Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Extreme Sports Anyone?

Just wondering if anyone else here participates in any kind of so called "extreme sports", or if you get enough adrenaline from the job?

Does Ultimate Frisbee count? I mean it has the word ultimate in it!!!
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

I was really thinking more along the lines of skydiving, base jumping, rock climbing, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

How about skydiving, whitewater rafting and kayaking, scuba diving, and mountain biking. Oh yeah and an occasional bungee jump as well. My insanity does however have limits, I wont even consider BASE jumping.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

I've white-water rafted twice, and I snowboarded a bit last year (but not this year ). Hanging off a vertical rock a long distance from the ground has positively no appeal to me. Neither does bungee jumping...I'm okay with so-called extreme sports so long as they are relatively safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

catrina if its safe its not extreme.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Frisbee can be dangerous...

When I was in high school; the first week of Jr. High we played frisbee football. A kid slammed into the goal post and had to be airlifted due to a facial fracture of some sort.

Three weeks later, we tried to recreate a safer version of frisbee football on the softball field w/ no solid objects in site. A girl dove for the disc, brought her knee up and suffered a very obvious compound fracture upon impact of the red-sand-clay-stone (whatever the red paths are made of) like field.

For the next six years; we did Taibo & Square Dancing...
    Last edited by historyjunkie; 03-14-2004 at 02:24 AM.

Ive rock climbed and white water rafted... i snowboard, but thats not all that extreem. i would LOVE to go skydiving, base jumping, bunjee jumping, and i would definately like to go rafting again.
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

MembersZone Subscriber truck6alpha's Avatar

Rock climbing, skiing, SCUBA, and off-road biking, although since there's no rocks here, no snow here, and the water visibility is poor at best, other than biking I have to go ELSEWHERE to do the things I love to do anymore. I did run a marathon though...
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

I can't say I'm interested in bungee jumping. I am out on BASE jumping as well. I have white water rafted a couple of times before. I started skydiving last October and have been jumping pretty regulary almost every weekend. It is absolutely the most fun and the biggest rush I have ever experienced. There are a few other guys at my department that are also regular jumpers and we try to get together every now and then to jump when our differing shifts permit.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

i rock climb and play paintball. after doing both for so long i don't reconsider them extreme anymore.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

I abseil and kayak.

Discovered caving a couple of years ago- loved it, just haven't had time to pursue it.

Did SCUBA for a while but then got the bends- can't do it anymore
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber Medic162's Avatar

Originally posted by truck6alpha
    Rock climbing, skiing, SCUBA, and off-road biking, although since there's no rocks here, no snow here, and the water visibility is poor at best, other than biking I have to go ELSEWHERE to do the things I love to do anymore. I did run a marathon though...
    Capt,
    Ya gotta tell me where the good bike trails are here in S.C. I moved here after mountain biking out in SoCal and I'm bored to tears!!!
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

I've bungee jumped on three occassions and due to my career dept being a vertical/high angle rescue agency, I hold qualifications for "abseiling".

Bungee Jumpin just outside of Cairns, Austrailia was fabulous, Scuba on the Reef was magnificent, white water rafting in BC was exquisite, and I would say the most extreme sport I have undertaken is trying to keep up with Austrailian F/F drinking during halloween 2002! I am still missing 4 hours of my life.

Cheers

A bunch of us get together and play full contact football with no pads every thanksgiving day. 15 full grown (and then some) men no pads and full contact. Extreme enough for ya?
    Never Forget 9-11-01!!!!!!
    There wasn't just 343, the other 73 rescue workers deserve to be remembered too!!!!

I want to try sky diving, bungee jumping and even base jumping they all seem really awesome.

i rock climb and play paintball. after doing both for so long i don't reconsider them extreme anymore.
    paintball is really fun, i love playing me and some of the guys play every 2 saturdays.

A bunch of us get together and play full contact football with no pads every thanksgiving day. 15 full grown (and then some) men no pads and full contact. Extreme enough for ya?
    Last year at our annual firehouse picnic we all played and it was stations against station all contact it was so fun. we were all sore for the next 3 days.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

When I'm feeling like some real extreme action, I love to get on these forums and start topics about Lights on POV's, or Paid versus Volunteer, or....
    Luke

Extreme sports, uhmm let me see, I fell off the couch last week when I dropped the TV controller.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

LMFAO! Did you hurt yourself?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information