Forum Member

Exclamation It's all fun and games until................

someone takes their clothes off ..............
    Firefighter Resigns Over Strip Poker Game
    Medical Call Received During Game

POSTED: 5:21 p.m. CST March 11, 2004
    UPDATED: 5:48 p.m. CST March 11, 2004

Story by Click2Houston

MISSOURI CITY, Texas -- A Missouri City firefighter was fired and three others were disciplined after they played a game of strip poker while on duty at their fire station, News2Houston reported in an exclusive story Thursday.

Three male firefighters and one female paramedic participated in the game, which took place in January at Fire Station 4 in Sienna Plantation, officials said.

Missouri City's fire chief said he found out about the incident on a Friday and investigated all weekend.

"How could anybody be that stupid?" Fire Chief Mark Ewald said. "According to our investigation, it went down to where one person was covered only with a towel."

Ewald said the game was "totally unacceptable" and could have resulted in a dangerous situation.

"(If the alarm had sounded), it would have been a delayed response, because people would have had to get dressed before they could have responded," he said.

One emergency medical call was received during the poker game. The paramedic, who was wearing shorts and a T-shirt, rushed to put the rest of her clothes on to respond, according to authorities.

The chief said the paramedic was only delayed by seconds and the patient refused transport, so a life was not in danger.

Ewald asked firefighter Gus Lopez to resign. He said that Lopez was the acting supervisor at the time, and was the player dressed only in a towel. Ewald said Lopez also interfered with the investigation. Lopez could not be reached for comment.

Four other firefighters were disciplined, but specifics were not released.

The Fort Bend County EMS department is still conducting its investigation on the female paramedic's role. Officials will then determine if and what disciplinary measures to take.

Sienna Plantation residents were disturbed when they heard about the strip poker game.

"That shouldn't happen. If they want to play, go to somebody's house and play their games," a resident said.

"I have a problem with that because it (could) delay their reaction time," another resident said.

"It's not something you should be doing while you're at work," another resident said.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Ok, so the only difference between this and the way some people choose to sleep in firehouses is the card game? Did someone on shift take offense to this? I don't know about some people's thoughts, but private EMS and fire service folk have long been guilty of walking around the station in very little, especially overnight. If this was a ploy to get the paramedic out of her clothes, then I say the forced resignations/terminations were warranted. Otherwise, a closed-door session with the top brass & folks involved probably would have solved this adequately.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, I know this was a young lady involved so this situation might be a little different but be honest: Do most of us really want to see our comrades naked?

Forum Member

Three male firefighters and one female paramedic participated in the game
    it went down to where one person was covered only with a towel."
    The paramedic, who was wearing shorts and a T-shirt
    Sounds like a fun time but it should not have taken place at the station. Work is work and this kind of play needs to stay at home or maybe a Motel 6 room which everyone chipped in to pay for.
    I can't help thinking of a scene like in American Pie where 3 guys are standing there and the girl says, "Before I take my top off I want to see you guys kiss each other." And the acting supervisor, who was the one in the towel, is like Stiffler standing there saying "Hey, I'll kiss a guy to see those. Come on man, it's not like we're gay or nothing. Kiss me, dude."

Thread Information