Thread: Ventilation

Forum Member

Default Ventilation

Are there any Departments out there that dont do any type of ventilation. We have a Department in the area that use to only bust out windows, they wouldnt let them do any type of verticle ventilation. I am not sure if its still like that. I was talking to a guy that use to run on that Department I believe in the 1980's. Whats your thoughts on this? Are there others that dont ventilate? Why wouldnt you ventilate?
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

firefighter3531
    Firehouse.com Guest

We usually only vent from windows. We try to stay off th roof as much as we can. Something i have noticed that down south we seem to stay off the roof and up north they have a thing about being on the roof lots of ff on the roof. Is it just me or do others see this.

Forum Member

There are a few names for FD's who won't ventilate....

Firefighter Killers and Cellar Savers!

Ventilation is one of the beread and butter operations of the fireground... in other words...vent early, vent often, vent correctly!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

The question is Why dont they ventilate?
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

MembersZone Subscriber

I would also have to ask why. And let me guess, when they do vent the windows, they aren't allowed to break them, they must open them properly. You don't know what you are missing by not being on the roof of a 3-decker, in the middle of the night, in a raging blizzard. Do all of the houses in that district have lightweight truss roofs? Vertical venting will help any possible victims, the advancing hose teams and help prevent a potential backdraft. Especially here in the north with balloon construction, if you have a good cellar fire, chances are you will also have a good attic fire and a hole in the roof is mandatory.

Forum Member

this town is mostly rural, it has a little town, there is a IGA, and a few gas stations and lots of trailer parks. There are really no tall structures.

The question about breaking windows, First when your in a hurry your most likely not going to take time to open the windows. But on the otehr hand what happens if you break out the wrong one, your screwed but if you just opened it you can close it. I do believe many homes in the area are balloon construction. There all mostly older homes.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

MembersZone Subscriber

Tall or Short vent them all!

Up until a few years ago there was little to no vertical venting done in our department. I stress and stress the need for vertical ventalation but it seems that it is the last thing on some departments minds.

Also I still see it all the time. One guy with an axe breaking every window in a structure. The untrained goof is causing far more trouble than good (really no good). Then departments wonder why their PPV didn't work and the structure burned to the ground.

I think that for the most part alot of officers get tunnel vision. They see fire and the only solution is water. A chainsaw on the roof is far from their mind and when they do think about it its too late.

As far as PPV fans go I see more of them set up after the fire to clear smoke out than used to fight fire.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

MembersZone Subscriber

You might have answered your own question when you described the town as:

mostly rural, it has a little town, there is a IGA, and a few gas stations and lots of trailer parks. There are really no tall structures.
    I'm from a small rural bedroom community with lots of trailers and mostly single story dwellings. Fact is, we get a significant number of our structure fire calls after the fire self-vents and the neighbors spot the flames. You can say we don't practice ventilation on these calls simply because the fire did it for us.

If what I just described isn't their situation, then I have no idea why they don't ventilate. Even with only a dozen or so working structure fires a year, we still end up performing horizontal or vertical ventilation on probably half of them.

Thread Information