Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new officer

Forum Member

Talking new officer

Last week I was promoted to Lieutenant and assigned to a station where morale is at an all time low, I am looking for any advice on how to raise morale or any genaral advice.

The three F's, Firm Fair and Friendly. Enthusiasm and excitement for the task at hand is contagious. Once this is realized the way you do business, the crew will follow.

Forum Member

You should know well also that a good leader leads by example not by orders. Best Captain I work with, I know he will be the first one to support me, encourage me and disipline me.
    He is firm, fair, friendly and honest!
    Best Captain I know...

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Default Where to start...

There are so many places to start here. I will try to list
    a few.

-As already stated, lead by example.
    -Treat others as you ike to be treated.
    -Dont let the rank go to your head. (egos eat brains)
    -From the USMC- "Keep your troops informed."
    -Understand customer service both internal AND external.
    -BE FIRM, but treat people nice.

Lastly, since you have a morale problem, I have told
    my subordinates in the past- "Please speak up. You have
    a voice on my crew."

Listen to you people and their ideas vs. "My way or the
    highway!"

Also, check out some books from Brunocinni. (I am sure I
    spelled that wrong, sorry Alan.)
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 03-14-2004 at 05:39 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to agree with all the above post's. You need to find out why morale is low and see if you can do something. Taking an interest in your crew is a good start. Communication is a key factor here. You may not be able to fix all the problems but by at least looking at the problems and not blowing them off will be a good start.

Remember not to make promises you can not keep and be honest with your crew. Feedback to the crew let them know you looked at a problem and what can or cannot be done in a timely matter will help.

Good Luck!
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

The views posted here are strickly my own and not of any of the groups I am affiliated with.

IACOJ Member

I cant beleive about to do this by quoting an IFSTA manual but I would remember what the Comp Officer book says by focusing on demotivators. Most guys like being ff's they like showing up for work, but if you have demotivators (poor leadership, opressive officers, etc, etc) than your morale will sink. I would sit your people down and listen. Dont try to solve their problems for them, dont sit them down and tell them what you are going to do. Sit down with them and listen to them and let them come up with solutions. Then they will have a stake in the process.

Forum Member

With a crew like that you will be tested. This is not their first rodeo. It's not a day a the beach. The malcontents usually flock together. If you agree it's your job to able to handle anything that can be thrown at you when the tones drop and the doors open than you will want to begin with training to see how prepared your crew is. If something is not right, there are three reasons. They don't know, they need training or they don't care. No matter which of the three it is, you should be ready to step up and provide what's needed to respond.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information