I couldn't tell you where he got it from, but I did find this link on the internet.

This is the closest thing I've found to it... good luck finding it.

Forum Member

www.gvfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the help folks. At 25 cents a foot I need to do some serious editing before I convert them. I think I still have my editing machine somewhere.

Glad that some "kids" still know what Super 8 is. Just for the record I recently turned 60. I had 31 years in the fire service.

Stay safe,

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

MembersZone Subscriber

Transfer it to VHS then transfer the VHS to DVD. I think this is this best and most cost efficient option.

FIGJAM

Super 8's???

They must have been around when you old timers played music off those round black vinyl things....

What were they called?

.... ah that's right- records!!!
    Luke

Thread Information