Forum Member

Default Vote Hinckley !!!!!!

I know he doesnt post here much but I have just returned from seeing Jaybird210, and on SUPER TUESDAY they have a refernedum onthe ballot for a new station (of which I saw blueprints for). Lets wish the Hinckley Fire District good luck so they can consolidate units/stations.....
    Last edited by Weruj1; 03-15-2004 at 04:25 PM.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Jay's not alone. Sandoval and Kell FPDs also have referendums on the ballot tomorrow. Good luck to both of them. I'd vote for them if they'd let me.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

wow ..............someone does care..............good luck also to the two other FD's !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Default Got my fingers crossed

We got one "yes" vote for sure.....

MembersZone Subscriber
    finally getting ready to start the new station

No referendum here. Good luck to you guys. I am meetting with our Coundy Board chair today to discuss our trustee situation though.
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Default The polls have closed.

Jaybird:
    Any idea on how it went?
    Exit polls?
    Anything?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Default SUCESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sopke to him last night during dril.........."unoffical" results ..420 something I believe "YES" and 275 "NO"..........so it appears to have passed .........let the building begin !

for the offical tabulation click below:
    http://www.dekalbcounty.org/Election....html#HINCKLEY
    Last edited by Weruj1; 03-17-2004 at 02:03 AM.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

Default And the motion carries.....

Final tabulation per DeKalb Co:

YES= 435
    NO= 313

While the Kane County portion of our district hasn't been counted yet, there are less than 70 registered voters in that section.

Where'd I put that shovel?

MembersZone Subscriber

Congratulations, Jaybird. You think you were busy before, wait until construction begins! See you at the Grand Opening!
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Allright Jay. Congrads

Forum Member

Default Congratulations Jay

Good work Jay
    keep us posted on the project.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

Forum Member

Congrats Jay and Hinkley!!!

We are pretty pleased in Sandoval today too! Our bond for a new pumper passed 281 yes to 113 no in Marion County and 58 yes to 11 no in Clinton County.

Kell's bond also passed 116 yes to 89 no in Marion County (not sure about the Jefferson County totals). Lonnie is surely ecstatic today as well.

Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

We know Jay's got lots of money now, so how did Sandoval and Kell do? I haven't been able to find any returns from Marion County yet.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

IT SHALL BE A MONUMENT FOR ALL THE AGES. IT WILL EXTEND TOWARDS THE HEAVENS. IT WILL BE HINCKLEY'S TAJ MAHAL!
    Congratulations Jay. Just think; real showers!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Congratulations to Sandoval and Kell FPDs also. I know how much work it is to get any kind of tax increase passed. We barely got it done a couple of years ago. After seeing how many school issues went down this time, it looks like the citizens still appreciate us, even a couple years after 9/11. We must be doing something right.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Now that this part is over, I want to post an article that the DeKalb Chronicle posted to its website regarding local referenda.

The Sandwich Fire District tried for the EIGHTH time to pass this referendum for an ambulance district. There were signs posted, painted on 4'x4' sheets of plywood saying "Vote 'NO' on Sandwich Fire Dist." I make no comment, except to say that a little public relations goes a long way. I would like to hear what everybody else thinks of the article and comments....:

Chronicle
    ---------------------------
    Voters pass Hinckley fire referendum, say no to Sandwich, Lee
    By Todd Krysiak - Contributing Writer

Three area fire departments were hoping to increase their services or improve their facilities through referendums Tuesday, and while Hinckley is celebrating a win, both Lee and Sandwich are left considering another attempt in November.

Hinckley fire officials are preparing to break ground on a new state-of-the-art fire station approved by a 435-to-313 vote Tuesday. The fire protection district's levy will increase from 2.4 percent to 60.3 percent.

Village President and fire department Captain Joseph Diedrich said he was pleased with the voter turnout as well as with the outcome. The department already has purchased the land for the new building, and is waiting for the land to be annexed by the village.

"The fire department put in a lot of work going door to door, holding a town hall meeting, and just putting out a lot of information," Diedrich said. "There was a whole lot of help for a volunteer fire department."

Diedrich said he was surprised at the high turnout for a primary election.

"Usually, because it is a partisan thing, you'll see fewer voters come out than during a general election, but people came out this time around, and we're happy with the result."

That's more than Sandwich Fire District officials can say. The district had hoped to levy a special tax to hire full-time paramedics to man the station, but the referendum failed 1,532 to 829. Sandwich Fire Chief Richard Kell said he isn't sure where the department will head from here.

"People keep thinking, 'It'll be there tomorrow,' but tomorrow's here and ambulance service, especially at night, may not be," Kell said.

The district serves portions of DeKalb, Kendall and LaSalle counties. The department claimed during its campaign that part-time paramedics were overworked and overlooked.

Kell said that part-time paramedics often have conflicts due to their other jobs.

"If these volunteers choose to leave because of the conditions, there's nothing we can do to replace them," Kell said. "There are no volunteers for full-time work - that's why we wanted to create a regular full-time position."

Kell also said the lack of a full-time ambulance unit places pressure on other departments that have to pick up the slack, which hurts response times for services.

Voters are likely to see a similar referendum in the general elections in November.

"Sooner or later, if the people in this community want proper ambulance service, this is going to have to pass," Kell said.

Ambulance service was the focus of another failed referendum - that of the Lee Fire District. Lee Fire Chief Don Jarman said his department has received ambulance service from the Shabbona Fire Department for more than 30 years. Jarman had hoped to establish a contract with the Shabbona Fire Department to help bring down service costs for ambulance users from Lee.

The referendum for a special tax levy failed 116 to 76, but Jarman vowed to bring back the proposal in November. The Lee Fire Protection District covers portions of Lee and DeKalb counties.

-----------------
    Two more thoughts regarding the Chronicle. They try but can't get many people in the southern part of this county to subscribe. Why? Well, editting has a lot to do with it. Two small examples that jump out at me: the plural of "referendum" is "referenda." Now, I only know that cause I've been working on this. But, if I were a newspaper editor, I would expect to know that. Also, using inflammatory language like "The fire protection district's levy will increase from 2.4 percent to 60.3 percent," while accurate, doesn't really do the thing justice. I guess I'll keep to the Aurora paper. They had a super article that came out before the election, and didn't misquote or put words in my mouth. Can't say the same for the Chronicle. Compare these stories at your leisure, and tell me which one you thought had better writing and editting....

Aurora Beacon Pre-election Story

Chroncile Pre-election story
    Last edited by jaybird210; 03-18-2004 at 10:27 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

A few words of thought while I must be in my spare time. I see what Jay means about the editing. The Freeport Journal-Standard goes to press with it's share of mistakes and poor editing. Any article that relates to a tax increase is normally shead in a less than positive light. It's looking like Pearl City FPD will try it's hand in the referendum game this fall or April of 05 to fund a new station. Ours was built in 1950 to house 3 trucks. We have a tanker butted up against a wall, and sometimes almost through that wall, with guys tripping over each other trying to get gear on and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
    BTW, Congrads to Sandoval and Kell too.

Forum Member

Default 210 ........

if you ask me it sounds like The Chronicle has poor docrum!
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Jay, congrats on the referendum. Did you figure in the practice tee in the plans?
    Guinness....a meal in a can!
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation I feel like Josh today!

What the voters choice has wrought....:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Jay, just curious, what has the voters reaction been now that they see the finished produce? Fire station or taj mahal? Too much or how did we make it before?

One more to 8,000
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Default Re: I feel like Josh today!

Originally posted by jaybird210
    What the voters choice has wrought....:
    Show Off!!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Jack, the comments I've heard have all been in the range of "It's about time." "You've had this coming." It's kinda nice. We've been working hard at producing a professional fire department, and I think that work is paying off. The only complaints I've heard (second hand, of course; nobody ever has the guts to tell you to your face what they're thinking) have been little ones like, why so far out of town? (because there wasn't 3.5 acres available IN town for less than $1,000,000); why all the brick? (because we want it to look nice and last for 75 years). Grumbling like that.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking What The ??...........................

HEY!! Are you trying to depose me as king of the Showplace Fire Stations?? Congratulations Jay. Good Job. What is the Vehicle that is visable in one of the Bays?
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sandoval Update.....

The bond referendum that was passed in Sandoval led to the purchase of a new engine. It just went into service last week. I got to see it at the annual Sandoval Firemen's Picnic over the weekend, and it looks really good. It also made its first response on Thursday night, a house fire. If Chad ever gets on here again, maybe he'll post a pic.

Thread Information