Thread: Nh Lodd

Forum Member

Default Nh Lodd

This was touched on under the OFF DUTY topics but I will post this here as well.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=46&id=27513

This is the wake and funeral information is as below:

Calling Hours:
    Tuesday March 16, 2004
    Wilkinson Beane Funeral Home
    164 Pleasant St
    Laconia NH

1400 to 1600
    and
    1800 to 2100

Funeral:
    Wednesday March 17, 2004
    11:00 AM

Our Lady of the Lakes Church
    54 Fairmont Street
    Lakeport Village
    Laconia NH

Fire Department personnel are requested to assemble at the KMART Plaza on Rt. 11 (Lakeshore Rd) in Gilford NH at 0830 AM. Shuttle services will be provided.

DONATION INFO

Donations in memory of FF Mark Miller can be made to:
    Laconia Lifesaving Fund
    c/o Laconia Fire Department
    848 North Main Street
    Laconia NH 03246
    (This is the fund Mark created to fund the training and equipping of a water, ice and scuba rescue team.)

The Laconia Professional Firefighters Association (IAFF Local 1153) has established a fund to assist Mark's family. Donations to this fund can be made to the following:
    Miller Family Relief Fund
    c/o Laconia Savings Bank
    62 Pleasant Street
    Laconia NH 03246

Fraternally,
    Jay Ellingson FF/EMT
    Laconia Fire Department
    Local 1153
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Forum Member

Unhappy

Jay...

On behalf of the members of Marlborough Firefighters Local 1714, please pass our condolences on to the family of Lt. Miller and the Laconia FD.

Rest in peace, Brother.

Forum Member

Jay,
    Please pass the sincere condolences of the Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2 along to the family of Lt. Miller and the brothers of the Laconia FD.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Sr. Information Officer

Unhappy

Jay, I offer the heartfelt condolences of the NJ Forest Fire, Div. A, Section 2 firefighters. God bless!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

My heartfelt condolences go out to to the family of Lt. Miller and the Laconia FD.

Rest in Peace.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by StLRes2cue; 11-16-2005 at 11:13 PM.

Forum Member

Rest in Peace, Brother.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Forum Member

A little late coming but I needed to post this from my heart. This is not an official departmental release. It is from me to all of you as Jay Ellingson, Mark's friend.

About 1445 March 11, 2004 Mark went missing during a training dive. With in an hour hundreds of people came from fire, EMS and law enforcement agencies arrived from 3 states. Expert dive teams from those same agencies and numerous dive shops arrived to lend a hand. The community came out to give us coffee and snacks. As the darkness set in safety dictated the diving search cease and it was stopped for the night but we kept a vigil hoping against all odds that Mark would surface. It was a long, cold, painfully lonely night as Laconia, Belmont, and Franklin NH FD brothers lit up the docks, beach, and channel looking for any sign. Those members walked up and down the shore, the docks and the beach shining pitiful beams of light into the water looking for a reflection, a piece of equipment, anything. THe sun came up, Mark didn't. We went for a briefing where the previous days help arrived bolstered by so many people that I will never be able to name who just wanted to help bring Mark home. The governor was there. Senator Gregg was there. The Boston Fire Department sent not only a dive team, but experts and a huge dive rescue truck. I saw people from every department in the Mutual Aid pact and some from beyond. The citizens, Red Cross, Salvation army and others came to feed us. Marine Patrol, Fish and Game, NH Fire Academy, private business with underwater cameras, ice fisherman loaned ice augers, we needed it, someone got it for us. The press kept a respectful distance inside their designated area and respected our space and Mark's family. Almost 24 hours after Mark went missing he was found. Amazing how so much pain can accompany relief that our mission was complete. That walk off the dock to the hearse with Mark was the longest walk I have ever made. We prepared to sent Mark to his peaceful resting place with a beautiful ceremony of his life. We wondered who and how many would come to join us for Marks funeral march and ceremony as a snowstorm moved in the night before. We started marching from the funeral home through the city center. Thousands of citizens lined the streets, hats in hand to show respect for a veteran civil servant. Hundreds of school children from every school in the city lined the route with the mittened hands over their hearts, some crying as Firefighter Mark was a fixture in their schools. (You see,Mark taught thousands of school children to stay off the ice, to wear a life jacket when in a boat or on the docks, to be safe no matter what they were doing.) We marched around Messer Street and stopped at Bisson Ave to let the out of town marchers join the procession. We gasped, our jaws dropped, we were awed by the sight of over 1500 blue jackets that fell into ranks ahead of us. I was not surprised in hind sight that all those people came in the face of a bitter cold wind and a few inches of snow, terrible driving conditions to be with us in our time of need. Why? Because all week, when we needed you, you were there. You came from hundreds of miles away, you emailed, you PMed, you sent cards, you called my wife to let us know you were thinking of us. If I forgot to mention a person or agency in my post don't fret, your remembered in my heart. God bless you all. Thank you.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Thread Information