HUNTINGTON STATION, N.Y. (AP) - A house fire on Long Island
injured five firefighters Wednesday, including one who had severe
burns, Suffolk County police said.
The Huntington Manor fire department responded to a fire at 205
Fourth Ave. in Huntington Station at 2:56 p.m.
The fire spread quickly through the three-story structure and
required assistance from eight surrounding fire departments, but
was brought under control at 5:10 p.m.
Four firefighters were taken to Huntington Hospital, all but one
was treated and released. The remaining firefighter was admitted
for observation due to chest pains.
A fifth firefighter suffered second degree burns over 18 percent
of his body and airlifted to University Hospital and is listed in
stable condition in the burn unit.
Arson Squad detectives determined the origin of the blaze to be
an electrical fault within a multi-outlet power strip, igniting a
(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)