MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default "Todd is a quality hockey player who made a mistake."

I am not a big sports fan of any sport, so I have no vested interest in this as a 'fan'. However, as a person who generally abides by the law, and very much in particular to what is "right" or "wrong" behaviour, this story rates right up there with "WRONG" written all over it.

When I first heard the story, it didn't have a big impact on my thoughts until the report on the extent of Moore's injuries, in particular, his spinal injuries. Then we started to hear how Bertuzzi was "real sorry" etc, and that he "didn't mean to hurt" Moore.

Personally (and please correct me if I am wrong on this next thought) but I am pretty sure that if I had done to another person, what Bertuzzi did to Moore, I believe that I could reasonably expect that my Backside would be in jail right now. I am pretty sure there would be charges of assault causing bodily harm coming my way too.

In my view, what is the difference between what Bertuzzi did, and his "apology" and what a drunk driver does when he/she kills another person? Does a really heartfelt "sorry I didn't mean to do that" get the killer a sentence, of "suspension from work"? NO. He or she get's a realy nice and hefty fine, AND time behind bars.

So does the fact that Bertuzzi is a celebrity who is a "hero" to a very great lot of kids and no few number of adutls make what he did any less than the drunk in his car? I surely hope not, although I am under no illusions that the answer will be "Yes" and he will walk away free. I wonder how his coach and GM will react if Bertuzzi does get a civil suit laid against him?

It's all fine and wonderful to be remorseful and sorry about doing something that caused an injury to someone. It's a greater person to be contientous of your actions and the reprecussions of them BEFORE you take them.

My last question/point: If Bertuzzi walks away from this with nothing more than a suspension for the remainder of the season, and a fine, what lesson will this teach to the young kids who see him as a hero?

A friend of mine suggested that a great punishment would be to take Bertuzzi off the line up and make him give the primary care for Moore. Let him get a taste of what it's like and the pain he has caused.

Incidentally I guess it's fair to say that I am actually in agreement with not only a politician, but the man who happens to be my Country's Prime Minister too. Now who woulda thunk that one? {I dont' like politicians with great passion}

{Ok, my rant light is "OFF"}

Martin tells NHL to curb 'vicious' attacks
    Bertuzzi suspended at least until next season

Elliott Pap CanWest News Service

NHL official Colin Campbell outlines penalty.

Vancouver Canucks' general manager Brian Burke says he is shocked at the fine imposed on the team.

CREDIT: CanWest News Service

Prime Minster Paul Martin waded into the Todd Bertuzzi affair Thursday, calling Bertuzzi's attack on Colorado Avalanche player Steve Moore "a particularly vicious act."

The National Hockey League obviously agreed with the prime minister as it suspended the Vancouver Canuck forward for the remainder of the NHL season, including all playoff games.

Bertuzzi will be required to apply for reinstatement prior to the 2004-05 campaign. He will forfeit $501,926.39 US in pay.

The Canuck organization was also fined $250,000 for the incident Monday night in which Bertuzzi sucker-punched Moore, knocking him unconscious and putting him in hospital with a concussion and two neck fractures.

"I'd certainly say (to professional hockey) clean up your act," Martin said in London, Ont.

"This kind of story unfortunately is not new, but this is a particularly vicious attack. Obviously I think that hockey has a lot on its plate."

"I don't think it's given Canada a black eye, but I certainly don't think it's helped hockey."

Canuck president and general manager Brian Burke would not comment on the severity of the suspension, explaining that he will be pleading Bertuzzi's case for reinstatement during the summer. He also would not comment on whether the club will launch an appeal. However, he was outraged by the team fine.

Burke said it was "horribly unjust" for the league to suggest that Vancouver head coach Marc Crawford, or others in the organization, acted improperly by creating an environment that incited Bertuzzi to attack Moore.

"I am absolutely shocked at the size of the fine and the notion that Marc did anything other than what a coach is supposed to do in this circumstance,"said Burke, who claimed the league spent less than 10 minutes Wednesday investigating the team's role in the incident and then put in a three-minute call to Crawford.

"I am shocked, shocked, at the size of the fine given the tiny amount of attention that was paid to finding out what the club involvement was," said Burke.

Burke said he was also unhappy with the manner in which Bertuzzi was being portrayed as a villain in the media.

"I think it's just been shameful,"he said. "Todd is a quality hockey player who made a mistake."

Bertuzzi did not speak to the media Thursday or issue any kind of statement but, according to Burke, he was devastated.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman was emphatic that the league needed to send out a clear message about violent acts that fall outside the boundaries of the game.

"I think ultimately we'll be judged on our response and the message that it sends," Bettman said. "The message that's being sent is this is not a part of our game, it has no place in our game, and it will not be tolerated in our game."

Canuck players absorbed the news Thursday before leaving for Edmonton and tonight's game with the Oilers. Beginning today, they plan to avoid all talk of the Bertuzzi-Moore incident and concentrate on playing their games. They have 12 remaining before the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

"There is no doubt there is a huge void without Todd," said Canuck captain Markus Naslund. "Todd is one of the absolute best players in the league and it's unfortunate.

"People are counting us out now but we are going try to use this as a motivating factor. I'm not going to promise anything but I can promise you that we will do our absolute best to prove people wrong."

Meanwhile, Moore's family said it appreciated "the tremendous outpouring of public support" it has received since the incident. The family had no comment on the attack, the suspension or the police investigation. The family's only focus, said a statement, was "concern for the health of their son and brother."

There was no medical update on Moore's condition Thursday, although he was expected to leave Vancouver General Hospital today to fly home to Denver.

Avalanche captain Joe Sakic called the suspension "pretty harsh."

"We know Todd feels bad about it and the league did what they had to do," said Sakic, a Burnaby native. "The most important thing for us is that Steve is doing better."

The suspension also jeopardizes Bertuzzi's spot on Canada's World Cup team. The World Cup of hockey will be staged this fall, with training camps to begin in mid-August. Bertuzzi would require reinstatement to attend the camp but, with this incident staining his reputation, he may no longer be in Team Canada's plans.

"Right now, Todd Bertuzzi will stay on our list but there's certainly a question mark with him and there is a concern with the action that he took," said Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson.

Copyright 2004 Times Colonist (Victoria)
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

I think he should be tried in a court of law for assault. If hockey, football, basketball and others contact sport members contuine to do this stupid act and stll all he gets is his hand slapped by the league. Suspension for a year. Oh Wow!

I am sure that he needs to be up against a judge and take a jail sentence like any other good citizens could expect to get had this happened on the streets.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have played hockey my whole life and thought that was one of the cheapest shots that I have ever seen. To drill someone in the side of the head, from behind, when they are not looking or expecting it is cowardly and disgraceful. It would not be the first time that a player was arrested for his on ice actions. Marty McSorley was arrested for assault when he cracked that guy over the head with his stick. The same should happen here. The smart player was trying to skate away from the fight and avoid a penalty. Bertuzzi's anger was too much and he took a cheap shot. He broke a guys neck, possibly ending his career, now he should pay.

Forum Member

I played hockey for 12 years in my younger days, never walked away from a scrap (you can tell by looking at my nose!);what Bertuzzi did was absolutely inexcusable. Moore's hit on Naslund that supposedly caused the whole thing was a marginal cheap shot at best. Apparently both teams had been warned by the league to be on their good behavior prior to the game that was played before this one. The 'old' rules of fighting were two guys squared off, dropped the gloves, and had at it. Hitting from behind, much less cold cocking someone as he did, is so dirty and cheap that his suspension is minimal in comparison. Oh, and Marc Crawford? I guess we may never know what he was smirking about when the camera caught him.....but just on appearances, he and Brian Burke can go cry in someone elses beer about the big fine.

Bertuzzi can come back and play on the day that Moore is able to come back and play...fair enough big guy?

MembersZone Subscriber

Bertuzzi can come back and play on the day that Moore is able to come back and play
    I agree completely.

Forum Member

I too, used to play hockey when I was younger (and again a couple of years ago) and I don't believe in the "cheap shots" either. If you are gonna "dance" at least be a man and do it toe to toe. The worst cheap shot I ever took was in front of the net, an opposing player cross checked me at the base of my neck. It hurt like a mother, so I reacted by two handing the end of my stick and batting him upside the head with it; that was the ONE time I took a shot at someone. I got kicked out of the game for it and learned a lesson. I never used my stick again on another player in anger. Hockey is a rough, emotion packed sport. I've shoved other chicks onto their asses when they've gotten in my way, or held onto my stick and not let go, I'm the first one to go in a corner and get physical to get the puck, but never with the intent to hurt. I've played games where in the course of play I've inadvertantly sent someone off the ice under assistance *insert angelic face here), but it was NEVER intentional. There's a difference between playing aggressively and being a goon. Fights are going to happen in the sport, that's just the way it is....... it's always been that way, but, BOTH people involved should at least have an inkling as to what's coming. I remember the good ole days of Tiger Williams, Guy LaFluer, Marcel Dionne, Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr, Bobby Clarke, Ken Dryden ....... those were the days when hockey was hockey *sigh*

I miss playing, time to take the blades down and find a team
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

The NHL puts up with violence on the ice for ratings. It's a fact. If an NFL, NBA, or MLB player were to punch someone in the face, they would be immediately ejected, then suspended and fined by the league. But an NHL player can punch somebody multiple times and he just gets 5 minutes in a penalty box. Incidents like this one, and the one with McSorley happen because hockey players are allowed to fight each other.

Forum Member

we were discussing this in medic refresher today ..........I did not see the hit but heard it was not pretty ......anyone got a link to post it ? I liked how he didnt mean to hurt him but them HIT HIM IN THE NECK !!!!!!!!!!............oh ya thats not gonna hurt ~! stuff like that should get you fired/bannned or whatever ya all want to call it.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default Big fine?

I don't know... a Half Mill might not cover Moore's expenses for a lifetime, though I haven't heard any updates on his condition.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

That was a sucker punch, pure and simple. A cowardly act and no amount of tears and pleas will convince me otherwise. He is a loser and cannot talk his way around it with me or most any other sports fan. Throw him out!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Weruj1
    ......anyone got a link to post it ?
    CBC has a pretty thorough special report on it's website.

Bertuzzi Incident

There are some pictures of the incident in the gallery.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

i agree that he should be suspended until the injured player comes back. as for assault charges that should left up to if charges are pressed.

still it was a cheap shot that shouldn't occur in any sport except maybe boxing. if they can bite off ears then shots to the back of the head is okay?, right?
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ryan- I am not even sure boxing would put up with it. At least when you are in the ring you know you are going to get hit. This looked pretty blatent.
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

The views posted here are strickly my own and not of any of the groups I am affiliated with.

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Apparently Bertuzzi has a history. The Toronto Sun had an article Wednesday by Steve Simmons that said in 1991 after a MIDGET hockey tournament he chased the winning team's bus pounding on the windows and swearing, the next year in the OHL he was kicked out for 15 games for kicking a guy, the next year he beat up a teammate in the dressing room, in 1996 in the NHL he was suspended 3 games for punching a linesman and in 2001 he was again suspended 10 games for jumping the bench to fight an opponent.

I will admit that I like to watch a good hockey scrap, but this was a cowardly sucker punch.

Forum Member

I think what the NHL is missing here is Crawfords involvement. Before the incident Mike May said they had a bountie on Moore and I find it hard to believe Crawford didn't know. I am appalled that Crawford was not suspended as well. I also find it ironic that Brian Burke complains that the media has overblown this. Vancouver leads the league in calling press conferences whenever a Canuck player comes close to being hit. Burke and Crawford are the biggest whiners in the league.

As for criminal charges. I don't think the B.C. AG's department has any choice but to lay charges after they laid charges against McSorley. Not charging Bertuzzi simply sends the message that BC has 2 sets of rules, one for the visitors and one for the Canucks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

Bertuzzi knew what he was doing.
    I think he should be out of hockey. Period. No concessions. Moore had no choices in the matter. Bertuzzi had a variety of options available to him. And he made THE WRONG decision. I don't think a few tears and a sorry makes the grade. I bet Moore is sorry too. And HE is paying a far greater price than Bertuzzi.
    When I pay to see "quality" players, I expect to see hockey, not paid thugs. Grossly over-paid...but that is a whole separate thread...

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by manofire2
    As for criminal charges. I don't think the B.C. AG's department has any choice but to lay charges after they laid charges against McSorley. Not charging Bertuzzi simply sends the message that BC has 2 sets of rules, one for the visitors and one for the Canucks.
    I agree. I don't think they can avoid it now regardless of how much the league whines.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information