Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help the rookie

Question help the rookie

I am looking for information on how to operate an engine.
    so far I can't find any thing on the net to help me .
    do any of you know where there is a site or something I can go to so I can learn operation .
    Thank you

"Teach me how to operate a fire engine" seems like a very broad request. If you're the rookie, I would suggest asking one of the more experienced engineers on your department to spend some time with you. I'm sure someone here is willing to explain some of the principles of pump operation... but actual ops vary from department to department. You'd be better off learning how your department does things while learning how to run the engine.

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

try a local college that has fire tech programs, or regional/state fire schools alot of them have pump ops. and if you like books then check out IFSTA or try Delmar Publishing, Intro to Pump Operations when i took my Fire Apparatus class in college we used this book. i had 54 hours of pump operations, and friction loss calculations. is you want some practice problems i could send you a copy of these work sheets.

Default Hmm...

I am just curious if youre a rookie, are you required
    to already operate and engine or just looking for
    knowledge.

Here is a great website for almost any fire service
    book-

www.firebooks.com

i am more or less just looking for knolage

Default Re: help the rookie

I am looking for information on how to operate an engine.so far I can't find any thing on the net to help me .do any of you know where there is a site or something I can go to so I can learn operation .
    DarkCAt are you some sort of terrorist? Why can't you ask your senior members? There are many different engines out there. Can you be more specific.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

DarkCAt are you some sort of terrorist?
    Some may look at this comment as a wise *** question. It isn't!

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35 and E229Lt

DarkCAt are you some sort of terrorist? Why can't you ask your senior members? There are many different engines out there. Can you be more specific.

Some may look at this comment as a wise *** question. It isn't!
    I tend to agree with my Brothers from the FDNY.

Points to ponder..

1. One does not just look up info on the internet to learn how to operate a fire engine.

2. Any "rookie" should know that learning how to operate an engine takes a back seat to learning the essentials of firefighting... you have to learn how to crawl before running the career marathon. Pump operations is part of recruit training, but all in due time....

3. A profile totally devoid of information...yeah, I too have my suspicions....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Default HMMMMM

I agree with those that are suspicious.

Nobody that is in the fire service should have to get info on this or any other firefighting related subject on a web site.

Dude, talk to your fellow brothers at YOUR fire house to get your questions answered. Even if they won't teach you (which they should if your legit)they should at least tell you what IFSTA manual you can find it in.

fellas, this is kinda weird .........I know when I first got on I learned myself after asking a couple of questions, enough to at least get water started...........also as others have said YOUR ops probably are different than other depts........terrorists ......could be rabbit.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Some may look at this comment as a wise *** question.
    Not on these forums!

Seriously, though; operating a fire engine properly requires a lot of hands-on training, as well as classroom time. If you think you are going to learn enough from books or the internet to show somebody up on the drill field or on a scene, you're probably just going to embarrass yourself.

Originally posted by DarkCAt
    i am more or less just looking for knolage

You probably haven't on the job long enough to have the need to know!

Learn all the basics first and then after you have that down pat, then you start to learn about operating a piece of apparatus!!!

I tend to agree with my other brothers about this. I think I smell a pot of over cooked cabbage.

MembersZone Subscriber

Learn the tools of trade, then work your way from the nozzle back to the truck. This should take sometime, even for the quick learner. Don't rush into things. Every noob wants to drive the truck, well theres more to it then driving and pulling handles.

When you reach the stage in which you department feels its time for you to start learning about pump ops, take your time and learn all there is. Listen to the vets and read your books. There's alot the book dosent show, that you can learn from a brother thats been around for awhile.

ok hear you go i am a volintear firefighter i ahve ben on a department for 8 months and am now going through level 1 traning

i am looking for more of the theory behind how every thing comes together like friction lose what my optimal galanage at nozzle thingsa like that.
    I know I havenít been in the game long enough to be operating a pump but being on a volunteer department where a meeting consists of sitting around a table and talking about every thing but firefighting.
    I look at theories of firefighting operations so that when I do get hands on experience I am not completely in the dark.

as a farther note I will be updating my profile
    and looking back at my question i do admit it is probluy odd to see it worded as it is

ok hear you go i am a volintear firefighter i ahve ben on a department for 8 months and am now going through level 1 traning

i am looking for more of the theory behind how every thing comes together like friction lose what my optimal galanage at nozzle thingsa like that.
    I know I havenít been in the game long enough to be operating a pump but being on a volunteer department where a meeting consists of sitting around a table and talking about every thing but firefighting.
    I look at theories of firefighting operations so that when I do get hands on experience I am not completely in the dark.

as a farther note I will be updating my profile
    and looking back at my question i do admit it is probluy odd to see it worded as it is
    Iím not one to correct spelling and grammar, but your posts show poor use of both. Along with your inquiry these items raise the red flags.
    I found it interesting how you mangled the word [volintear] only to write it correctly later on. Are we getting jerked around here?
    Last edited by E229Lt; 03-15-2004 at 01:26 PM.

Thats what happens when you let microsoft do your spelling!

Something weird going on here??

Exclamation

Yeah, it sure is. I smell something that should have been flushed!!!!

Sonny, THIS ISN'T A GAME THAT WE DO! It is a profession.

Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 03-15-2004 at 02:18 PM.

all i ask is a simple question and you all want to cut my throught

hope you dont treet all people like this

i gues you half to be on a paied department to be a jurk

note i am not saying that all of you are jurks. some of you have ben vary helpfull

and i am no longer in need of help i found a tape for oure pump back in a box at the station it is a waterous pump

thanks to those who helped

and this is to those who were jurks _ _!_ _

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

No ones trying to be a jerk here, but to come on a public forum and ask how to operate a firetruck? I dunno if you have been watching the news lately but that is considered suspicious behavior. You dont say where or what department your from, I'm sure if you asked the question better and provided more information than someone would of provided you with good information as they due to alot of people on these forums who ask good questions.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Thread Information