+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default $1.77 a gallon!!!! I could only WISH for $1.77 a gallon

The Associated Press
    Care of www.msnbc.com

CAMARILLO, Calif. - Prices for all grades of gasoline rose 1.34 cents in the last two weeks to a record high nationwide average of $1.77 a gallon, according to a study released Sunday.

Gas prices have jumped by nearly 26 cents so far this year, and while they won't be falling by that amount any time soon, they aren't expected to rise much higher, according to the Lundberg survey of 8,000 stations nationwide. The survey was conducted Friday.

The previous combined average record high was $1.76 in May 2001.
    Analyst Trilby Lundberg said the latest spike reflects the rise in crude oil prices and an increase in refinery work to prepare for greater spring and summer gasoline demand.

OPEC declared earlier this year that it would reduce official oil production by April 1 and crack down on those countries exceeding the level. "Where crude oil prices go next whether they push or pull on gas prices is OPEC's guess," she said. Lundberg said work at the refineries is nearly complete.

"The pace of the pump price hike has slowed and prices are dropping on a spotty basis around the country," she said.

-----------------------------------------------------

There is always a chance that I have carried a zero the wrong the way, so if anyone wants to double check my math, please do so.

If:
    1 American Gallon = 3.785 Canadian Litres
    1 American Dollar = 1.332 Canadian Dollars
    (http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html)
    Our current gas price is 84.9 centres per litre

Then:
    84.9 cents per litre = 3.213 Canadian Dollars per American Gallon
    3.213 Canadian Dollars = 4.279 American Dollars

Current Gas Price = 4.30 per gallon (OUCH)

How is the gas in everyone else's corner of the world?
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Forum Member

Default Re: $1.77 a gallon!!!! I could only WISH for $1.77 a gallon

Originally posted by firefighter26
    There is always a chance that I have carried a zero the wrong the way, so if anyone wants to double check my math, please do so.

If:
    1 American Gallon = 3.785 Canadian Litres
    1 American Dollar = 1.332 Canadian Dollars
    (http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html)
    Our current gas price is 84.9 centres per litre

Then:
    84.9 cents per litre = 3.213 Canadian Dollars per American Gallon
    3.213 Canadian Dollars = 4.279 American Dollars

Current Gas Price = 4.30 per gallon (OUCH)

How is the gas in everyone else's corner of the world?
    I think you reversed numbers somewhere, I re-calculated the conversions and got the following:

@$.849CAN / Liter with $1US/$1.332CAN that works out to be $.637US/L

@ $.637US/L and 3.785L/1Gallon I get $2.41/Gal.

That is still pretty steep! I pay about 1.65/gallon here. But that is because I live near a reservation, the gas prices off res are about 1.80/gallon. I can see it going to 2.00 by Summer.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

we are around the 1.50-1.60 per gallon range
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Got gas today. 87 grade was $1.53. Others were $1.56 and $1.61.

Warm weather is coming so the price of fuel goes up. It happens every year. Not much need for #2 fuel oil now that the weather is warmer. The suppliers are delivering like they did in December or January. In the mid winter gasoline is cheaper here. Not too many people going on long distance trips in the hard cold weather.

Cutting back on driving and not buying gas doesn't help. Some one will buy it, even if you stay at home and don't drive the car.

Forum Member

We're over $2/gal here in the L.A. area. I think I paid $2.23 on Friday.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: $1.77 a gallon!!!! I could only WISH for $1.77 a gallon

Originally posted by Lewiston2Capt
    I think you reversed numbers somewhere
    Yeah, I must have bumped a decimal place somewhere... that will teach me for doing math while being ticked off at the price of gas!!

Originally posted by Lewiston2Capt
    That is still pretty steep!
    Rumour has it that the price is going to go up. I read someone over the weekend that a jump to $0.90 a litre wouldn't be unexpected.. Which is about $2.55 per gallon if I have done the math right (but my average on that hasn't been to good today).

Forum Member

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer
    Warm weather is coming so the price of fuel goes up.
    My favourite trick is when the price for gas gets bumped up by some insane amount and everyone complains, then it gets dropped back a little and everyone thinks they are getting a deal.

Like when the price JUST before the May long weekend climbs from 84.9 to 92.9... then it gets back off a little to 89.9 and everyone thinks they are getting a deal compared to the 92.9!! (little to they realize that it is still 5 cents a litre more expensive then it was when they started)

Forum Member

OK in Australia, unleaded gas sells for about A$0.90 a litre.
    Multiply that by 3.785 and that is A$3.40 per US gallon.
    As $A1 is worth about 75 cents US, A$3.40 is worth about US$2.55, so we are paying more than the US average, and are about on par with Canada.

Forum Member

I gassed up my car today at an Albertsons Grocery store gas station in South Baton Rouge for $1.59 a gallon. That's about as cheap as you will find around here.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Angry Here Too.....................

We vary from $1.57 (Where I get gas) to $1.82 over a 8 mile stretch on one road. It's STUPID! And the sad part is people still buy the $1.82 stuff. We have an election this year, and I plan to be stirring the pot at candidates forums, questioning the candidates on what they would do to FORCE prices down. You want my vote, I DEMAND cheap gas. Period. End of Story.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Why?

Originally posted by pumper41
    OK in Australia, unleaded gas sells for about A$0.90 a litre.
    Multiply that by 3.785 and that is A$3.40 per US gallon.
    As $A1 is worth about 75 cents US, A$3.40 is worth about US$2.55, so we are paying more than the US average, and are about on par with Canada.
    WHY?????????????????????
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

The cheapest price in my area is $1.71.

Forum Member

All of this while the major petroleum companies are reporting extremely high, if not record, profits. Yeah, who says there is no price gouging fgoing on at the corporate level.

We pay about $1.63 or so for a gallon. Of course f you go to Mobil or Shell, you get to pay an extra 7 to 10 cents per gallon, therefore me being a cheapskate, I do not go to Shell or Mobil.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

/SARCASM ON/ Yep, it's a good thing we went to Iraq and stole all of their oil so we could have cheap gas prices. /SARCASM OFF/

The oil industry is market-driven. And when your demand exceeds your supply, prices rise. Simple as that. You want to see high gas prices, go to Europe - prices average two to three times what we pay in the US.

Of course, all of the leftists complaining that "Bush isn't doing anything about rising gas prices! Women and children will starve!!!" were the first ones to cry when the President suggested enhancing our energy independence by drilling in ANWR.

This too, my friends, shall pass. We've been through the Clinton recession, the dot-com bust, the corporate accounting scandals, and last but certainly not least 9/11. For the economy to have grown at its fastest rate in 20 years last quarter, there must be a lot of things right with the Bush economic policy. In fact, things would get even better if the Administration could convince Congress to make the tax cuts permanent and add to them.

We have such short memories, and we don't seem to learn from the past.
    "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default As prices go up, so do the number of reported gas thefts

When gas thieves strike Salim Gillani's Chevron station, all they leave behind is a leaky pump. "It's like they're driving the pace car at a NASCAR race," said Gillani, whose station is near one of Atlanta's interstate highways. "Catching them, that's the hard part."
    With record-high gas prices, more people are speeding away from the pump without paying for fill-ups that can cost as much as $40 a tank.
    Gas retailers are reporting theft increases of 200 percent to 300 percent over the last couple months, said Jeff Lenard, spokesman for the National Association of Convenience Stores. On average, stations lost $919 per year from thefts in 2002, down from $2,253 per store in 2000 and $1,032 in 2001.
    "Gas is getting to be a fairly large expense. People who are struggling to make ends meet are more likely to drive off," said Jason Toews, co-founder of Gasbuddy.com, which tracks gas prices nationwide.
    The average national retail price of gasoline stood at a record $1.76 per gallon Friday. The U.S. Department of Energy predicts prices could reach $1.83 this spring.

SHOP AROUND
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 03-27-2004 at 08:52 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Thumbs up Beat high gas prices ....

Don't buy what you don't need.
    Premium, high-octane fuels aren't necessarily better for your car just because they're premium, high-octane fuel. Such fuels don't provide any greater fuel efficiency. In fact, many cars are designed to use regular low-octane fuel. Check your owner's manual to see what your car requires and stick with that.

Smooth and steady.
    Plan a route that lets you travel at constant speed and bypass congested areas. Use your gas and brake pedals gingerly. Slamming on the gas or the brake lacks a certain grace, but more than that, hard acceleration and quick stops waste fuel. When you see brake lights coming on up ahead, ease off the gas right away and depress the brake pedal gently to come to a slow, steady stop.

If your car has cruise control, learn to use it.
    By keeping your car at a steady speed, cruise control helps save gas. It can save you a lot of money in speeding tickets by preventing the pernicious "speed creep" that can happen during long, boring highway drives. That's the tendency to unconsciously increase your speed, bit by bit, the longer you drive.

Speed and your gas tank will bleed.
    The faster you drive, the more fuel your car consumers per mile. If you drive at 70 miles per hour instead of 55 mph, you'll lose 17 percent of your car's fuel economy, Jim Kliesch, a research associate at the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy. Driving 65 miles per hour isn't much better either. You'll lose nearly 10 percent in fuel economy.

Be cool about keeping cool.
    If you really must park in the sun, don't jack up the air conditioner as soon as you get back in the car. Drive for a bit with the windows down to let out the excess heat first. Once you're at highway speeds, though, driving with your windows down actually consumes more fuel than using the A/C because it creates so much aerodynamic drag.

Lose the junk in your trunk.
    For every 100 pounds of excess weight in your trunk, your car loses 1 percent of fuel economy, Kliesch said. So pack light. And clean out the any extra "baggage" that may be riding around in your car simply because you haven't gotten around to taking it out yet.

Pamper your four-wheeled pet.
    Keeping your tires inflated is a quick way to insure you get the best gas mileage. For every 3 pounds your tires are below their recommended pressure, your fuel economy drops 1 percent, Kliesch said. And the harder your car has to work, the more visits you'll make to the gas station. That's why it's always smart to have your car's oil, transmission and spark plugs checked before a road trip.

Pamper yourself.
    If you're taking a vacation road trip, consider a destination that doesn't require that you drive everywhere once you've arrived, William suggested. Pedestrian-friendly locations are worth considering, as are cities with good public transit options. Otherwise, you'll spend more money on gas, a lot of energy in traffic, and less time getting the rest you need.

ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

Good Tips!

But remember, the biggest factor in the high price of gas is the taxes. That is why the Canadian and Austrailian rates are so high, we have so many more miles of road to maintain per driver on them.

Bitch to the politicians just as much as the oil companies.

Personally, I could care less about the price of gas fluctuating 5 or 10 cents a litre. At my consumption of about a $50 tank per week, I'm only going to pay roughly another $200 or so a year for that increase. That is hardly worth the time I could spend to bitch about it.

How many of us **** away $2+ per day ($750/year) just on our coffee or bottled water habit?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

I am not a big tree hugger or anything but, since I have no comprehension of why everyone in teh world needs to have a sport unility, I wonder if the high prices will affect sales and the number of trade ins to the car dealerships.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...176401,00.html

The perfect storm that's about to hit
    Rising oil prices and a weak dollar could shatter the global economy

Jeremy Rifkin
    Wednesday March 24, 2004
    The Guardian

The average nationwide price of a gallon of gasoline in America reached a record high of $1.77 this month. The steady spike in prices has left analysts wondering if this is a harbinger of even more dramatic increases as motorists head into the spring and summer months. Get ready for what might become the economy's version of the perfect storm later this summer. The devastation could quickly spread to the UK and the rest of the world, with dire consequences for the global economy.
    The first hint of what might be in store came last month when Opec announced its decision to withdraw 1m barrels of crude oil a day from the market. Opec is worried about the weakening value of the dollar: it has lost one-third of its value in just under two years. Since Opec sells oil for dollars, the oil-producing countries are losing precious revenue as the value of the dollar continues to erode. And because oil-producing countries then turn around and purchase much of their goods and services from the EU and must pay in euros, their purchasing power continues to deteriorate. (The euro is currently valued at $1.23.)

How will the weaker dollar affect oil prices? Philip K Verleger, the dean of US oil market analysts and a visiting fellow at the Institute for International Economics, suggests that "oil-exporting countries may decide to adjust their price band to reflect the falling value of the dollar". If the dollar continues to slide, he warns, we could see oil prices rising from the current $38.18 a barrel to a record high of $40 by midsummer.

There are other dark clouds on the horizon. US crude oil inventories are at the lowest point since the mid 70s, and the retail gasoline market is operating with little reserve margin as we move into the summer months, where more travel will increase demand. The dwindling oil reserves are made worse by the White House decision to replenish the strategic petroleum reserve, further reducing the amount of gasoline available.

Verleger says gasoline could climb as high as $3.50 a gallon before levelling off at $2 by the autumn. How high prices eventually soar could depend on still other factors, including potential oil disruptions in Venezuela and the Middle East. There is also the prospect that one or two major refineries might fail during peak demand this summer - not that unusual when increased consumer pressure forces refineries to produce at peak capacity without taking the time for proper maintenance.

Here is where events potentially begin to feed off each other, creating the conditions for the perfect storm for the economy. If the price of oil increases to $40 a barrel with an accompanying rise in gasoline prices, the already weak economic recovery could stall.

How then do we lower the price of a barrel of oil? We'd have to strengthen the value of the dollar so that Opec would not be forced to raise prices to compensate for the deteriorating value of the currency. But the dollar's value is declining because of America's growing debt. The IMF is so concerned about US debt - the result of rising budget deficits and trade imbalance - that it issued a report warning that if steps weren't taken to reverse the trend, it could threaten the financial stability of the world economy.

An ever-weaker dollar makes foreign investors less interested in financing the mushrooming US debt. The US could raise interest rates, making it more attractive for foreign investors, but that would mean higher interest rates for US companies and consumers, which could dampen the already weak recovery and send us back into a recession in the US and around the world.

So we have all the conditions coming together to create the perfect economic storm: record oil prices triggering a restriction in US economic growth and an increase in the federal budget deficit, accompanied by further erosion in the value of the dollar - with increased budget deficits and the diminished value of the dollar leading in turn to higher interest rates to convince foreign investors to lend the US additional money, followed by a further retraction of the US economy as rising interest rates lead to a drop in domestic investment and consumption. The cascade of events touches off a tsunami that engulfs the rest of the global economy, submerging the world in deep recession.

As long as the US and global economy are increasingly dependent on an ever-dwindling supply of oil from the Middle East, the conditions for a perfect economic storm will continue to haunt us. The solution, in the long run, is to wean the world off its dependency on oil. That would require much tougher fuel efficiency standards, greater energy conservation measures, support of hybrid vehicles and a switch to renewable sources of energy. Short of that, expect the storm clouds to gather in intensity.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well that story seems somewhat "Chicken Little-ish" to me since the US still has some of the cheapest gas in the world, but I do agree that the US' economic recovery seems fragile. I guess it is possible for something like that to happen, but I just don't see gas alone as being the final straw.

I don't know enough to comment on the trade gap, but the war on terror and homeland security are clearly a massive drain on the economy. That kind of spending will have to be curbed soon or they will find themselves in a pretty deep hole.

This is not quite a fair comparison, but Russia spent themselves to death too.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Job Security

When the oil prices are high, I can proudly say that me, and all of my family and friends are working, which is something that keeps me warm at night. As with any other product, if you don't like the price, don't buy it. If you really need it, you are going to fork over the dough, regardless. Nobody gripes about the high cost of building a house, or the high cost of vehicles these days, so why the fuel. I just don't think $1.77 is too much to pay for job security. In the area I live in, had it not been for the oilfields, this town would wither up and die, like so many others in the area in the past 100 years. That is not something I would like to go through in my lifetime. So for now, I am going to support OPEC's cutbacks, and push for more.

Early Adopter

Default Re: Job Security

Originally posted by firedawg803
    Nobody gripes about the high cost of building a house, or the high cost of vehicles these days, so why the fuel. I just don't think $1.77 is too much to pay for job security.
    I don't know about where you live, but plenty of people in my world complain about the cost of vehicles, homes and the price of gas. Gas is $1.71 across the street from my apartment and that's entirely too much. You're right. I'll pay it. But that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

Originally posted by DaSharkie
    I am not a big tree hugger or anything but, since I have no comprehension of why everyone in teh world needs to have a sport unility, I wonder if the high prices will affect sales and the number of trade ins to the car dealerships.
    I've noticed an increase in rebates for large trucks & SUVs among local dealerships. I would think that such would be related to the high price of gas. They've got to do something for folks to buy a Monster Tank that gets 9 miles to the gallon at $1.71/gallon.

Forum Member

bump
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I started reading this and was like were are people getting gas for 1.77 a gallon. I know here in KY that just a few weeks ago the average for gas around $1.86. But int he past week it has jumped to about $2.10 average. But really I don't spend anymore or less every three days for gas. It normally runs about $33-38 a fill up. I drive an Explorer Sport Trac so it seems ok here. I would say though for some it is better to fill the tank then to fill only 10 or 15 dollars at a time. But if all else fails I will take over the wifes focus and get the 30-40 miles a gallon.
    Thanks
    DM

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

Thread Information