MembersZone Subscriber

Default class at Reynoldsburg

Hi guys, I'm new to the firehouse website and this forum, but it seems like a great place for information on jobs, and occupation in the fire service field. I'm leaving active duty in the coast guard at the end of this month and I enrolled in the fire fighter 1 and 2 class at the Reynoldsburg academy starting April 5th and I was just wondering if anyone else here went to that school, and what they thought of it? Thanks Jeremy

MembersZone Subscriber

Jeremy,

Are you referring to the State Fire School??? And what department is sponsoring you??? I have been thier(OSFA)it was greaat...I learned alot and had asome fun too.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

yes, It's the state fire school, and im not sponsored by a full time department. Im going to the school on my own to help me in getting hired at a full time department. Im just going there to give myself a curve in the job application process. Im also considering going to the EMT basic class there too after the Firefighter 1 and 2 class.

Forum Member

Welcome to Firehouse, Jeremy. Glad to have ya here. My utmost respect & admiration for serving our country (I tried but history of asthma blackballed me). Do you have hopes of where to work eventually? Have you done time with volunteer or call departments before now? If not, it might be a good place to get started, using some of the class skills & learning some OJT stuff. Besides, it's always nice to have an interview with the idea that you've "seen" a fire truck or been in real fire! Best of luck, and be sure to join in all the fun here.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

Jeremy,

You know that you have to have a complete set of bunker gear that conform to the OFA standards plus a SCBA and spare bottle. Plus I would think that is you are not sponsored that you could be bumped by a sponsored person. I have no idea but that is just my thoughts. But have a great time...I loved it down their. Just be ready for early days and late nights.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

yeh, when I first applied I dident have a department to sponsor me but I called my local vol. fire department and they said they would take me so Ill have all the necisary gear. I was A vol. in north carolina but it was a really small station and I dident get much from it becouse I was always deployed but I helped out as much as I could. I'm doing this to help out in finding a full time job in the fire service hopefully in north west ohio but we'll see. But im looking forward to going the the academy. and one other thing to all you forum guys, how do you get a pic next to your post?

Forum Member

how do you get a pic next to your post?
    That's called an avatar. Go into your profile, and click "edit options", and down near the bottom you'll see where you can add your avatar.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by JeremyUSCG80
    I'm doing this to help out in finding a full time job in the fire service hopefully in north west ohio but we'll see.
    If you have your EMT-B certification, the City of Napoleon in Henry County is testing soon.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Default Napleon Fire

Too bad you don't have your EMT-B yet. As Moe said, Napoleon is testing soon. The test is May 15th. I believe you would get military points also. Their agility test dosen't look that difficult either.

Here's a link to their website, with all the info, you can even download the application.

http://www.napoleonohio.cc/fire.html
    Last edited by NFD159; 03-20-2004 at 08:41 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Too bad they have a residency requirement
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Yep...... Residency screws people again.........

MembersZone Subscriber

Amen brother!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I've taken 2/3rds of all the classes they offer down there. Owens Community College gives you FREE credits for most classes down there. You may want to look at MCTO, Basic Rope, Basic trench, and a few of the rescue classes..farm, commercial. Gives you that extra edge. Stay away from the sprinkler classes. Big waste of time.
    If you are looking at this to retire, and you have the time, your vol dept may be RCFA funded. That will cut your cost to about $0. Take the CO 1,2 & 3 as well as basic & advanced investigation.
    Now, that's just the OFA. To go anywhere, you are 90% required to have a medic card also. That my friend, is a pain in the saddle.

Thread Information