Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Here's why white hair often accompanies white helmets

You're on duty at the station and a tornado warning is issued. What is your course of action?

a) seek shelter in a sturdy area
    b) turn on the weather channel
    c) check the rig in case your area is hit
    d) go mudbogging in the new brush truck

Apparently, some folks think the answer is D. Here's a link to the story

-----------------
    SUMTER COUNTY, Fla. -- Sumter County's newest fire truck is back in service after it was in the shop off and on for two weeks. It was damaged when two firefighters took it out mud bogging.

While the price angered county officials, what really got the fire chief was what was happening while his men were out on the mud.

Karl Middleton and Josh Vogt were working at Station 34 after a heavy rain last month. According to a fire department report, Middleton, a lieutenant, convinced Vogt to take the year-old brush truck, worth $67,000, out to a mud pit near I-75.

Middleton was on the clock and probably should have been on high alert since there was a tornado warning and the truck was first responder for the area near Wildwood.

Instead, they were joy riding and they seriously damaged the brackets underneath the truck and the steering stabilizer. The truck was out of service for two full days. The bill was $1,200.

Taxpayers weren't too happy to hear about the mess and neither was the fire chief. He wrote in his report to Middleton that the event "shows that you have no regard for county property and no regard for the safety of the citizens of Sumter County".

The chief told Channel 9 they were able to move another vehicle to the station to protect families in the area.

Middleton, the driver, was fired and Vogt was suspended for 45 days.

The county wants to garnish Middleton's wages, but it may not cover the entire amount.

The fire chief said he's leaving it up to the county attorney to decide whether to go after Middleton for the remaining repair costs. We tried to reach Middleton on Monday, he didn't return our calls.

Exclamation

Just to show you, that all nuts are not on the trees.

Both should have been fired.

no thats not the answer, the answer is

e) Take the week old ambulance out and go storm chasing!

Hehehe! Just kidding, that was pretty dumb of them to do that during a tornado warning!
    Proud to be IACOJ!
    MD FF/EMT

MembersZone Subscriber tyler101's Avatar

Make sure to drive that brand new ambulance to the top of the parking garage so you can see the tornado coming in. Just don't forget to check the height of the parking garage so you dont get stuck on the way up. LOL!

IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thumbs up

Make sure to drive that brand new ambulance to the top of the parking garage so you can see the tornado coming in. Just don't forget to check the height of the parking garage so you dont get stuck on the way up. LOL!
    ROTFLMAO!
    Proud to be IACOJ!
    MD FF/EMT

Unhappy I hate when that happens.

I hate when one moment of stupidity adversely affects the image of any hard working fire department.

I never said the fire service was boring though.

Stay Healthy & Stay Safe,

Phil

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Dummies................

I don't know where these guys went to school, but it wasn't with me. I'd have skated right away with that mess, completely cleared in 2 minutes. "Well Chief, Jim Bob Boy said a tornado were comin, and we all know that the swamp mud will hold onto anything that gets in there, so we saved the truck from gittin blowed away" Next question?
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

By Hwoods:
    "Well Chief, Jim Bob Boy said a tornado were comin, and we all know that the swamp mud will hold onto anything that gets in there, so we saved the truck from gittin blowed away" Next question?
    Now there is a Chief for you, always thinking on his feet to find a way to keep his *** out of the fire (both real or proverbial).
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

they both should of been fired.
    If we don't do it nobody else will!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

For the life of me, I cannot think why these two would go mudbogging with a fire truck. Tornado warning notwithstanding. I wouldn't trust these two with my life, they clearly show poor judgement. Perhaps they would be happier on the monster truck circuit or some other suitable venture.

Thread Information