MembersZone Subscriber

Default Door-to-door checkups????? Unbelievable!

This story is on WKYC.com. Thought you all might be interested-

Cleveland checking up on firefighters who call in sick on St. Patrick's Day
    Reported by Kristin Anderson
    POSTED: Monday, March 15, 2004 5:03:02 PM
    UPDATED: Monday, March 15, 2004 7:20:28 PM

CLEVELAND -- The city of Cleveland says they're tired of firefighters calling in sick on St. Patrick's Day.

This year, the city plans to send out battalion chiefs to make sure firefighters who call in sick are resting up at home.

According to city numbers, during the past four years an average of 14 firefighters called in sick on St. Patrick's Day and an average of 10 members the next day.

But the firefighter's association says that's only 1 percent of the entire workforce and that it's a common number for any day of the year.

"It seems the city has gone out in public and mandated our members' behavior and started to make threats, basically, about how our members are acting," said Sean DeCrane of the Cleveland Firefighter's Association. "There doesn't seem to be a basis for it."

The city says it's to cut down on overtime spent on replacing firefighters who call in sick.

Fire stations have to be staffed, no matter if we have 13 firefighters strike off or 25 firefighters strike off," said Chief Brent Collins. "Those stations are still staffed."

But firefighters say if it was about money the city would have addressed the issue years ago.

"We just want to be treated with that respect from this administration," said DeCrane. "And I think our members have earned it. They have earned to have the administration come to them and be level with them."

If a firefighter is not home when the battalion chief checks on him or her, that firefighter will be called in and investigated.

This is currently only happening on St. Patrick's Day, but the city is looking into other holidays and weekends.

Related
    Latest streaming video

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-mail this

Forum Member

Exclamation

Well, They may have all the right to check on members that are sick. But what happens if the member isn't home when the BC comes by? The member may be at the doctors office! He may have to go for others tests at a hospital. Is the BC going to come back and check on the member again, even if the member was home when the BC came by?

If i mark off sick, I AM SICK! I don't take sick leave as an casual thing. I will usually either be in the bed or at my doctors office.

Maybe when the BC comes by and if the member answers the door with their toungue struck out, does this mean that the member is being disrespectable?

Stay Safe & Well out there.....

Forum Member

The corporate world has an answer to this issue, and it's called "Paid Time Off" where the employer (in this case, the city) doesn't care WHY a person bangs out, but he/she has a given number of days/hours to use. It keeps honest folks honest & doesn't get into ethical issues of calling in sick for a day off. 15 days to use however the hell you want! Be sick, be on vacation, be lazy.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Early Adopter

Certainly, I don't want my boss coming to my house to make sure that I'm sick. However, I can imagine that abuse of sick leave is a problem in some departments... and that they have to get creative to keep the problem in check.

My department has a great deal. In addition to our vacation and sick time, we get 72 hours of "Personal Leave" time. It can be used for any reason whatsoever and is approved 99% of the time if you give at least 24 hours notice. The PL time is usually more than enough to keep folks from abusing sick time.

Forum Member

First of all, I dont have to answer my door to anyone who comes to it, and certinally not a city person sent to "check up" on me. I may be showering, or oh yeah, that thing I do a lot when I am sick SLEEPing. Second of all, what about drs. appt., getting perscriptions filled. I live alone, sometimes if I am really sick I still go over to my parents house. Also, firefighting is a demanding job. I can be too sick to come into work, but not too sick to take my kid to school. I had food poisioning awhile ago, throwing up and all. Riding backwards in a fire engine and fighting a fire probably not the best place for me. However, I still may have things that have to get done outside of the house. What if you are out of town and sick? Is there a rule that sick days have to be used while in town, at home? Sounds like another reason to move out of the city (if allowed)

Forum Member

I may be showering, or oh yeah, that thing I do a lot when I am sick SLEEPing. Second of all, what about drs. appt., getting perscriptions filled. I live alone, sometimes if I am really sick I still go over to my parents house.
    Which is why the article said ...
    If a firefighter is not home when the battalion chief checks on him or her, that firefighter will be called in and investigated.
    If there is a reasonable explanation why you did not answer the door, then there is not a problem. No where in the article did I read that you would be fired for not answering the door. With that said, if you are at home, and as long as the guy isn't on the last clue of the $25,000 Pyramid, it may be in your best interest to answer the door ... especially if there is a Battalion Chief's car in the driveway. If you are at the Doctor's office, that is easy enough to verify. If you are at the Vitamin Y doctor ... well then you may have some trouble justifying that one.

I really don't see this as an attack on anyone's civil liberties. If I were in the position of someone calling in sick, I would see it as a minor inconvenience to save the city money ... money which could save someone's job.

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like another reason to move out of the city (if allowed)

Unfortunately, Cleveland does have a residency requirement.

Forum Member

Wonder how many people were visited today, and how many of them were home.

Thread Information