Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Another Black Eye...

Texas Firefighter En Route To Accident Strikes And Kills Pedestrian

TUCKER WILSON
    Courtesy of News 24 Houston

Pictures of 48-year-old Brady Parker Jr. on his daughter's wedding day are memories his family and friends have. Memories are all they have now that he's gone.

“He was going to run across the road and come right back, and we're waiting and waiting and he didn't come and didn't come,” Parker’s girlfriend, Laurie Saurer says. “The next thing we hear is people running up saying he got hit by a car and he was dead.”

And what makes it even harder for the family is the fact that the driver was a volunteer firefighter responding to a similar accident further down the road in her personal vehicle. It didn't have any emergency lights.

“I'm not getting it. You're supposed to yield to pedestrians. You're supposed to have your caution lights on if you're trying to get to an accident scene. There's no way,” Parker’s niece, Ieshia Carrington says.

“Firefighters responding in this manner are expected to follow all traffic laws,” Magnolia Volunteer Fire Department Chief Steve Sanguedolce says.

Eyewitnesses and relatives say the victim was already across the street and on the side of the road when he was struck.

DPS estimates 22-year-old Korri Rinkel was driving anywhere from 60 to 80 miles an hour when she struck Parker.

“You have a stop light here,” the victim’s sister, Pam Parker, says. “What were her plans for the stop light? Was she just going to go through that also?”

Chief Sanguedolce says Rinkel had no idea she was responding to a fatality.

“The Magnolia Volunteer Fire Department would like to offer our most sincere and heartfelt thoughts to family and friends of the deceased,” he says.

A memorial service will be held for Parker Saturday.

DPS and the Magnolia Fire Department will complete the investigation and turn its findings over to the district attorney's office.

It will be up to the Montgomery County district attorney to decide whether to take the case before a grand jury for any potential charges.

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

Not good...not good at all.

My condolences to the familiy of the deceased.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

MembersZone Subscriber

No matter how many times I read about these, it hurts. It really hurts.

Eric

Default Re: Another Black Eye...

Originally posted by cozmosis
    And what makes it even harder for the family is the fact that the driver was a volunteer firefighter responding to a similar accident further down the road in her personal vehicle. It didn't have any emergency lights.
    DPS estimates 22-year-old Korri Rinkel was driving anywhere from 60 to 80 miles an hour when she struck Parker.

while my deepest sympathies go out to the family of the deceased, i just wanted to point out two things. had the vol FF been using a blue light, everyone would be preaching how evil they are and how we should get rid of them. secondly, if he is driving 60-80 miles on any road other than a major highway, then he probably shouldn't be driving at all.

Dan
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Unhappy

First and foremost, my thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Brady Parker.

Second....as it is very early in the investigation of this incident...I shall await more details of the circumstances, before I comment further on this tragedy. Initially however, the following quote alarms me:
    This initial estimate of speed is very troubling. Again...I await further details.

NJ
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber gordoffemt's Avatar

Unhappy

The only thing more senseless than killing ourselves en route is killing some innocent bystander.

When will we learn?

My sympathies to the family of the deceased.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Forum Member

A very valid point about the blue light... maybe if she did have one it would not have happened? Only a thought, but hey ya never know... only she does.

And with the speed that is troubling, lets hope it was on the lower end. Going 60 is nothing around here atleast, cause all of our roads except righ through the village have speedlimits of 55 so 60 is nothing. Anything over that though is just overkill.

And if there is one thing I have ever noticed going to the fire hall for a call.... whether I go 30 or 45, it seems to take the same amount of time.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

my sympathyies to the families and friends of both of the deceased...

i don't know all the circumstances in this accident, however, what i think ppl. all have failed to realize is that this accident occurred at about 9:30 at night...IMHO even if she was driving say 40 or 50 mph, she would not have seen the victim much sooner...from the reports it sounded like he was just walking/running accross the street when he was struck...i don't necesserily blame this all on the speed of the car but more of a combination...the adreniline she must have been feeling on her way to a fatal crash (she had been responding to a fatal pedestrian crash involving a teenager) must have played a huge part in the accident...tunnel vision is a major contributing factor towards MVA's in responding to incidents...i'd like to wait and see for the final reports to come out before we start placing blame...if she was traveling at 80mph there is no doubt she should be held at fault, but realize that most FF don't speed this much enroute to calls...

and the whole deal with would a blue light have possibly prevented this...well we will never know, but it surely wouldn't have hurt...if the victim had seen the light comming down the road he may have been able to get out of the way...but then again how did he not see headlights speeding towards him...the other side to this issue is that blue lights tend to make driving a little more difficult, just like at a party with a strobe light goin, it makes it really hard to see because everything appears in slow motion because of the "frame-by-frame" type flashes...the other thing is that traveling at that rate of speed, depending on the blue light laws in that area but you wont be able to see them untill they are within a couple hundred feet if not less...not giving enough time for the victim to move or for the driver to stop...

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

Originally posted by NJFFSA16
    Second....as it is very early in the investigation of this incident...I shall await more details of the circumstances, before I comment further on this tragedy.
    NJ
    That is the only way we should handle this as PROFESIONALS. Unless you are very familiar with the road that it happened on and the department involved you should wait to get the details that will come out in due time.

Originally posted by DrParasite
    secondly, if he is driving 60-80 miles on any road other than a major highway, then he probably shouldn't be driving at all.
    First, again it was a she.

Second,in Texas we have a large number of two lane “Secondary” roads such as farm to market or FM, county roads, state highways that have speed limits of 60, 65 and 70 MPH. So I would not be so quick to judge that they are an unsafe driver based on a lot less than the whole story.

Originally posted by NJFFSA16
    she had been responding to a fatal pedestrian crash involving a teenager
    If you read the story again she had no idea it was a fatality.

First, my condolences go out to the family and witnesses. And in no way do my comments mean to belittle Mr. Parker's life or death, but here they are:

“Eyewitnesses and relatives say the victim was already across the street and on the side of the road when he was struck”. On the side of the road? My first impression is that he was peeping out between cars, and proceeded out without being fully aware of traffic. Again, 60-80 mph is too fast. Would this have been avoided if the speed limit was followed? Sometimes tragedies are truly accidents, but we are often quick to judge and prosecute. But since we know someone was not following all of society’s rules when this occurred, they are immediately placed at exclusive fault.

All I’m saying is that blame may be shared. Unfortunately, Mr. Parker paid the dearest price for his.

MembersZone Subscriber

1st:
    The victim landed 300+ feet from impact and almost severed in two.(Was she driving too fast? Oh yeah she was hauling butt. Hwy 1488 is an Autoban.)
    2nd:
    She had just completed her last rookie class that evening and was allowed to make responses.
    3rd:
    we in Texas are not denied any particular colored light as long as blue is not in the outside part of the lightbar.
    4th: Most volunteer departments in our area have certain requirements before they are allowed to run with lights and siren. Until then they must drive within normal traffic situations.

She is a single mother who will now have to live with knowing she took another life while responding to save another.

Thread Information