Master Firefighter

Default Icom Portable Radios your opinions

I am looking at getting an icom F3GS for use with my ambulance corp. Anyone out there have any history with the likes and dislikes of ICOM. I am looking for any view pros and cons.
    Last edited by nwadler; 03-10-2004 at 08:43 PM.

Forum Member

I've been told that ICOM makes a good, reliable radio, with a Warranty longer than Motorolas and a few others. I've never had any experience with them myself, but looked at them also......

Forum Member

Our department has a few Icom radios. They work very well and are very reliable. The handhelds seem to have a sensitive mic so you have to watch out if you are outside in high winds it seems to pick up surrounding noise. Overall they are a great radio.
    Brian Cook
    Asst. Chief

Forum Member

Originally posted by AsstChief11
    Our department has a few Icom radios. They work very well and are very reliable. The handhelds seem to have a sensitive mic so you have to watch out if you are outside in high winds it seems to pick up surrounding noise. Overall they are a great radio.
    Chief, how do they hold up in a fire? How about heavy rain? What model do you have?

Forum Member

I have an ICOM, not sure of the model I know it's a UHF High Band, and I must say I've given it a beating, several working fires, MVA's etc and it still works great, We had lots of problems with the Motorola low band but ICOM has worked great!!!
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

Forum Member

I've never used Icomm commercial radios nor do I know anyone who has. I will say two things.

1. Their ham radio gear is top notch. Take it for what it's worth.

2. Motorola is going to produce themselves out of the conventional two-way market with companies like Kenwood, Vertex, and Icomm. Most kenwood radios will squash a Motorola now a days. If you don't need any of the fancy Motorola proprietary features, your wasting your money buying them in my opinion. They used to be the king with products like the MT1000 and Jedi series radios. But it is really going downhill. Vertex makes good stuff but has some warrenty repeair lead-time issues. Three months is kinda long to fix a radio. They are getting better but right now, I'm holding off. Again, never used Icomm but I would imagine it is decent stuff.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Sr. Information Officer

Originally posted by nmfire
    1. Their ham radio gear is top notch. Take it for what it's worth.

I'll agree 100%. I've had numerous versions of ICOM VHF radios over the last 25 years and they've proven themselves time and time again. In particular, the ICOM 02-AT 2 meter amateur version has endured rain, sleet, snow, dust, cold, heat....whatever I've thrown at it. It continues to perform flawlessly. Their VHF Marine Band radios are also very reliable in that environment.

Good luck...whatever you decide.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Thumbs up

We have had ICOM radios for approximately 4 years. We have both the truck mounted variey and the hand held portables. We have been extremely satisfied with the quality of the radios, the ease of operation and their overall reliability. We have approximately 25 portables and in 4 years we've had one that needed service. They hold up well in rain and general firefighting use. I don't have the portable model number with me, but they all use basicly the same frame and circuit board.

As far as I'm concerned, they beat the crap out of Motorola on both price and reliability.

Been there, done that, still got the crappy M stuff in the closet!!
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

MembersZone Subscriber

We've been using ICOM handheld radios for several months now. They are great. They are very reliable. They also have great range. Fast recharge time too. I've been on several working fires with mine and it is holding up great so far.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Thread Information