Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dry Ice Bomb

Post Dry Ice Bomb

Does anyone have any information, experience, stories on Dry Ice Bombs. Particularly if they have been used in the past in your areas or what kind of damage and energy they pack. We are setting up a mock disaster and that is going to be the bomb used and I need some information on them. Thanks in advance for the help.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

I won't put the mechanics or "how to" of these devices on the boards, but I can give the principles involved. A dry ice bomb is simply an overpressurization device like the "McGyver bombs" that were so common. They just employ a different chemical process using different materials for the same results.

The ice sublimates into gas very rapidly when the materials are assembled. The volume of gas rapidly increases the pressure within the container until it fails. Depending upon the size of the device it can cause some damage, and potential injuries. Like any kind of an overpressurization device they have very serious potential.

I'm not sayng that you're gonna play with these things, but anyone that is considering it, should be aware that the construction of an overpressurization device is a federal offense. ATF isn't usually very impressed. In most jurisdictions, charges of aggravated arson could be filed as well should anyone be injured by one of these things. Homemade devices of any kind are bad mojo.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help. My plan is to do a mock disaster here on campus. It would involve police, fire, and EMS agencies from the county. I just want to make it as realistic as possible. I know how they work. I am looking more for what kind of damage they do and if they have been used as weapons in the past and where. Just for backround. The purpose for my project is a 4 credit hour honors project. Once again thanks for the help.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Here's a couple of links.
    Utah device
    New Jersey data
    Incident near MIT
    Delaware incident

You piqued my interest, so I started looking myself, and found these incidents and several others. We've not seen any around here...yet.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thread Information